speculative visionscience fiction and fantasy

The relagation (?) of Science Fiction

The place to talk about the craft of writing.

Moderators: Bmat, Qray

Bookmark and Share

The relagation (?) of Science Fiction

Postby TheBlueBrewer » Fri Apr 09, 2010 11:57 am

After reading through the “Is fantasy easier to write than sci-fi” topic, I decided to open a couple of topics for discussion (based on a couple of tangents).

1) Do you think that the decline of SF as a literary medium is due to the availability of SF video games that are saturating the market? In the past most imaginative teens turned to a certain genre to fill their needs – this was generally fulfilled by a book, magazine, comic, or TV show / movie (to a lesser extent). It seems that now days that teenage males are interested in the more violent, SF based games.

2) We have all noticed the trend of the “Urban Fantasy” (i.e. Harry Potter), but have you noticed how many bada$$ female karate/magic/hunter books there are out there? I believe that these novels are the ones that are replacing SF. I like the idea of dark urban fantasy (kind of a progression of cyber punk); in fact I base a lot of my writing on that concept. But, whereas I take a subtle approach (avoiding a lot of the inherent over-the-top inconsistencies) lot of authors choose to be very overt. What are your thoughts?
TheBlueBrewer
Just Registered
Just Registered

Re: The relagation (?) of Science Fiction

Postby Bmat » Fri Apr 09, 2010 2:09 pm

I have no opinion on the second point, so I'll consider the first. I hadn't thought of it, but it could be that SF video games are using imagination that might formerly have been used on books or comics. The games are interactive, they may involve other real players. It is easier to imagine you are the superhero if you are actually making the image fire the weapon or wield the sword and seeing the enemy topple. The ending, or the path to the ending, varies, unlike the book or comic where it is the same each time. Of course in a comic or book you are exposed to the imagination and ideas of another person, but then, so are you with a video game. If this conjecture is so, it does seem a shame, because reading the writing of another person broadens your own communication skills. I'd be interested in hearing other thoughts on this.
Bmat
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Blog: View Blog (10)

Postby Ariel » Fri Apr 09, 2010 7:18 pm

The youth of today have more choices than I did growing up. I didn't have a computer or interactive games like they do today. Still, I think I would have prefered a good old fashioned book to curl up with or to read outside beneath a tall tree. :wink:
Ariel
Resident Author
Resident Author

Blog: View Blog (3)

Postby Seeria » Fri Apr 09, 2010 8:09 pm

1) Do you think that the decline of SF as a literary medium is due to the availability of SF video games that are saturating the market? In the past most imaginative teens turned to a certain genre to fill their needs – this was generally fulfilled by a book, magazine, comic, or TV show / movie (to a lesser extent). It seems that now days that teenage males are interested in the more violent, SF based games.

I didn't know there was a decline in SF, but there sure seems to be an addition to the bookshelves. Mostly in the form of romance books masked as SF-fantasy-paranormal. Perhaps because there are less males reading due to the increase in console and MMO type games? Reading a book takes time and involvement of the brain. Playing a game takes time (usually) and in the case of SF-fantasy games it gives quick stimulation through action, very little brain required.

2) We have all noticed the trend of the “Urban Fantasy” (i.e. Harry Potter), but have you noticed how many bada$$ female karate/magic/hunter books there are out there? I believe that these novels are the ones that are replacing SF. I like the idea of dark urban fantasy (kind of a progression of cyber punk); in fact I base a lot of my writing on that concept. But, whereas I take a subtle approach (avoiding a lot of the inherent over-the-top inconsistencies) lot of authors choose to be very overt. What are your thoughts?

Isn't Harry Potter aimed at young adults? Are these "bada$$ female karate/magic/hunter books" you mention also that audience? If so, I can see the rise in those simply because young ladies are demanding less pampered princess books. Perhaps publishers are striving for new readers because young men are spending more time gaming and less reading? If anything is pushing out SF-fan books it would be those gawd-darn adult romance novels posing as SF-fantasy.
Seeria
Just Registered
Just Registered

Postby Ariel » Sat Apr 10, 2010 11:11 pm

Just wanted to say hello and welcome Seeria!! :D
Ariel
Resident Author
Resident Author

Blog: View Blog (3)

Return to General Writing Discussion