speculative visionscience fiction and fantasy

Diminsional Probability

The place to talk about the craft of writing.

Moderators: Bmat, Qray

Bookmark and Share

Diminsional Probability

Postby Talon Sinnah » Fri Feb 06, 2009 9:40 am

Yeah my problem is I am trying to figure out how Earth would be split into deminsions and the main problem is How would the "mother deminsion", Earth, split. And how different would the races be. I know I am going too use a natural real historic event or something that could possibly happen and it will happen most likely before civilization got up off its ass. Any suggestions and advice would be useful.
I am the poet of the body and I am the poet of the Soul. The pleasures of heaven are with me and the pains of hell are with me. The first I graft and increase upon myself, the latter I translate into a new tongue.

-Walt Whitman-
Talon Sinnah
Artisan Wordsmith
Artisan Wordsmith

Blog: View Blog (9)

Re: Diminsional Probability

Postby Ariel » Sun Mar 15, 2009 12:39 am

Hmmmm how about something with changes in the earth due to...hmmm...vibrational levels or something which opens portals to other dimension. The characters could be everything from shadow people to fairies, energy beings, some beings similar to humans, some with animal-like characteristics. There are many possibilities. Throw in some evil type beings that train their young from birth to be hard and without compassion to anyone but their own groups, some who have no tolerance at all for conflict. I dunno.
Ariel
Resident Author
Resident Author

Blog: View Blog (3)

Postby nightlock » Sun Mar 15, 2009 3:31 am

You say you want to take a real event that happened some time before civ got up off it's ass, correct?

The first thing the leaps into my head is some world catastrophe (volcano, meteorite, climate shift whatever).
The second thing that leaps into my head is the fact that mammals and humans in particular had a lot of good luck.
What if, the meteor that wiped out the dino's was a just a bit bigger and caused the death of our ancestors too?
What if the climate shift that forced our ancestors onto the plains happened a thousand years earlier or later?
Would an entire different species grow to sentience instead of our ancestors?

Tiny adjustments between two dimension that result in hugely different worlds.

Read New Awakenings

"This is here." :smt104
nightlock
Site Regular
Site Regular

Blog: View Blog (3)

Postby Talon Sinnah » Wed Mar 18, 2009 12:16 pm

Finally some feed back.

I never thought of the whole vibration thing it is actually an interesting idea.

The things I have been thinking about most is that the ice age caused a bit too much stress so to save itself and its beings the Earth split into different dimensions. The only problem with that it makes Earth out to be a sentient being itself which could add a touch of fantasy to a sci fi story. Another is a series of cataclysmic events just puts too much stress on one deminsion so it splits. I also thought of the climate shift as well but it does not creat dimensions only opens gates too them. Another less popular one with me is that some idiot decided to dabble in the dark arts before the middle ages and tore a rift in the fabric of the deminsions causing gateways and the dark ages.

I am sorry Nightlok but I feel the meteor thing is just too overdone and a cheap way out. No offense man.
I am the poet of the body and I am the poet of the Soul. The pleasures of heaven are with me and the pains of hell are with me. The first I graft and increase upon myself, the latter I translate into a new tongue.

-Walt Whitman-
Talon Sinnah
Artisan Wordsmith
Artisan Wordsmith

Postby The Master » Wed Mar 18, 2009 1:54 pm

Talon Sinnah wrote:Another less popular one with me is that some idiot decided to dabble in the dark arts...

That would definitely move it into Fantasy, but its a good idea. You have a world changing event, an immediate consequence, and the longer term repercussions. You also open up the possibility that initially people knew this had occurred but the knowledge was lost during the Dark Ages.

I dislike the idea of a pseudo-sentient Earth being able to save itself with a shift because it has shades of the dreadful movie "The Happening". That's one film that should never be emulated in any form!

I don't know if anything geologic would be convincing enough. I think you can get away with huge climate changes via those methods because the atmosphere is more delicate. Therefore, I would go bigger and consider what space based event could be the turning point. A cosmic string passes too close to earth causing a rift in spacetime. Or there used to be another star closer to ours that went nova. Our ice age could have been caused by the shifting, and perhaps the other earth did not have an ice age at all leading to a very different evolution path. You can also have ours be the shifted earth and the space near mother earth is quite different which is what caused our version to be pushed out of phase. Its technobabble SF, but its not magic based if you want to avoid Fantasy.
The Master
Site Admin
Site Admin

Blog: View Blog (2)
Art: View My Art Gallery

Postby Dexter » Wed Mar 18, 2009 3:53 pm

so sorry - but i am physist.
The all dimensions is like one hole.(literally)
We cant split hole, cant we?

but again as Fantasy lover, i think , that even splitting dimension would create a new races.
Dexter
Just Registered
Just Registered

Postby Talon Sinnah » Tue Mar 24, 2009 12:06 pm

See the race thing I figured out they would be new some would be human based but not human. The enviroment would be different sometimes to the extreme as well as the technologies.

Master I like the star going Nova I will have to put that in my note section.

-Walt Whitman-
Talon Sinnah
Artisan Wordsmith
Artisan Wordsmith

Postby Spiderkeg » Fri Jan 08, 2010 2:33 pm

Hmm... I'm guessing that is apart of our real world Earth? Vibrations are good, and rips in time and space are good choices. I'd go with a cataclysmic event. If a split were to take place, a great amount of force would probably need applying. If you want to start from the beginning, the asteroid that hit the Earth destroying the dinosaurs is a good example. If you want an event that is a little closer to now, how about the bomb that fell on Japan? That would certainly have enough force. There's also the first atomic testing in Nevada, prior to the dropping in Japan.
Spiderkeg
Site Regular
Site Regular

Postby Starfire » Sun Jan 10, 2010 7:59 pm

I have read some really good books and existing in several dimentions at once. New age book stores are full of them. Many have to do with reincarnation. Try reading "Sacred contracts" by Caroline Myss. This is also touched in in Dick Stubens audio book "Mind Travel" I am not sure I am down with existing in more than one reality at once. Then again the whole theory of relativity is sort of like that.

Doreen Virture claims that angels and fairies can incarnate as humans. (Her words not mine) Maybe something can be motivated to incarnate as a new kind of human. Demons?
Starfire
Site Regular
Site Regular

Blog: View Blog (2)

Postby Talon Sinnah » Sun Jan 24, 2010 8:00 pm

Do not take this the wrong way but I do not think that really fits with this idea but it does give me new ideas for stories.

How about in nature is there anything that could maybe cause an atomic blast or do I need to make up something. What was that volcanic eruption in greece that destroyed the Minoa or Crete civilization? Or any other huge eruptions.

-Walt Whitman-
Talon Sinnah
Artisan Wordsmith
Artisan Wordsmith

Postby Spiderkeg » Mon Jan 25, 2010 11:07 am

Talon Sinnah wrote:Do not take this the wrong way but I do not think that really fits with this idea but it does give me new ideas for stories.

How about in nature is there anything that could maybe cause an atomic blast or do I need to make up something. What was that volcanic eruption in greece that destroyed the Minoa or Crete civilization? Or any other huge eruptions.

Natural occurrences of explosions through volcanism can happen, but don't discount other worldly possibilities, such as a meteorite hitting the planet.

It's possible that, over time, two opposing chemicals could come in contact with one another and cause an explosion, but that wouldn't be on the scale that you are thinking.

It IS possible that a mountain riddled with with a compound could be ignited through some natural means, say a lightning storm or forest fire. Coal is a natural rock, but more of a deflagrate, so I'd go with a pocket of natural gas. Heh, in fact, you could claim that a vein of coal exposed to a forest fire, acting like a fuse, intersected with a large pocket of natural gas deep within a mountain.
Spiderkeg
Site Regular
Site Regular

Postby spknoevl » Mon Jan 25, 2010 2:20 pm

Since many physicists these days have postulated that there are in fact 9 dimensions or planes of reality all sitting on one another, some sort of rift between dimensions would probably work. You could perhaps have some kind of natural event cause the rift at any time in earth's history that worked for you - then the evolution of those sucked into the alternative universe would be open to whatever interpretation you want to use.
Another option would be to have rift caused by a man-made event or experiment like an atom-collider that causes a black hole. You could then have the rift either close itself, leaving your characters in an alternative universe or even have characters that could travel between dimensions.
spknoevl
Casual Poster
Casual Poster

Next

Return to General Writing Discussion