speculative visionscience fiction and fantasy

The Influence of Trek

The grand daddy of Science Fiction as a franchise, Speculative Vision salutes the genius that is Star Trek.

Moderators: Bmat, Qray

Bookmark and Share

The Influence of Trek

Postby Bmat » Sat Jul 02, 2005 12:40 pm

It seems that frequently I hear or see references to Star Trek. What are some that you can remember?

Here's one to get us started.

I just watched a tape of John Belushi from Saturday Night Live. There was a TOS clip. Belushi was Shatner. The story was the last episode of TOS (The original series).
Bmat
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Blog: View Blog (10)

Postby Neurolanis » Tue Jul 05, 2005 9:10 pm

The ship design had a huge affect on real life ship designers and the designs of the original Enterprise are highly respected still by such experts. I'm not sure if I have this exactly right, but I believe the military intelligence or something modeled their headquarters exactly from the bridge of the Enterprise. The design is perfect, easy for people to quickly enter, move around and leave, without disrupting the people in command. The design of the ship itself is considered brilliant also for many practical reasons I don't fully understand. But the design isn't just for looks, it makes good logical sense too.

The items, such as their communication devices, that were considered silly at the time but are now a reality. Beaming still seems crazy, as in effect you're creating a clone, or copy, of a human being! Anyway, the tech stuff has inspired many people and continues to. Their science is highly logical also, with the best of experts making sure that it all adds up (or seems to.)

The idea that all divisions of people could together as an equal whole and work together is beautiful. No racism, sexism, or any apparent form of discrimination. Except for, perhaps, a dislike towards Klingons. Anyway, the optimistic vision has inspired and given hope to many viewers, young and old. It shows an advanced, better-functioning day of humanity. One to be proud of. Earth for earth, and embracing other cultures as they go.

The quality of the show -- its acting, writing, creativity, wit, music -- has inspired several other Trek shows and multiple other Sci-Fi shows and books. It had a strong black woman as a higher ranking officer, ordering around white men. Highly unusual in the day, or so I gather. I've seen black women interviewed who said they admired Ahoura (excuse spelling) when they were young.

Ultimately the show is very human. Its main themes include curiosity, optimism, and friendship. (And in Classic Trek, character.) This inspires positive thinking in those who see it. It makes me feel good to watch Trek, just for its humanity if nothing else.

P.S. I doubt Trek's hairstyle and fashion sense will inspire many.
Neurolanis
Resident Author
Resident Author

Postby Sindatur » Tue Aug 30, 2005 12:11 pm

Mad TV did a Trek TOS skit (Perhpas more than one) in Spanish, and it was absolutely hilarious. Since it was in Spanish for an English speaking audience, you can really tell the over-emphasis of the character's quirks, like Kirk's pauses.
Sindatur
Site Regular
Site Regular

Postby Desslok » Thu Sep 01, 2005 4:07 pm

The funniest moment in SNL history was when Shatner told off the Trekkers. I love Star Trek, but I just thought that sketch was hilarious!

Just as good was the same episode, where the Enterprise was bought by Marriott, and the crew served as waiters.

"We didn't change the name, Maaaaaaa'am..."

"Jim, there's no dressing on this at all! It's completely DRY!!!"

"Bones, this man needs medical attention!"
"Dammit Jim, I'm a doctor, not a... oh..."

"Doctor McCoy, would you do me the very great honor of eating my shorts?"
Desslok
New User
New User

Red Dwarf

Postby Caltana » Sat Oct 01, 2005 5:46 am

An early episode of Red Dwarf, the one where Kryten is going to be replaced I think, had the crew promising to stand by him and Kryten being touched, and saying something along the lines of "is this the nature of what you humans call... friendship"
A disgrunted Lister turns round and says "Don't give me that Star Trek *Beep,* its to early in the morning!"
"Hell? There is no Heaven, there is no Hell, there is only this place, the Land Of The Dead, my friend..."
-Kevin Heinz Fischer-Oakley.
Caltana
Site Regular
Site Regular

Postby Poisonbabyfood » Sat Oct 28, 2006 2:37 pm

[quote="Desslok"]The funniest moment in SNL history was when Shatner told off the Trekkers. I love Star Trek, but I just thought that sketch was hilarious!quote]

..."of course, that was, uh, Evil Kirk...
It is quite true that the clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence in society.
Poisonbabyfood
New User
New User

Return to Star Trek