speculative visionscience fiction and fantasy

My epic shall be a novel.

The place to talk about the craft of writing.

Moderators: Bmat, Qray

Bookmark and Share

My epic shall be a novel.

Postby Forever Zero » Sun Nov 25, 2007 1:23 pm

Yeah I guess none of you will be really "suprised" at me making that statement, but if any of you remember me you would know I've been spending a long time trying to find out which direction to take this story in. I wanted it to be an RPG for the longest time, but now I think I've settled on a novel. I'll self-publish it, as I'm not looking to make money, and I found a very promising company that seems to let you use pretty much any resource to make your book complete, such as concept art and cover art -- Which is important to me because I am also an artist and would like to show the world my visions of my characters.

Anyway, so since I haven't been here in a long time, I'll give you all a briefing on what exactly this epic is. As of October the thing is four years old, and I have no hesitation in saying that it is my life's work, at least until I finish it and create something bigger. It is an epic that spans six Episodes and 10,000 years, and it is without a doubt the biggest story I have ever created.

Since this thing is so important to me, however, I'm going to take baby steps with it. For now I'll be organizing an outline, an extremely comprehensive one, and once that's finished and edited by my trusting editor friends, I'll begin work on the written story.

Sadly I won't be able to tell any of you what it's about, because until its finished, I don't want to make any of it public. But years from now, I literally mean years, once this massive project is finished, I encourage you all to pick up a copy and give it a read. If I stay with my current publishing company it will be available to special order through Amazon.com and Barnes & Noble. But that's not a definite fact right now, I'm going to take baby steps and make sure this thing is up to my standards. I probably won't even look into publishers seriously until I have everything complete.

Anyway I'll keep you all updated. If things go well I hope to publish all six Episodes, but if not I have the story set up in a way that each Episode can stand alone.
So it shall be written, and so it shall be done.
Forever Zero
New User
New User

Postby RHFay » Sun Nov 25, 2007 3:34 pm

Well, good luck with that project. It sounds ambitious, but at least you seem to have a plan. If you do self-publish, expect to do your own self-promoting. In other words, the more work you do at promoting the work, the more copies will be sold. Even if you're not in it for the money, you probably still want to get as many readers as you can.

If you have the time and money resources to make this a reality, then go for it!
"I'm going to do what the warriors of old did. I'm going to recite poetry!" Andrew of Armar.
RHFay
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Neurolanis » Tue Nov 27, 2007 3:40 am

Great to see you, FZ, it's been a while!

Good luck! :)
Neurolanis
Resident Author
Resident Author

Postby Forever Zero » Wed Nov 28, 2007 1:50 pm

Well, got the outline started, and I'm already finding lots of things I'm thinking about altering, so I put those things in blue text.

For now though I'm just going to get what I know down in an outline, and then review it and make changes where I need to or want to.
Forever Zero
New User
New User

Postby Ariel » Thu Nov 29, 2007 12:39 pm

Good luck hun. I wish you success in your writing endevours. :)
Ariel
Resident Author
Resident Author

Blog: View Blog (3)

Postby Qray » Thu Nov 29, 2007 2:43 pm

It's good to see you around, FZ.

Is this work of yours going to be in the Fantasy genre?

If you don't mind me asking, why have you decided to self-publish?
I'm going to die the way I've lived...poor, screaming, and naked.
Qray

Blog: View Blog (49)

Postby Forever Zero » Fri Nov 30, 2007 1:22 am

Qray wrote:It's good to see you around, FZ.

Is this work of yours going to be in the Fantasy genre?

If you don't mind me asking, why have you decided to self-publish?

Fantasy genre, yes. But with a lot of futuristic elements.

As for self-publishing, I think its the current company I found that really drew me in. For one, I will have near total control of the publishing process; I can use artwork and images of my own to not only place in the book, but submit to their artists for the cover art. Since I'm an artist myself, I may just design my own cover, which they also let you do. On top of that, their editors seem a lot more lenient than traditional editors, because traditional ones will generally be biased toward what they know will sell. And frankly I can't stand the thought of someone butchering my epic as severely as some stories I've heard. An editor is nice, and I will have several people doing so with my work, but I will go to hell before I let someone tell me what should or should not be in my story.

Also, when my book is "published" a copy won't actually get made until someone buys it, so I won't lose money on books that don't sell. The novel will not be distributed in stores, instead you'll have to special order it. Makes for a lesser chance of getting noticed, of course, but I'm not in it for fame, or money. Self-publishing is definitely the way to go for me.
Forever Zero
New User
New User

Postby Qray » Fri Nov 30, 2007 2:31 am

I'm not all that familiar with self-publishing. You're self-publishing and have an editor? Is ithat an editor you pay for editing advice like a freelance editor?
I'm going to die the way I've lived...poor, screaming, and naked.
Qray

Blog: View Blog (49)

Postby Forever Zero » Fri Nov 30, 2007 1:15 pm

Well, the term "self publishing", expecially with the company I am looking at, will really throw you off. I'm not actually doing much aside from writing the book, I just pay them a fee for a package and the book starts going through the process. Their editors are more grammatical than content editors, so if you want something published, you can get it published, even if it only sells 3 copies in its entire lifetime.

Either way, I'd rather go through this process than deal with hundreds of rejection letters; my book has many, many religious references and when you analyze it deeply, its quite controversial.
Forever Zero
New User
New User

Postby Magus » Fri Nov 30, 2007 1:50 pm

its quite controversial.

Because, you know, controversial never sells.

:roll:

Besides how can you simply state that it's controversial in of itself? It's not yet written, not yet published, and not yet had the opportunity to cause deep rifts in public opinion by offending half of the population and enchanting the rest.

You have to wait for the public's response to it before you can label it as controversial.
Magus
Writer Extraordinaire
Writer Extraordinaire

Postby Forever Zero » Fri Nov 30, 2007 1:55 pm

Magus wrote:
its quite controversial.

Because, you know, controversial never sells.

:roll:

Besides how can you simply state that it's controversial in of itself? It's not yet written, not yet published, and not yet had the opportunity to cause deep rifts in public opinion by offending half of the population and enchanting the rest.

You have to wait for the public's response to it before you can label it as controversial.

It's only what I'm assuming. When your story has Christian references as heavily as mine, people tend to go up in arms about it. Its just how Christianity is.

'Course, I'm not saying I care whether people don't like it or not, but it would get on my nerves if a standard publisher rejected it because it portrays too many negative religous messages.
Forever Zero
New User
New User

Postby Neurolanis » Sat Jan 05, 2008 10:08 am

I've read that fantasy writers who aren't Christian sometimes get extremist Christian groups threatening them due to their non-Christian mythical material. I always saw it that anything pro-Christian goes well but anything different can fall under attack. From what I've read.
Neurolanis
Resident Author
Resident Author

Next

Return to General Writing Discussion