speculative visionscience fiction and fantasy

Chemicals that provide an immediate strength boost.

The place to talk about the craft of writing.

Moderators: Bmat, Qray

Bookmark and Share

Chemicals that provide an immediate strength boost.

Postby M.Blaekr » Fri Feb 05, 2010 10:21 am

Greetings,
After a long adventure or two with two characters of mine, not even of the same race so there would be a few complications, they decide that they really like each other.

No, I am not talking about 'that' kind of strength boost.

The main character has a condition, where if the female character even looks into his eyes for too long, she feels an immense amount of pain. His idea is to have another character who is gifted with the polar opposite of his power to "zap" him and get rid of it temporarily, however this is a problem in that of itself, as his body has learned to depend on his power, so his muscles have degraded and weakened.

I could easily use my world's "magic" to give him the strength, however I'd like to be a little more creative than that. I was wondering if there were any chemicals (in our real world) that would allow my main character to have the strength to stand and give her a kiss before he has to put his mask back on when his power returns.

I mean, come on, the guy is practically a martyr! O_o

I was thinking steroids or an adrenaline shot, but I was hoping to avoid those two as they affect personality (i.e. steroids make someone more aggressive and adrenaline make people "ready for action").

Thanks.
M.Blaekr
Just Registered
Just Registered

Re: Chemicals that provide an immediate strength boost.

Postby Bmat » Fri Feb 05, 2010 4:04 pm

You want him to be able to stand and give her a kiss, and I'd think that adrenaline would do just this. However let's think of something more unusual or creative. How about Chlorophyll, all he has to do is much down a salad or some greenery. or... something more rare such as gold dust. or garlic. or some kind of seaweed dried and ground up. Or a mysterious substance concocted by a little old lady in a remote hut.
Bmat
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Blog: View Blog (10)

Postby M.Blaekr » Fri Feb 05, 2010 7:56 pm

Creative I like and try to do, unusual is not really my style, but thanks for considering it. Given the connotations I hope you don't think that by eating a salad a person with critically low muscle mass - meaning his heart has troubles pumping and he has a hard time breathing, aside from supporting his own body - he could just pop up. :|

The herbs sound a little more appealing, maybe used in conjunction with the chemicals for an extra, perhaps prolonged boost... however what does garlic do to promote muscle use? :?

I like your hag in a hut crack :P but it's not that kind of world... I mean I'm sure they exist on the planet but it'd be more for mundane reasons... like exile or that they prefer the hermit's life. Thanks for replying.

Still looking for more input/suggestions.
M.Blaekr
Just Registered
Just Registered

Postby Bmat » Fri Feb 05, 2010 9:46 pm

Well, I was thinking more along the lines that he does have unusual powers- at least one- the eye thing, so perhaps substances behave differently in his body than for other people. Such as the salad/ chlorophyll, - plants, which have chlorophyll, can be all limp, yet you water them and they pop right back up, so why couldn't it be that a person upon ingesting chlorophyll would have the water in his body somehow generate strength and he might pop up, too.

Garlic I considered mainly since I think that whatever he ingests should have a price, for garlic it could be that the price is that the lady isn't enthusiastic about the kiss. Garlic has healing properties, so it isn't outlandish to think that it could provide healing of a different sort for this person who already has an unusual feature.

I suggested gold dust, because I thought that perhaps the substance that helps him should be difficult to obtain- again the price thing.

The little old lady medicine actually came to me because I watched a TV show years back about priests in an eastern country that studied the ill person and concocted from herbs and spices, barks, and so forth, these large pills that people would take - and would be cured, as long as they followed the lifestyle advice.
Bmat
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Blog: View Blog (10)

Postby spknoevl » Tue Feb 09, 2010 11:12 am

Maybe you could just invent a plant or chemical to give your character the boost he needs; you're not really limited to the real world.
spknoevl
Casual Poster
Casual Poster

Postby M.Blaekr » Thu Feb 11, 2010 5:18 pm

Limited, no, but the humans of this world brought much from Earth, so what can be used should be. Thanks.
M.Blaekr
Just Registered
Just Registered

Postby Spiderkeg » Mon Feb 15, 2010 10:14 am

Hmm, so let me see if I got all the relevant information.

This character has a power that gives him great strength, while allowing him to function normally, as in turn this power has also caused his muscles to atrophy... correct? Part of this "power" results in him giving pain to anyone who stares into his eyes for a given length... correct?

So you want this character to, essentially, be intimate with another character but you need a temporary solution to the whole painful stare deal... correct?

Without knowing additional facts, I'll be assuming that the "painful stare" is an involuntary effect of this power, defense mechanism, whatever. In most cases, I would further assume that this character would need to have some control over his mental faculties (i.e. awareness, concentration, intent) whether subconscious or not.

In life, there are certain elements that can be introduced into the body that will, and do, temporarily affect the body to intoxicate or inebriate... whatever your poison of choice is. The eyes glaze over, the mind clouds, sensitivity is enhanced. I'm sure you've heard of such cases.

The point I'm trying to make here is, why does this character's power need to be temporarily suspended? Why can't a natural means be introduced to the character to temporarily "handicap" in order to achieve intimate relations?
Spiderkeg
Site Regular
Site Regular

Postby M.Blaekr » Mon Feb 15, 2010 3:20 pm

Ah. Therein lies the problem. The power is not connected to his body. Instead, think that it overlaps it. It is bound to his will, however. The pain stare only works on a certain race because they are bound to the power in a different way, but also in a much deeper way. So deep that they can't reach it. The pain does not occur merely because my character is looking, but because it is simply present.

Thanks for the suggestion, though, it gives some more thought to the general outline of the situation.

Also, think of the power like a hurricane locked inside a person's body. The way I have it works is that there is no way to handicap it, if it is there, it is there. The opposite power makes it go away, but it is not of a physical existence. It is from a different plane, one might say, which is why it always comes back.

I think I have what I need, and then some, from this thread.

Thanks, everyone.
M.Blaekr
Just Registered
Just Registered

Return to General Writing Discussion