Poetry Gab

The place to talk about the craft of writing.

Moderator: Bmat

Tremayne
New User
New User

Poetry Gab

Post by Tremayne »

Noticed there's not a place to discuss poetry in general, so here it is. I have nothing intelligent to say at the moment, just wanted to get this launched.

But I'll be back. :twisted:

Magus
Writer Extraordinaire
Writer Extraordinaire

Post by Magus »

We're learning sonnets in English currently. I promised a friend of mine that I'd write her a cycle (50-150) sonnets for reading her new journal (which, honestly, what was I supposed to do when she gave it to me to look at?). I'm working on the first and I have to say it gets old after the first two quatrains. But I suppose I must endure. 49-149 left to go afterwords, so I should keep my spirits up. I think to amuse myself I'll switch off writing Italian(abbabccb*turn*cdecde) and English(ababcdcdefef*turn*gg) Sonnets, and through in the likes of the ones written by Sir Edmond Spencer (ababbcbc*turn*cdcdee).

Tremayne
New User
New User

Post by Tremayne »

:smt082 That'll teach you, won't it! :smt079

Of course just to make it easier on yourself you start out with the harder form.

Funny you should bring up sonnets. I feel the same as you about them. I read a whole bunch a couple of summers ago hoping to warm up to the form but the one or two I've done are pretty sad. I'll post one some time soon. I can't seem to stretch them to pentameter, so I end up with sonnets in tetrameter, or more honestly, eight syllable lines (can't say they're iambic).

But the reason it's funny you bring it up is that I was thinking of talking about how Keats and his friends used to write sonnet letters to one another. Can you imagine? In some ways it's cool--writing poem letters back and forth. But they were all writing sonnets back and forth to one another. I read about this in a biography of Keats. It was one of the jaw dropper moments in the book--to think that people valued poetry in that way and that the writing of it was so common as to be a mode of expression in letters among young men.

BTW, the biography was John Keats: The Making of a Poet. I highly recommend it to anyone, not just poetry lovers. It's one of the best books I've ever read--and I don't normally go for biographies.

aldan
Artisan Wordsmith
Artisan Wordsmith

Post by aldan »

It is true that iambic pentameter is a pain to write in. I really can respect those who will bind themselves so thoroughly by writing with such restrictions. However, once you get used to using it, you will probably find that it gets much, much easier. It will just take a considerable amount of time for this to happen, most likely...
"It is better to keep your mouth shut and to appear stupid than
to open it and remove all doubt."
---Mark Twain

Magus
Writer Extraordinaire
Writer Extraordinaire

Post by Magus »

Yeah... but I'm sure I'll get the hang of it after 150 sonnets (2100 lines). I'm sure that my subconscious will by then start to trickle some of it into my other writing. Same thing happened when I was reading Beowulf/Sir Gawain and the Green Knight while we were learning about alliteration.

:rofl:

Tremayne
New User
New User

Post by Tremayne »

I can do iambic pentameter with a little warm up. What I can't do is both iambic pent. and rhyming at the same time. Just not a juggler. And then add the other backflips for a good sonnet and well . . . :cry:

Magus, you'll have to report the looks other people give you once you start speaking in sonnets. :smt103

I love the alliteration of anglo saxon verse. I've dabbled but would like to try more of that. You guys are reminding me of "attempts" from not that long ago that I've forgotten about. By golly, you may get me back into poetry again. In any case, I'll start posting some soon so you can see the results of my wrestling with form.

Magus
Writer Extraordinaire
Writer Extraordinaire

Post by Magus »

2 down, 148 left to go. I came up with another amusing idea I might try down the road when I'm looking for a way to keep the sonnets fresh; write a few in Spanish.

THAT will be amusing!

aldan
Artisan Wordsmith
Artisan Wordsmith

Post by aldan »

*aldan shudders at the picture that paints*
"It is better to keep your mouth shut and to appear stupid than
to open it and remove all doubt."
---Mark Twain

Magus
Writer Extraordinaire
Writer Extraordinaire

Post by Magus »

I actually have an amusing story about the sonnets that I'll save until I sleep and wake again later in the morning.

'Till then, adieu.

Ariel
Resident Author
Resident Author

Post by Ariel »

Magus showed me something amazing that he's writing! I melted!

Magus
Writer Extraordinaire
Writer Extraordinaire

Post by Magus »

It was nothing... just a response I PMed to her when she was ignoring me on another site... cheating on me with Anthentar as it were.

:roll:

It was absolutely nothing to melt over.