speculative visionscience fiction and fantasy

Where do I start? :S

The place to talk about the craft of writing.

Moderators: Bmat, Qray

Bookmark and Share

Re: Where do I start? :S

Postby JetMasta » Sat Oct 09, 2010 7:52 pm

Kool, thanks for the advice guys. XD
JetMasta
Just Registered
Just Registered

Postby Ariel » Mon Oct 11, 2010 8:47 pm

Actually I don't think music is a distraction. I think it can set a mood and enhance one's writing ability. It can be quite inspiring.
Just want to say Welcome JetMasta and good luck in your writing endevours! :D
Last edited by Ariel on Thu Oct 14, 2010 12:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ariel
Resident Author
Resident Author

Blog: View Blog (3)

Postby Alex F » Wed Oct 13, 2010 4:51 am

Yes indeed, welcome Jetmasta!

I must mirror everyone else in this. Don't think it, sit down and do it! If you've got a particular bit you're thinking about at a particular moment, write about that, forget everything else just get it down on paper, you'll find it will automatically sort itself out. Many people write stories from different viewpoints, quite frankly you could have 100 different viewpoints and my advice to you would be the same. A story is not one flowing piece in its conception its a jigsaw puzzle put together haphazardly and at the authors whim, just go with it and enjoy it because that's what its about; the beauty and joy you get from watching something come together and make sense over time, its what keeps me writing
"Just a minute... QUIET OUT THERE!!!... Blasted goldfish..." -ITMA's Colonel Chinstrap, guest staring on The Goon Show.
Alex F
New User
New User

Postby Thomas Forsdike » Sun Nov 28, 2010 12:20 am

Yah just dive in. Pick a character, a setting and a conflict and just write. doesn't matter if the scene ever makes it in the story. Developing the voice of the character is important too.

And most of the stuff you spit out the first time is going to be garbage, I know most of mine is. It's that's way for (almost) everyone. Just keep writing. You'll shine it all up on the rewrites.
Thomas Forsdike
Just Registered
Just Registered

Postby JetMasta » Wed Dec 01, 2010 9:28 am

Thanks guy's, this helped me alot. I am pleased to say that i have been writeing heaps and have the complete story line writen down, from detail to detail. All I need to do now is fill in the blanks, which will take a while XD
JetMasta
Just Registered
Just Registered

Postby Qray » Fri Dec 03, 2010 1:00 am

Greetings, JetMasta.

Also don't be afraid of rewrites. You may write something that when you put it down makes a lot of sense and seems to flow. However, in a couple of weeks, after you've fleshed out more of your story, you reread some of your earlier stuff and realize that it might not fit. Or that you want to go in a different direction. It's not a waste to rewrite paragraphs or even chapters. Just so long as you write.
I'm going to die the way I've lived...poor, screaming, and naked.
Qray

Blog: View Blog (49)

Previous

Return to General Writing Discussion