speculative visionscience fiction and fantasy

Ever felt like just giving up?

The place to talk about the craft of writing.

Moderators: Bmat, Qray

Bookmark and Share

Postby Manji » Sat Apr 23, 2005 8:56 am

Thanks for all your responses.
Aslan, did you happen to play urkle? Oh, please, be the guy who played urkle!
Really, I liked urkle.
Manji
Site Regular
Site Regular

Postby Talon Sinnah » Tue May 03, 2005 10:10 am

Cool we got a movie star on the site.

Now that that is over. I usually find it best to talk to someone about my stories. Once I get feed back I decide what to do with it, and I prefer constructive feed back over negative and positive because it might bring into life something I have yet to think of.
I am the poet of the body and I am the poet of the Soul. The pleasures of heaven are with me and the pains of hell are with me. The first I graft and increase upon myself, the latter I translate into a new tongue.

-Walt Whitman-
Talon Sinnah
Artisan Wordsmith
Artisan Wordsmith

Blog: View Blog (9)

Postby Magus » Tue May 03, 2005 2:50 pm

It's always good to have somebody that can offer helpful, constructive criticism for your work, one that you're comfortable in showing it to and whose advice you'd respect enough to consider, one who knows what you're looking for and working to improve on.
Magus
Writer Extraordinaire
Writer Extraordinaire

Postby Alaskamatt17 » Tue May 03, 2005 3:04 pm

Magus, don't worry too much. I understand what it's like to have a huge workload. In fact, I just found out yesterday that I have an ulcer from stress. People my age aren't supposed to have ulcers.
After a certain high level of technical skill is achieved, science and art tend to coalesce in esthetics, plasticity, and form. The greatest scientists are always artists as well.
-Albert Einstein
Alaskamatt17
Casual Poster
Casual Poster

Postby Magus » Tue May 03, 2005 3:15 pm

An ulcer? That's not good. I hope it gets better soon.
Magus
Writer Extraordinaire
Writer Extraordinaire

Postby Cirse » Wed May 04, 2005 11:13 am

For years i spent too much of my time being afraid to write something serious because I thought it would be bad. I'm at the point now where I'm just going to write it. If its bad, it can be fixed. Or it cant. We'll see. I have a writer's group the meets weekly for critiques. Its a huge help. These people know what they're talking about. And Ive found that I have a problem with telling not showing. So i have lots to go back in and fix.

I get discouraged, but I think its finally time. I really want to tell this story. So I will.
Cirse
Just Registered
Just Registered

Postby Magus » Wed May 04, 2005 7:19 pm

Good luck with that. If you'd like to post some of it here I'm sure people would be more then happy to help you out in whatever way they see best. It's really important, I feel, that nobody really give up on their writing.

I've recently hit a slight slum in my writing. It's not depression or writer's block... more like a dissatisfaction of the story at the moment. I felt that I was doing little more then a string of battles. It starts off where this one would-be rapists and assaulter gets killed by my protagonist. They then go into a forest where, after a few hours of walking, they get ambushed by a mage. After killing him they come across a creature that somehow can control light (I know why, but the reason isn't important for the moment). He refuses to let them pass without defeating his three other cohorts, and will black out the path so that they cannot return to their path if they choose to flee. So now I had three more fights, plus the plan is afterwords they get abducted by the leader of the group and are used as underground gladiators.

So, while I was unsatisfied at the moment, I still wrote on. Now the first one was defeated and I got out of this dissatisfaction-thing. I actually feel revitalized about it.

So, really, if you stick with it most anxieties and problems will work themselves out.
Magus
Writer Extraordinaire
Writer Extraordinaire

Postby Chaeronia » Thu May 05, 2005 2:57 am

Magus wrote:I've recently hit a slight slum in my writing. It's not depression or writer's block... more like a dissatisfaction of the story at the moment.

To me this is perhaps the worst of my writing afflictions. It happens to me every time and it invariably signals the death of the story. I become unsatisfied with what I am writing, lose my motivation to go back to it every day (which is crucial, imo), and the energy and focus disappears.

Combined with this I often then think of another story I'd like to begin, often revolved around one battle scene or one interesting character. I get carried away with the new project thus consigning the old one to the script retirement home.

I'm sure a lot of the reasoning for this is because I don't plan my stories well in advance. I generally write off-the-cuff with only a basic idea where the story will lead, as I have a total aversion to making notes, formulating in-depth plotlines etc. I like the writing to flow when the inspiration takes me, but I know this spontaneous method costs me in the end.

Having said that, I do get enormous enjoyment out of writing these disjointed scraps and because I am so busy elsewhere and don't have much of an ambition to be a published author (not yet, anyway) due to other pursuits, it doesn't concern me too much.

I don't make the aim of finishing a story the focus of my life; I just greatly enjoy the writing as and when I choose to do it.

Or, more accurately, when it chooses me.
'There's a vampire, dad. It's trying to get me.'
'I know, son,' he said softly. 'I saw it.'
'You saw it?'
'Yeah. I broke its bloody neck. I won't have no vampires in my house.'
Chaeronia
New User
New User

Postby Magus » Thu May 05, 2005 3:04 pm

Interesting. I've heard others take the same, or similar, approach before. It doesn't work too well for me, who's kind of obsessed in knowing where a story of mine is going.

But my only advise to anybody in a similar spot as I was while writing is to just keep writing, specifically what you're having trouble with. Oftentimes I suspect it is only in our heads, our own over-critical selves beating us a little harder then usual. But that usually dies down after a little while and we can continue writing. At least, that's my take on it.
Magus
Writer Extraordinaire
Writer Extraordinaire

Postby Neurolanis » Thu May 05, 2005 3:53 pm

Yes, keep writing.

However a breath of fresh air to clear your could help also.

My opinion: when we "experience" Writer's Block or anything like that it's because we've distanced ourselves from our work. The people become characters, the fantasy becomes a plot, the emotions become words. The trick here is to trigger your "heart connection" -- so to speak -- to your work. This might be done by bringing in a new character, a new idea, or stepping back from it for a little. Different things for different people. But when you really get a project under way you should finish the work! :wink:
Neurolanis
Resident Author
Resident Author

Postby eleika » Sun May 08, 2005 10:56 pm

Although I agree with the whole "keep writing" bit, I also think that there's such a thing as burnout. Either you've been working on something for so long it just no longer looks good no matter what you write ... or you just need a break.

I find that I can take a break by working on another story, or even reading a book of some sort. That way, I'm still immersed in writing and reading, but I'm taking a break from the plot at hand. In fact, I've been inspired that way.

The important thing, of course, is that you eventually return to the original manuscript. :) As Stephen King pointed out in On Writing, if you'd rather be washing the car or walking the dog, maybe you don't really want to be a writer. But you've been hanging around SV for quite some time, Manji ... I highly doubt it's that.
Eleika's Stuff: www.eleika.com
Rants and Reviews: http://delirium.nightgig.com
eleika
Casual Poster
Casual Poster

Postby Aslan » Mon May 09, 2005 5:06 pm

Manji, I have no idea what urkle is. Sorry!
Aslan
New User
New User

PreviousNext

Return to General Writing Discussion