speculative visionscience fiction and fantasy

Something I never really done.

The place to talk about the craft of writing.

Moderators: Bmat, Qray

Bookmark and Share

Something I never really done.

Postby Talon Sinnah » Fri Sep 28, 2007 10:02 am

For the first time since I hav started writng I have begun to create an outline of my story. The reasoning is I hope it will add to the possibility of being published soon. I am creating an outline of a pre-existing story and noting the possible changes I might need to make.

Now the reason for this nthread.

Considering this is my first outline and I have been against them for the m ost part does anyone have any pointers or experiences they can share. :cry: PLEASE! :cry:
I am the poet of the body and I am the poet of the Soul. The pleasures of heaven are with me and the pains of hell are with me. The first I graft and increase upon myself, the latter I translate into a new tongue.

-Walt Whitman-
Talon Sinnah
Artisan Wordsmith
Artisan Wordsmith

Blog: View Blog (9)

Postby berry » Thu Oct 04, 2007 12:43 pm

Hi Talon,
I didn't manage to write a story that made sense from start to finish until I started writing outlines first.
What I found was even if I changed it or added to it, the outline kept the story from wandering and so creating large plot holes or rambling.
Previously I would just write and see where it took me, I kept running out of steam and found that I created too many threads that I couldn't follow through.
I've only just started doing it myself so I don't have any pointers yet but that was my experience.
Outside of a dog, a book is mans best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.
Groucho Marx
berry
Casual Poster
Casual Poster

Postby RHFay » Fri Oct 05, 2007 8:44 am

An outline can be a helpful tool to figure out the genral flow of a story, but I don't think you need to make a formal outline to have an idea about where the story is going to go. In other words, you may not necessarily need to do the Roman numerals, capital letters, numbers, etc., to have a useful outline.

I tend to just jot down a rough list of events, in chronological order. That seems to work for me. I often do this with short stories, and I did this for each chapter of my poor, homeless novel.

Here's an example:

-Sir Dumfounded rides with his squire to the dark cave to rescue the kidnapped princess
-Sir Dumfounded sees numerous skeletal remains at the cave's mouth
-the squire runs away
-Sir Dumfounded draws his sword to enter cave
-a white rabbit appears
-Sir Dumbfounded laughs
-the white rabbit tears out Sir Dumfounded's throat
-the rabbit begins to devour Sir Dumfounded's flesh
-the rabbit chokes on Sir Dumfounded's spur
-Sir Dumfounded's squire comes back and frees the kidnapped princess
-the squire and the princess wed, and live happily ever after

THE END
"I'm going to do what the warriors of old did. I'm going to recite poetry!" Andrew of Armar.
RHFay
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Talon Sinnah » Mon Oct 15, 2007 6:06 am

Sounds to me like he should be called Sir Dumbass.

Rh Fay's was the thing that most resembles what I was doing. But mine went along the lines of asking and answering questions to myself.
I am the poet of the body and I am the poet of the Soul. The pleasures of heaven are with me and the pains of hell are with me. The first I graft and increase upon myself, the latter I translate into a new tongue.

-Walt Whitman-
Talon Sinnah
Artisan Wordsmith
Artisan Wordsmith

Blog: View Blog (9)

Postby spknoevl » Mon Oct 22, 2007 6:45 am

I think a story outline is a must, if you're trying to write a cohesive story. I don't think it's possible to "wing it" with a 300+ story without one. You need to have your basic plot and characters in place so that you can have a proper ebb and flow to the story. That doesn't mean you have to plan every detail, just have an idea of the major scenes and where they fall. You can fill in some of the smaller details as you go along.
spknoevl
Casual Poster
Casual Poster

Re: Something I never really done.

Postby ML Hamilton » Sun Jan 23, 2011 9:34 am

I always outline the start and the end at first. I have to know that before I can do anything else. Then as I'm writing the chapters in between, I do like Rh Fay and I jot notes for the whole chapter before I actually write. That doesn't mean that things don't change as I'm filling in the details, and in fact, I may throw out whole pieces of my outline or alter it as a better solution presents itself, but I find that an outline keeps me from wandering and reminds me of where I need to go. The more you play with it, the more you'll find your own style for outlining, just as you did for writing.
ML Hamilton
Just Registered
Just Registered

Return to General Writing Discussion