speculative visionscience fiction and fantasy

Make Money

The place to talk about the craft of writing.

Moderators: Bmat, Qray

Bookmark and Share

Postby Qray » Sat Jan 06, 2007 4:35 am

Your lips say yes, but the lack of books say...not so much :wink:

Neurolanis wrote:... how can a person make money at this?

The only thing I can think of has already been said...submit, submit, submit.
I'm going to die the way I've lived...poor, screaming, and naked.
Qray

Blog: View Blog (49)

Postby Grand Evander » Sat Jan 06, 2007 1:59 pm

When considering how profitable a literary work can be, it's important to consider both word count and genre. For instance, from what I've read a new author selling a fiction novel usually receives an advance of around $7,000 - $10,000, while for nonfiction the average is around $150,000.

Word count is somewhat of a double-edged sword. If an author is being paid by word count (neglecting the issue of how to acquire a word count), then more words would translate to more profit. An expensive cost for a publisher, however, is the paper on which the work is printed, so a very high word count would also discourage the publisher from accepting the submission (this is more for novels than anything else).

Qray is right, Neuro. Submit, submit, submit!
Grand Evander
True Visionary
True Visionary

Postby Neurolanis » Sun Jan 07, 2007 8:02 am

Actually my dad read somewhere that for a starting fantasy novel the advance is only 2 or 3 grand. :(

Yeah, I guess I should re-submit my old stories then..
Neurolanis
Resident Author
Resident Author

Postby Qray » Sun Jan 07, 2007 2:54 pm

Grand Evander wrote:...from what I've read a new author selling a fiction novel usually receives an advance of around $7,000 - $10,000, while for nonfiction the average is around $150,000.

$150,000! Man, I need to write nonfiction.
I'm going to die the way I've lived...poor, screaming, and naked.
Qray

Blog: View Blog (49)

Postby Sara » Thu Jan 11, 2007 11:15 pm

I don't know that I'd knock a couple of grand as an advance, either, personally. Hey -- personally, I haven't, LOL.

Generally speaking, as a first-time, new author, getting an advance of a couple of grand per title out of a big publisher all on your own is a heck of an accomplishment. An agent may be able to wrangle you more. The stories you hear about the first-time novelist who receives a six-figure advance are pretty few and far between.

If you're looking to make a living at writing, my personal recommendation is to look beyond the short story market, unless you can find a regular, paying outlet to purchase your work. Focus your creative energy on producing and pitching a novel-length manuscript that can get you some cash.

For spending bucks, build up a writing portfolio doing freelance writing. Check with local newspapers, because the smaller ones are usually always interested in adding good writers to their rosters. Yeah, you can't expect to make much doing it, but if you get $50 and article, and you write two each month for a monthly newspaper, for example, and it takes you about 2 hours to do it, tops, then we're talking pretty easy money while you're adding to your writing experience. And all without taking up a lot of time.

My two-cents worth. :)
From worlds beyond imagination to the world of the past, discover the worlds of author Sara Reinke at www.sarareinke.com.
Sara
New User
New User

Previous

Return to General Writing Discussion