Map making

The place to talk about the craft of writing.

Moderator: Bmat

Bread Butterbeard
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by Bread Butterbeard »

You could always do what I am doing, hire T_T bike to make them lol Elkiea is good at maps to she made one for me and it rocked.
"The world you know is over Grandmaster Shard, will you stand and fight for your people, or let them slip into darkness?" Tartikoff Greenwood to Brayan James Shard

Fifthwind, Terry Brooks, Legends

Vanguard
Just Registered
Just Registered

Wonderful map program

Post by Vanguard »

Program I like is called Campaign Cartographer. I have my world mapped out and constantly refer to it to keep from making directional and/or geographical blunders in my writing. Maybe might be something you are interested in. Ill put the address to it below:

http://www.profantasy.com/Products/cc2.asp

Havoc
Site Regular
Site Regular

Post by Havoc »

I recently added a sketch-artist to my real-life circle of friends. He's currently transforming my written description into a comprehensive map with high artistic freedom. W00T
It's the pacing mate.... PACING!!!

Mornara
True Visionary
True Visionary

Post by Mornara »

Dang, how did I miss all the posts on this? I feel so incredibly intelligent now. :? Wow, I've checked out a few of these, we'll see how they go!
Ita Est

eleika
Casual Poster
Casual Poster

Post by eleika »

... Or, if you like, I could make one for you. ^_^
Eleika's Stuff: www.eleika.com
Rants and Reviews: http://delirium.nightgig.com

Dragonfleet
Casual Poster
Casual Poster

Post by Dragonfleet »

Havoc wrote:I recently added a sketch-artist to my real-life circle of friends. He's currently transforming my written description into a comprehensive map with high artistic freedom. W00T

Wow, that's awesome Havoc. I can draw the basic design for a map on photoshop but I wish I knew someone who could add in greater detail such as coloured mountains and deserts and whatnot. =/

Vanguard
Just Registered
Just Registered

Features

Post by Vanguard »

The link I posted above is for software program that allows you to do such things, Dragon. Many different topographic features and colors.

Dragonfleet
Casual Poster
Casual Poster

Post by Dragonfleet »

Ah cool, I'll go check it out. :)

Mornara
True Visionary
True Visionary

Post by Mornara »

Whoa, did someone just volunteer to make a map for me?!? Eleika, if you are serious... Dang. Actually, I have to learn how to do it sooner or later, it's just that, me being very new to the trade, I do not have much experience or programs.

And the lands seems to keep changing and shifting, which is making it very hard to produce a final map! Stupid shape-changing world. :smt013
Ita Est

eleika
Casual Poster
Casual Poster

Post by eleika »

No, you don't "have" to learn how to make a map, as long as you have a general idea of how things are laid out. Tell me, and I'll put it together professionally for you. I've found that having a map done often helps me tell the story better, but then, I've always been a very spatial person.

Yes, I am volunteering. PM me for more info.
Eleika's Stuff: www.eleika.com
Rants and Reviews: http://delirium.nightgig.com

Dragonfleet
Casual Poster
Casual Poster

Post by Dragonfleet »

Oh I'll have to take you up on that offer Eleika. Thanks. ^^ Will have to work on the basic outline of my map beforehand though...

thegreentick
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by thegreentick »

Call this going overboard but what I did was bought a globe, peeled off the picture of earth, primed it white, and drew my entire world onto it. That way, I can know how everything relates to everything else on a global scale. I also find that I can be a lot more accurate with placing mountain ranges, etc in relation to where tectonic plate boundaries and the like are. I haven't found a computer program that will allow me to do this, so I stick with my globe and pencil.