speculative visionscience fiction and fantasy

Odd Words

The place to talk about the craft of writing.

Moderators: Bmat, Qray

Bookmark and Share

Postby Qray » Sun Jan 21, 2007 11:31 am

I wouldn't cut them all. You just need to perform that fine balancing act of keeping in those period words that help set the mood and draw your reader into the world your creating.

I wouldn't just throw away the words you do deem to cut either. Save them for the next book in the series (if you think there might be one.) Introducing new period words in each book. It'll help cut down research time on the next book.
I'm going to die the way I've lived...poor, screaming, and naked.
Qray

Blog: View Blog (49)

Postby eleika » Sun Mar 04, 2007 2:18 am

As a not-too-bright reader, I wouldn't even know the glossary exists until I finished reading the book and stumbled upon it.

(OK, doesn't happen anymore, but did a few times when I was a teen. Seriously, why would I flip to the back of the book, especially when there's no indication that a glossary exists, not even a table of contents?)
Eleika's Stuff: www.eleika.com
Rants and Reviews: http://delirium.nightgig.com
eleika
Casual Poster
Casual Poster

Postby Bmat » Sun Mar 04, 2007 7:11 am

More than once I have struggled through the obscure names and references in a book only to find a glossary at the end. I agree with Eleika about why would I assume there there would be one. Perhaps a notation at the beginning of the book should mention that there is a glossary.
Bmat
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Blog: View Blog (10)

Postby Spiderkeg » Wed Mar 07, 2007 4:19 pm

Tolkien used glossaries to give definitions and/or additional depth, but man, that guy was an accomplished and published writer on Anglo-Saxon language and English literature. He was fully qualified, and thank God he did, to have a glossary to help explain his stories because they were pretty damn complex when you get down to it.

Are YOU planning to get complex on a level like that?

If having the reader well versed and caught up on the words and references used for your story isn't vital, then I wouldn't worry about having a glossary.

I'm curious. Is your story set on Earth, or some other distance land that has no relation to Earth?
Spiderkeg
Site Regular
Site Regular

Previous

Return to General Writing Discussion