speculative visionscience fiction and fantasy

I figured something out

The place to talk about the craft of writing.

Moderators: Bmat, Qray

Bookmark and Share

I figured something out

Postby Talon Sinnah » Sun Jan 11, 2009 7:22 pm

While I was sitting a church this morning(of all places) I figured something out that I once did but I do not anymore.

I started writing in high school and I usually did not listen to the teacher I just wrote. (some how I passed with A's and B's) I was so engrossed in my writing sometimes I was surprised when the bell rang. I enjoy wrotomg and wish I had not gotten out of it as much as i have but hey we all have said it reality sucks. Well before I bore all of you to death this is what I figured out writing needs to be a everyday habit or you will find yourself like me, I have a crap load of ideas and a ton of unfinished stories and I regret it to the fulliest extent. Ran and I have had tons of conversations about this in real life and I often complain about it on this forum which has been a Godsend to me. Between work and sleep (damn second shift) I have not really had time since I got out of school to write yet I complain about the very thing I enjoy doing.
I am the poet of the body and I am the poet of the Soul. The pleasures of heaven are with me and the pains of hell are with me. The first I graft and increase upon myself, the latter I translate into a new tongue.

-Walt Whitman-
Talon Sinnah
Artisan Wordsmith
Artisan Wordsmith

Blog: View Blog (9)

Re: I figured something out

Postby AlbaRosa » Thu Jun 18, 2009 9:21 pm

Aww, iz otay Count Dorkula because woman still wuvs u DIS MUCH____________________________
[font=Century Gothic]To my one true love, the greatest thing ever to come into my life & my reason for being, Dance Dance Revolution.[/font]
AlbaRosa
Casual Poster
Casual Poster

Postby samaulle_esun » Fri Jun 19, 2009 1:08 am

When I went to grace christian school, it's a small school, I used to write all day in class too haha. Definetly writing is an every day kind of thing. Good thing I get to do it every day now, though I find I hardly ever get anything done unless I'm drinking coffee XD
Your friendly resident schizophrenic
samaulle_esun
Casual Poster
Casual Poster

Postby Bmat » Fri Jun 19, 2009 5:48 am

I never wrote all that much. The teachers didn't like what I did write, for composition class, for example, and I didn't get any encouragement, so it didn't occur to me to write other than class assignments. I did make up stories, however, but only in my mind.
Bmat
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Blog: View Blog (10)

Postby Grand Evander » Sun Jun 21, 2009 7:39 pm

I've heard writing compared to a muscle. The more you flex it, the better you get at it. I've noticed that, if I take a break from writing for more than a few days, I feel really rusty and lack confidence when I try editing. I write almost everyday but do take breaks because I find you can overheat as well and the writing stales.
Grand Evander
True Visionary
True Visionary

Postby Talon Sinnah » Sun Jul 12, 2009 1:43 pm

Yeah over heating sucks and usually slams me right into writers block.
I am the poet of the body and I am the poet of the Soul. The pleasures of heaven are with me and the pains of hell are with me. The first I graft and increase upon myself, the latter I translate into a new tongue.

-Walt Whitman-
Talon Sinnah
Artisan Wordsmith
Artisan Wordsmith

Postby samaulle_esun » Sun Jul 12, 2009 5:55 pm

Yeah, i wrote 6 thousand words a few days ago and I've had writers block ever since.

A suggestion, If you want more time to write claim you're the antichrist like I did and they'll give you the disability pension :D I just write most of the time now. It's really fun--funner than reading even.
Your friendly resident schizophrenic
samaulle_esun
Casual Poster
Casual Poster

Postby Talon Sinnah » Tue Jul 14, 2009 9:09 am

I could see where that would work. *marks it down in notebook*

-Walt Whitman-
Talon Sinnah
Artisan Wordsmith
Artisan Wordsmith

Postby Starfire » Thu Jan 07, 2010 4:42 pm

I first heard this from Steven King's audio book on writing advice. JK Rowling wrote Harry Potter while she was on welfare. That's how she found the time to write every day. I am right now between jobs. Guess I should stop making excuses and get to work.

When I was in school it was the only thing I ever excelled at. On time my english teacher gave me the only 10 essay in my whole class. Miss my old english teacher.
Starfire
Site Regular
Site Regular

Blog: View Blog (2)

Postby spknoevl » Wed Jan 13, 2010 8:45 am

Strangely enough, I do most of my writing while at work since I find there are too many distractions at home. I've read that John Grisham and Terry Brooks used to come in to work early to write before they were successful authors. Hopefully none of my co-workers post here.
spknoevl
Casual Poster
Casual Poster

Postby Starfire » Thu Jan 14, 2010 12:05 pm

Once I wrote a whole metaphysical history if an elf race at work. Your right, it is some how easier when you are away from home.
Starfire
Site Regular
Site Regular

Blog: View Blog (2)

Postby Talon Sinnah » Sun Jan 24, 2010 7:55 pm

Good idea i suppose but I believe the factory I work in does not allow you to write anything unless it pertains to the job and pictures are a no no to.

-Walt Whitman-
Talon Sinnah
Artisan Wordsmith
Artisan Wordsmith

Return to General Writing Discussion