speculative visionscience fiction and fantasy

When does the editing stop?

The place to talk about the craft of writing.

Moderators: Bmat, Qray

Bookmark and Share

When does the editing stop?

Postby berry » Thu Dec 22, 2011 2:10 pm

After a few attempts to properly finish a few stories I have on the go, I realised that I find it very difficult to know when a story is really finished. There always seems to be something else that I could do a little differently. How do you decide when to leave your story alone?
Outside of a dog, a book is mans best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.
Groucho Marx
berry
Casual Poster
Casual Poster

Re: When does the editing stop?

Postby The Master » Thu Dec 22, 2011 4:07 pm

I struggle with this a lot too. Whether its a simple letter or a longer story I have a hard time not fiddling with it over and over again. I think this is where another set of eyes is useful. If others read it and like it as it is your time is much better spent on new writing rather than reworking what you have already done.
The Master
Site Admin
Site Admin

Blog: View Blog (2)
Art: View My Art Gallery

Postby HMart » Mon Apr 16, 2012 12:29 pm

For me, the editing never really stops until I...well, until I submit it to a professional editor. I generally have at least one or two other people editing with me, after the first round of my personal edits. And, I edit every chapter as I construct the work. It's a bit tedious, and I know a number of people who disapprove of that much editing while writing, but that's how it works for me.

The new writing angle is a good one though, The Master. I've recently given this a try and it does seem to lighten my percieved load a bit.
HMart
Just Registered
Just Registered

Postby Bmat » Mon Apr 16, 2012 1:34 pm

I have to set the writing aside for a day or a week and come at it cold. It is too easy to be familiar with it and insert ideas that are not actually there but only in the mind.
Bmat
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Blog: View Blog (10)

Return to General Writing Discussion