Map making

The place to talk about the craft of writing.

Moderator: Bmat

Mornara
True Visionary
True Visionary

Map making

Post by Mornara »

Ok, this has been thwarting me for a while now, and I'm hoping that someone here has some ideas!

I need to be able to create a map on my computer. I have maps on paper, but they are either too big to carry with me, or too small to get detail, and I just need them on my computer, and I don't have a scanner.

I have a couple of friends who write or are artists, and they recommend Photoshop. Is this a good program for maps? I plan to use it for concept art, but it's pretty expensive, and it might be a while. If there's something better and/or less expensive that anyone knows about, I'd really appreciate suggestions!
Ita Est

Magus
Writer Extraordinaire
Writer Extraordinaire

Post by Magus »

I wouldn't know specifically in terms of maps.

t_tibke
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by t_tibke »

Ahh. That'd be MY specialty. Without a scanner, you probably won't want to use Photoshop for your maps either. Well, I'll put it this way, you'll be drawing with the mouse; and if you've ever tried that, it has a certain "quality" about it that looks like - well, like you've drawn it with a mouse ;D

If that's what you're happy with, then go right ahead. Although, using MS Paint will get you the same effect, so there's no use spending money on Photoshop for that. Photoshop can provide additional highlighting and shading abilities, and the use of gradient colors (blending), but aside from that, just put one together in MS Paint, or pay someone to do your map up for you.... OR.... get your map scanned at a place like Kinko's or any other printing specialty place that has workstations with scanners. Then you can do it up right.
T_Tibke

aldan
Artisan Wordsmith
Artisan Wordsmith

Post by aldan »

Heck, if you just want something there, you can even use the bleeding little paint program on XP (like I did). That MIGHT be MS Paint, but it's only labelled for me as "Paint" so I'm unsure. If you're going to do it that way, though, do a basic sketch with your mouse in full-size and then use the magnifying glass to get up close and personal so that you can adjust it to actually look closer to how you want it to look. Quality's not fantastic, but it does the trick and all that....
"It is better to keep your mouth shut and to appear stupid than
to open it and remove all doubt."
---Mark Twain

t_tibke
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by t_tibke »

Yeah, that's the one I was meaning. You're right, it is just called Paint....... made by Microsoft. My mistake.
T_Tibke

Mornara
True Visionary
True Visionary

Post by Mornara »

Ok, thanks guys, I'll see if I can make it work!
Ita Est

Dragonfleet
Casual Poster
Casual Poster

Post by Dragonfleet »

I love making maps. I used to make mine on MS Paint until I bought PS 7.0. Here's a map I made from a RP story I was working on: Map. I'm not too sure about the background, was trying for that folded look but nevermind. ^^;

t_tibke
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by t_tibke »

Here's a map that I happened to have uploaded already. Its not that good really, and has changed a decent amount since its inception, but like I said, it was readily available:

http://www.geocities.com/t_tibke/Armage ... Caball.jpg
T_Tibke

Havoc
Site Regular
Site Regular

Post by Havoc »

bleeding hell.... if you'll excuse the expression. How'd you get those maps (eh... metal gear??? very funny dragonfleet)

Seriously, I tried and tried but my maps always look like something that flew out of the wrong end of a cow.
It's the pacing mate.... PACING!!!

Dragonfleet
Casual Poster
Casual Poster

Post by Dragonfleet »

Havoc wrote:bleeding hell.... if you'll excuse the expression. How'd you get those maps (eh... metal gear??? very funny dragonfleet)

Seriously, I tried and tried but my maps always look like something that flew out of the wrong end of a cow.

Yes, the robotic denizens of Metal Gear are very proud of their island. :P I really should change that...

Luthien Rogue
Just Registered
Just Registered

Post by Luthien Rogue »

It depends on what you're looking for. If you plan to make maps on your pc, then make sure you get a Tablet (Wacoms are good.) Much better than a mouse.

If you're looking for a painted effect, then try downloading openCanvas, a free art program. Link.

If you'd rather not spend hundreds of dollars on Photoshop, then you can download Gimp, another free art program, which is much like Photoshop. Search Google for "Gimp Download".

Spiderkeg
Site Regular
Site Regular

Post by Spiderkeg »

My girlfriend merely draws out her map on white construction paper. She uses colored pencils to shade in the lands, towns, forests, etc. She then uses water colors to paint the oceans. Using water colors, she also fills in the lands, mainly using colored pencils to add detail and depth while the water colors add the broad spans of straight color.

She's very good at this. I would scan in one of her maps to show you, but she would probably object. She's very protective of her maps in conjuction of her stories.