speculative visionscience fiction and fantasy

Inspiration

The place to talk about the craft of writing.

Moderators: Bmat, Qray

Bookmark and Share

Inspiration

Postby ML Hamilton » Tue Jan 25, 2011 6:28 pm

How do you come up with stories to write? Where do you get your inspiration?
ML Hamilton
Just Registered
Just Registered

Re: Inspiration

Postby Ariel » Thu Jan 27, 2011 8:30 pm

Music is helpful and inspiring. Being out in nature is also inspiring. These can easily set a mood and theme and get the creative juices flowing.
Ariel
Resident Author
Resident Author

Blog: View Blog (3)

Postby ML Hamilton » Fri Jan 28, 2011 11:22 pm

I agree. I have a "secret garden" I created so that I can go and write outside. Two years ago, we rented a house right on the edge of a river. I loved sitting on the deck and writing, while listening to the rush of water.

Do you have a special place where you write?
ML Hamilton
Just Registered
Just Registered

Postby Ariel » Thu Feb 03, 2011 9:46 am

Sounds wonderful! I only write as a hobby, but I get inspiration just sitting in the yard or a park. I would think that being anywhere out in nature would be ideal. :)
Ariel
Resident Author
Resident Author

Postby ML Hamilton » Thu Feb 03, 2011 7:08 pm

Really like writing at the beach, especially if it's raining. I don't know what it is, but it really inspires me.
ML Hamilton
Just Registered
Just Registered

Postby Alex F » Sun Feb 06, 2011 5:54 am

Yep, music it is... I'm the same and am so easily influenced by what I'm listening to. I tend to be a bit of a loner when it comes to writing, prefering to sit by myself away from other people. That said I have been writing more at work during quiet moments as of late in an office of about 40 people, humm... perhaps my writing tolerances are changing...
"Just a minute... QUIET OUT THERE!!!... Blasted goldfish..." -ITMA's Colonel Chinstrap, guest staring on The Goon Show.
Alex F
New User
New User

Postby ML Hamilton » Mon Feb 07, 2011 1:12 am

I have to completely immerse myself in whatever I'm writing, so I would never be able to do it with other people around. Any distraction pulls me out of the adventure. My sons can always tell when I've been writing. They'll ask me a question and it takes me a moment to answer them. They always say that I'm not fully there for that brief time before I pull myself back to the real world.
ML Hamilton
Just Registered
Just Registered

Postby Ariel » Mon Feb 07, 2011 10:11 am

Ah, by the ocean. Can it get any better than that? I have always been drawn to the ocean.
Ariel
Resident Author
Resident Author

Postby ML Hamilton » Thu Feb 10, 2011 10:32 pm

Ariel wrote:Ah, by the ocean. Can it get any better than that? I have always been drawn to the ocean.

Nope. I don't know what it is, but there's something moody and reflective about the ocean.
ML Hamilton
Just Registered
Just Registered

Postby Nightender » Fri Mar 25, 2011 3:01 am

My inspiration is in the form of my characters.

A solid example of this is a torturer/etiquette teacher I needed for two sequences in a story. I was just trying to make a reasonable character, a woman who could push the main character into some dark places. What I ended up with was fueled in part by a comment I read in a column once, saying family members should at least be listed for each character. From that, I realized another character who had no family and I made it where these two were married. After I figured that out, everything started to fall into place. By the time I was finished, the torturer/etiquette teacher was trying to become the main villain of the story.

I also listen to music. Depending on the music, I might come up with something different.

As I said, my inspiration comes from my characters.
Nightender
New User
New User

Postby nightlock » Fri Mar 25, 2011 3:38 am

Sleeplessness.

There's a sweet spot somewhere between being too tired to think and being to clear to let the mind wander. It's a hard spot to reach, but when I'm there, the inspiration just flows. I have a theory this is the actual origin of the tortured artist cliche. When you're sad, you'll sleep less or at least worse. You become tired. You come to the sweet spot. You create your master piece.

I can write anywhere, and any time. As long as I have music to shut myself off from the rest of the world.

Read New Awakenings

"This is here." :smt104
nightlock
Site Regular
Site Regular

Postby Xyster » Mon Mar 28, 2011 4:14 pm

I have a long standing belief that most of my inspiration comes from my dreams. My dreams are influenced by everything I see, experience, and wonder about as far as I can tell. They are extemely far fetched, gernerally come across in a fantasy/storyline style, and are often give me the seeds from which I create the characters and basis of my story. From there I let the world and the characters carry themselves, usually with only a general direction of where they will be headed.

I'm not sure if this is uncommon or normal, but usually I need quiet and alone time to work on my story. I am easily distracted.
Xyster
Resident Author
Resident Author

Next

Return to General Writing Discussion