speculative visionscience fiction and fantasy

One writer's experience...

The place to talk about the craft of writing.

Moderators: Bmat, Qray

Bookmark and Share

Postby RHFay » Thu May 24, 2007 4:45 pm

aldan wrote:Doh! Shows that it's been awhile since I looked at a US map!

MA, RI, CT, NJ... are all relatively close to the Metropolis of NY (known as NYC), but VT and NH are both near ME, and all three are North and East of the NYC.

I'm about 150 miles up the Hudson River from the Big Apple. I'm actually closer to the borders of Massachusetts and Vermont than I am to New York City. They are east of where I live, while Conneticut and New Jersey are south. Still, I live in a rather large "upstate" metropolitan area (sigh - I used to be a country boy, but I left the middle of nowhere to go to college many moons ago).

Ariel wrote:You sure would! Hope you're not shy.

I hope I've actually started to create a ready-made audience right here! Places like this are a good place to stir up interest, as long as it isn't blatant self-promotion. It's good to make friendly connections with new people. (I'm actually an introvert in person, but a bit of an extrovert on-line, so this is a good venue for me to "meet" new people, even if it's just in a virtual environment.)

shadow wrote:I think once you are a developed, publishable author, it's just a matter of sending your works to the right places at the right time.

That's what I'm hoping will happen! That's why, after being turned down by every agent I sent to, I reached the decision to restart my poetry career after a long hiatus, figuring poetry was the quickest route to getting published. I'm hoping having some poetry published will lead to short stories, and eventually novels. I couldn't face just writing another novel right now without something on my list of publications.

I do suspect that many agents never really looked that hard at my sample chapters after seeing the lack of publications on my query letter. I'm hoping my recent publications will help, but I know I have a long way to go. I need some examples of prose on my list before I tackle novels again.

It takes a lot of work, and luck, and patience.

Cheers!
"I'm going to do what the warriors of old did. I'm going to recite poetry!" Andrew of Armar.
RHFay
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Ariel » Fri May 25, 2007 4:37 pm

RH and Shadow are in New York. I am in Rhode Island. Llew is in Maine. Isn't B'mat from New England too? Some day we'll have to meet up somewhere. :D

Anyway, much luck to you RH in your writing endeavors. Continue to share your thoughts and ideas with everyone.
Ariel
Resident Author
Resident Author

Blog: View Blog (3)

Postby Grand Evander » Sat May 26, 2007 11:40 am

I wonder how many SV members are from the East Coast/North East. I myself live in NYC. I thought it strange that most posts to SV are made during the morning to evening hours of Eastern Standard Time and not usually later than midnight here.

And you have a valid point, RHFay. Agents like to see that you have publications relevant to both your genre and area of writing. It's a sort of catch 22... to be published you need to have been published. For novels, having short stories published in your genre definitely strengthens your portfolio, but they should be in readily recognizable and reputable publications.
Grand Evander
True Visionary
True Visionary

Postby RHFay » Sat May 26, 2007 2:07 pm

Grand Evander wrote:And you have a valid point, RHFay. Agents like to see that you have publications relevant to both your genre and area of writing. It's a sort of catch 22... to be published you need to have been published.

You don't know how many times I've said exactly the same thing! It's definitely a Catch 22 situation.

Grand Evander wrote:For novels, having short stories published in your genre definitely strengthens your portfolio, but they should be in readily recognizable and reputable publications.

It's sort of like the requirements to get a membership to the Science Fiction and Fantasy Writers of America.

To become an associate member, you need one paid sale of prose fiction (such as short stories) to a qualifying professional market, paid at the rate of 5c/word or higher, minimum $75. To become an active member, you need either three paid sales of prose fiction (such as short stories) to qualifying professional Markets, with each paid at the rate of 5c/word or higher, for a cumulative total of $250, minimum $50 apiece, or one paid sale of a prose fiction book to a qualifying professional market, for which the author has been paid $2000 or more, or one professionally produced full length dramatic script, with credits acceptable to the membership committee.

Many good and professionally edited publications out there don't pay at the "professional rates", so don't qualify as "professional markets". There are only about fifteen publications on the current list of qualifying publications. That's not a large market, and it's very easy to be turned down by every single one.

So, just because I write "sci-fi/fantasy" poetry, and have been published in smaller markets (mind you, some are just as competitive as the "professional" markets - they just don't pay as much), does that mean I'm not a real science fiction /fantasy author? (Tolkien wrote many of the Elder tales in verse, until he abandoned that idea and continued his stories in prose.)

Think about it!

Cheers!
"I'm going to do what the warriors of old did. I'm going to recite poetry!" Andrew of Armar.
RHFay
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby aldan » Tue May 29, 2007 11:08 am

I suppose that you could say that you're a sci-fi/fantasy poet. I look at the term 'author' as meaning a person who has either gotten a large piece of work published by a seperate publisher, or has published it him/herself and has had reasonable number of copies purchased. I put that sales caveat there because some might print up a piece of work on their computer and thus say that they are an author... since they 'published' a piece of work.
"It is better to keep your mouth shut and to appear stupid than
to open it and remove all doubt."
---Mark Twain
aldan
Artisan Wordsmith
Artisan Wordsmith

author or poet?

Postby RHFay » Tue May 29, 2007 12:04 pm

Hi Aldan! :)

Oh, I consider myself an author as well as a poet, just not a published author (yet). Remember, I did write a fantasy novel; I just couldn't find an agent willing to represent me. I also intend to begin writing short prose to submit to various publications, now that I have some poetry accepted and published.

Even material posted on a personal web site that is available to the general public is considered to be published - and will be looked at as such by many editors and publishers (and will only be accepted as a reprint if submitted to them). It's just not "professionally" published. The difference lies mostly with the presence or lack of an editorial process (and a remittance).

I'm hoping my published poetry will help lead to published short prose, which I hope will lead to a chance at novels. After I work on short prose for a while, I plan on tackling novels again. (Oh, I've also entered a story in a sci-fi writing contest, still awaiting the results. Would you say I'm not an author if I don't win, but am one if I do? :shock: :( :wink: :) I think I'm an author either way - since I wrote the piece regardless of whether or not I win. It's just the difference between "published" and "professional" versus "unpublished" and "unknown".)

Of course, in terms of publications, I'm a "sci-fi/fantasy/horror poet". I'm hoping to be a published author as well!

(If none of this is true, I had better change my web site, and my short biography that I send to editors! :shock: )

Cheers!
RHFay
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby clknaps » Wed May 30, 2007 1:35 am

Thank you RH, this was really helpful. Please give us the detailed information of your published sci/fi work when it comes out.

thanks,
CLK
She sells seashells by the seashore.
Rubber baby buggy bumpers.
I shot the city sheriff.
clknaps
Site Regular
Site Regular

Postby Grand Evander » Wed May 30, 2007 3:52 pm

I usually read the guidelines of writing contests very carefully. There are some that say that the contest winner forfeits his/her rights to the winning entry and that this clause is implicitly agreed upon by entering the contest.
Grand Evander
True Visionary
True Visionary

Postby RHFay » Wed May 30, 2007 4:01 pm

Grand Evander wrote:I usually read the guidelines of writing contests very carefully. There are some that say that the contest winner forfeits his/her rights to the winning entry and that this clause is implicitly agreed upon by entering the contest.

True! However, this one particular short story contest I entered involved an existing, fairly well-known sci-fi character. I wouldn't be able to use the story elsewhere (without some extensive reworking) anyway!

It is a good point, though; know the rules before you enter. Be willing to send something soemwhat "disposable" to places that want to keep the rights.

Also, be careful about places that don't offer some sort of standard publication deal. (The contest I entered did have a fairly standard publication deal as a part of the winner's prize). Be wary about giving up your rights to your work.

Cheers!
RHFay
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Llew » Wed May 30, 2007 7:00 pm

Ariel wrote:RH and Shadow are in New York. I am in Rhode Island. Llew is in Maine. Isn't B'mat from New England too? Some day we'll have to meet up somewhere. :D

Anyway, much luck to you RH in your writing endeavors. Continue to share your thoughts and ideas with everyone.

That would rock! :D
“I Speak Spanish to God, Italian to Women, French to Men, and German to My Horse” - Charles V, King of Spain and Holy Roman Emperor, 1500–58
Llew
True Visionary
True Visionary

Postby aldan » Thu May 31, 2007 9:49 am

I believe she's from MD, if I'm not mistaken. No, wait... I'm me, so I can't be mistaken. Nevermind.... :roll:
"It is better to keep your mouth shut and to appear stupid than
to open it and remove all doubt."
---Mark Twain
aldan
Artisan Wordsmith
Artisan Wordsmith

Previous

Return to General Writing Discussion