speculative visionscience fiction and fantasy

Sins of the Writer.

The place to talk about the craft of writing.

Moderators: Bmat, Qray

Bookmark and Share

Postby eleika » Tue Jul 18, 2006 12:19 am

I speak from terrible, terrible experience - blogs are very bad unless they have a specific purpose, or an explicitly defined readership.

For example, my "blog" at Livejournal is very personal, because that's where I log my everyday life. I keep it entirely friends-only for this reason, and I *still* have melodrama issues. (This would be an explicitly defined readership.)

On the other hand, the blurb I put up every month or so at eleika.com is something that has a specific purpose: I talk about my writing / art / webzine, plus anything that might be related to the site. But I keep personal issues out of it, for the most part. It's one thing to mention something once - like, say, getting diagnosed with MS - and another to talk about it constantly.

So yeah, I recommend against the writing blog, unless you're talking more about what you've published, and what you're up to currently, as opposed to ideas you're toying with and plots you want to try out. Unless, of course, you keep the blog private or friends-only.

As for webcomicking, there are always interested artists. Just don't expect them to set their lives aside for you - things will probably progress very slowly. You may surprise yourself by finding willing artists in the strangest places.
Eleika's Stuff: www.eleika.com
Rants and Reviews: http://delirium.nightgig.com
eleika
Casual Poster
Casual Poster

Postby HulloKitty202 » Mon Sep 11, 2006 8:07 pm

I would have to say my greatest strength is story structure.

I can (I think, and I hope) realistic situations for my characters and situations that naturally meld with the characters and their situations.

My greatest weakness is describing the world around my characters. Alot of my readers say its pretty vague, letting them do the rest. But is that a bad thing?
"The problem with the future is that it keeps turning into the present"
-Hobbes from "Calvin and Hobbes"
HulloKitty202
New User
New User

Postby Mikira » Tue Sep 12, 2006 10:45 am

eleika wrote:I speak from terrible, terrible experience - blogs are very bad unless they have a specific purpose, or an explicitly defined readership.

For example, my "blog" at Livejournal is very personal, because that's where I log my everyday life. I keep it entirely friends-only for this reason, and I *still* have melodrama issues. (This would be an explicitly defined readership.)

On the other hand, the blurb I put up every month or so at eleika.com is something that has a specific purpose: I talk about my writing / art / webzine, plus anything that might be related to the site. But I keep personal issues out of it, for the most part. It's one thing to mention something once - like, say, getting diagnosed with MS - and another to talk about it constantly.

So yeah, I recommend against the writing blog, unless you're talking more about what you've published, and what you're up to currently, as opposed to ideas you're toying with and plots you want to try out. Unless, of course, you keep the blog private or friends-only.

As for webcomicking, there are always interested artists. Just don't expect them to set their lives aside for you - things will probably progress very slowly. You may surprise yourself by finding willing artists in the strangest places.

Eleika...this is great advice. I started a blog on this website, since it's not public domain unless I want it to be. I plan to use it as a writing tool only. Something to put my thoughts about subjects that are bothering me. (Such as did the oil companies gouge us this summer, I hope the President doesn't publicly announce when he plans on pulling troops out of Iraq. <In my opinion it would be a dangerous thing to do for our troops stationed in harms way.> Things like that.)

I also plan to write about writing issues in general. (IE: I learn something new that I feel is great advice, for all writers, I will write about it.)

But I won't write personal stuff about myself. I also won't write about my ongoing projects. Except maybe to give an update on whether it's completed and I sent it off to a magazine or agent.

One last thing I'll write about are my favorite sports teams.

:ontopic: (Okay back to the topic of this thread)

I feel my strength is that I can visualize a story and write it without having to map it out on paper first. In doing this I feel it has a more natural progression and I'm not forcing my novel to be what I first visualized it to be.

My biggest weakness is I have frequent writers block, which causes me to put a work aside until the block lifts.
God doesn't make mistakes.
Mikira
True Visionary
True Visionary

Postby orena » Sat Sep 23, 2006 10:15 am

My strength would have to be creating an in depth world for my stories to take place in, I've always been good at giving characters, places and so forth a history that explains why they would do something or feel something in a story.

My weakness though would be a tie between the difficulty of getting myself to sit down and write something, and causing an info dump of unnecessary information when I do.
orena
Just Registered
Just Registered

Re: Sins of the Writer.

Postby lovesaphira » Fri Mar 13, 2009 8:37 pm

i would say that my greatest strength is coming up with the characters. I always think of cool backgrounds for all my characters even lesser characters. And even my villains. The main villain of the story i'm currently writing is a tyical evil sorcerer who wants revenge and to rule BUT he also has family and stuff. Not many though. His parents are dead so he only has a sister now. lol.

My greatest weakness has to be linking one plot point to another. I'm terrible at writing the stuff in between coz i can never think of anything. lol.
lovesaphira
Just Registered
Just Registered

Postby Grand Evander » Tue Mar 17, 2009 7:54 pm

I would say my greatest strength is my creativity. I don't impose discipline as to where my mind can wander and it's taken me enough interesting places in the past.

My greatest weakness... that lack of discipline also leads to too much flexibility. I find my writing to be too iterative at times. Often, I will revise whole scenes and sections of my story to incorporate a new idea or direction.
Grand Evander
True Visionary
True Visionary

Postby Talon Sinnah » Tue Mar 24, 2009 12:10 pm

I do the same thing GE. It sucks too but I usually come out with a longer story because of it.
I am the poet of the body and I am the poet of the Soul. The pleasures of heaven are with me and the pains of hell are with me. The first I graft and increase upon myself, the latter I translate into a new tongue.

-Walt Whitman-
Talon Sinnah
Artisan Wordsmith
Artisan Wordsmith

Blog: View Blog (9)

Postby Ariel » Tue Mar 24, 2009 10:48 pm

GE!!!!!! Where have you been????? ~~hugs~~
Ariel
Resident Author
Resident Author

Blog: View Blog (3)

Postby Talon Sinnah » Wed Mar 25, 2009 10:58 am

His location says New York New Yourk. :P
I am the poet of the body and I am the poet of the Soul. The pleasures of heaven are with me and the pains of hell are with me. The first I graft and increase upon myself, the latter I translate into a new tongue.

-Walt Whitman-
Talon Sinnah
Artisan Wordsmith
Artisan Wordsmith

Postby Grand Evander » Thu Mar 26, 2009 9:50 pm

Hi Ariel,

I stop at the SV occasionally and decided to make a post. It's not the same now that the a lot of the people I knew here have left (in many senses of the word). Mostly I've left writing forums like these in favor of agent blogs, which I highly recommend as cognate reading. I think I've developed an understanding of the craft as it applies to me and am concentrating now on gathering insight about the aspects of writing post-ms.

I still haven't learned how to deal with it, Talon. My best approach is just writing every idea I think of down for later reference, and if it still seems like a good idea later then I think about incorporating it. These days I've been trying to unify my writing into a cohesive vision. I'm revisiting the scenes I might have been capricious in writing in an attempt to assimilate those vignettes into the overarching story.

Tis a pleasure to make your acquaintance and may this post find you in good health.

Cheers,

GE
Grand Evander
True Visionary
True Visionary

Postby Talon Sinnah » Fri Mar 27, 2009 4:05 pm

Ah man you left us for more "professional" friends that hurts GE. :twisted: I can understand that it is better then why I stayed away I guess. Reality sucks.

Another thing I am going to have to start doing, keeping a note book.

-Walt Whitman-
Talon Sinnah
Artisan Wordsmith
Artisan Wordsmith

Postby Grand Evander » Fri Mar 27, 2009 5:25 pm

I think it was more that I found myself having less questions about how to write and more questions about how to evaluate what I've written...

I've had my fair share of communities of writers. I tried two creative writing classes while in college but academia celebrates literary fiction, as small a market as that is. It's not that they lack insight but more that they lack the language and knowledge of the genre tropes to have meaningful insight.

I also feel stagnant when I get tied down to one place for too long... a personality flaw perhaps?

Reality does suck... hence why we invent our own realities. :wink:
Grand Evander
True Visionary
True Visionary

PreviousNext

Return to General Writing Discussion