speculative visionscience fiction and fantasy

Update

The place to talk about the craft of writing.

Moderators: Bmat, Qray

Bookmark and Share

Postby Dark Knight » Thu Jun 14, 2007 3:53 pm

Congrats....
Dark Knight
Artisan Wordsmith
Artisan Wordsmith

Blog: View Blog (7)

Postby Bread Butterbeard » Thu Jun 14, 2007 4:05 pm

goog job, and good, no Great Luck my friend.
"The world you know is over Grandmaster Shard, will you stand and fight for your people, or let them slip into darkness?" Tartikoff Greenwood to Brayan James Shard

Fifthwind, Terry Brooks, Legends
Bread Butterbeard
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Neurolanis » Thu Jun 14, 2007 4:57 pm

Thanks. :D

Between moving and looking for a new job and finishing up my book I've been ... rather busy. Not sure when I'll get things straightened out...
Neurolanis
Resident Author
Resident Author

Postby Ariel » Fri Jun 15, 2007 7:20 am

Woo Hoo!
Ariel
Resident Author
Resident Author

Blog: View Blog (3)

Postby Llew » Fri Jun 15, 2007 4:40 pm

:lol:

Congratz, man!
“I Speak Spanish to God, Italian to Women, French to Men, and German to My Horse” - Charles V, King of Spain and Holy Roman Emperor, 1500–58
Llew
True Visionary
True Visionary

Postby Neurolanis » Mon Jun 25, 2007 3:53 pm

Thanks. :)

I sent my query letter off about four days ago, so it should be there today or tomorrow. The agent responds within two weeks, or tries to. The agency has a clientele of over 100 authors! I know, a lot. But she says that although she is always busy her clientele is "never full." So, there is hope. If she really likes my query letter, four sample pages and one-page synopsis...
Neurolanis
Resident Author
Resident Author

Postby LightBrigade » Mon Jun 25, 2007 4:10 pm

Good luck, Neuro *broad smile* Please, keep us informed.
LightBrigade
Site Regular
Site Regular

Postby Neurolanis » Fri Oct 05, 2007 3:52 pm

Never heard back from the first agent I submitted to. For this I can deduct four reasons: 1. I excluded a SASE (perhaps bad advice.) 2. In retrospect my query made me sound arrogant (now that I've grasped a better understanding of how these literary folks seem to typically think.) 3. The word count is huge; even if broken down to three books. Still. For an unpublished author it demands a leap of faith. 4. Added to the above, I live north of the border and can't just 'drop by' to visit.

I'm working on fixing these mistakes as they can be treated. Also, I have been reworking my website. The short stories I have online are not the finest examples of work. Now that I have more time I should work to build up my site and try submitting quality stories. If anyone has any advice...
Neurolanis
Resident Author
Resident Author

Postby RHFay » Fri Oct 05, 2007 4:22 pm

Neurolanis wrote:In retrospect my query made me sound arrogant (now that I've grasped a better understanding of how these literary folks seem to typically think.)

Hey Neurolanis, have you consulted writer's references such as Writer's Market? They usually have examples of query letters with advice on how to write them. They also give advice on how to go about querying agents, with some contact information.

It is definitely not a good thing to sound arrogant in a query letter. Remember that it's the first thing an agent/editor/publisher will see. It's vital to make a very good first impression. Say something about your writing experience and what makes your story special, but remember to keep it professional.

If your work is actually a trilogy, it might be a hard sell as is. Remember, a trilogy involves a commitment from an agent or publisher for three books instead of just one. Agents and publishers may be less willing to gamble on a series of three new books versus just one.

Is there any way that you could have the first part stand on it's own, with the others as potential sequels? From what I've read, you might not want to mention the fact that it's potentially a trilogy right away. It might scare away some potential agents.

Definitely work on building a list of publications. Anything that you have that can show an agent or publisher that your a publishable author will help get you noticed. Get some stories out to various print magazines and e-zines. Duotrope's Digest http://duotrope.com/ and Ralan' s Webstravaganza http://ralan.com/ both list potential markets. They are useful tools for the aspiring writer.

I checked out your web site. Not bad, but I think you do come off a bit arrogant in your bio. I am all for self-promotion, but I think it's in poor taste to say that your work is "sure to be a best-seller". The bio in this instance should be less about your work, and more about you.

Please take these comments as intended: constructive criticism. I actually took a look at a few other's author's sites when I developed my own web site. I modelled my biography after others I perused. I would suggest that you do the same. Do a little research into what other authors have on their sites.

One more thing: as you get more published, you will probably want a separate "list of publications" page.

I hope my words of advice were helpful.

Cheers!
"I'm going to do what the warriors of old did. I'm going to recite poetry!" Andrew of Armar.
RHFay
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Neurolanis » Sat Oct 06, 2007 11:04 am

Thank you very much, RHfay! Your advice was very good and I'll follow it! :D
Neurolanis
Resident Author
Resident Author

Postby RHFay » Sat Oct 06, 2007 12:19 pm

Any time you need help, just ask. There are plenty of people around here that can help you out.

I know how hard it can be to get a writing career off the ground. I may not have had any prose accepted yet, but I've had plenty of poetry accepted. I know how important the query/cover letter can be.

You definitely want to look as professional as you can. Not just in your query letter, but on your web site as well. Anything that makes you look like an amatuer will work against you. Remember, publication is a very competitive field. You must rise above all the other works in the "slush pile".

I'm glad my comments were helpful.

Cheers!
"I'm going to do what the warriors of old did. I'm going to recite poetry!" Andrew of Armar.
RHFay
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Neurolanis » Sun Oct 07, 2007 1:35 pm

I agree. I'm learning this more and more. I will continue to go over and over my website/query letter, ect.
Neurolanis
Resident Author
Resident Author

PreviousNext

Return to General Writing Discussion