speculative visionscience fiction and fantasy

Plotting and structure

The place to talk about the craft of writing.

Moderators: Bmat, Qray

Bookmark and Share

Plotting and structure

Postby berry » Tue Mar 05, 2013 3:05 pm

I finally have an idea that I think may work as a longer piece, a novella or maybe even a novel but i am having problems trying to work out a structure for the rough plot i have in my head.
Doea anyone have a method of plotting and/or structuring thier stories? and if so would you share them?
Outside of a dog, a book is mans best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.
Groucho Marx
berry
Casual Poster
Casual Poster

Re: Plotting and structure

Postby nightlock » Wed Mar 06, 2013 12:37 am

I try telling the story to myself in my head first and use that to play with narrative and as a basis to decide which parts of the story are important and which can be altered or left out. This can take me days, and only the do I sit behind the computer and either use a spreadsheet to plan out the entire structure, or use the snowflake method to allow for a more organic growth.

Read New Awakenings

"This is here." :smt104
nightlock
Site Regular
Site Regular

Blog: View Blog (3)

Postby Tiri3l » Sun Mar 10, 2013 4:48 am

Well, my structures for stories come from polarities in personalities, and ciertain events have to take place. For instance I made a good idea for a Roiyn Hobb book that i made up. that there is always a differsnt fool and the catylist is always the same person rreborn because he gad sex woth lizards and they turned into dragons and then he kept coming bacj and selemines which were the carvvings of ddragons camme to look after the world and draagons had elderlings and then the fool turned into a selemine and verity but the fools dragons statur came back in time and tried to kill the dragons. that's how i come hp with stories but they become too epic. my harry potter idea is that james is voldemort and albus is albus and they decide to save the muggles eho are findibg out about muggles and are in need of a good kiss or teo and malfoys son is best frjends with james and they are in rravenclaw. but i got all that from the eye so that is bropable alll theid ideaa. I'm on my pbone.
Tiri3l
Just Registered
Just Registered

Postby Tony » Tue Mar 12, 2013 8:21 am

I'd go along with Nightlock. I sometimes just leave it be and then find the story playing itself out in my head when I am waking up some morning in that land between wakefulness and sleep. Some of it can be a little weird but lots of it can be surprising.

If that does not work I just make myself write down something, anything in fact, so I have a starting place or even write out a scene that I have clear in my head wherever it comes from in the story. Then I have to work my way back from there to the start. That's when I can make plans, etc as I know where I am heading.

But whatever works for you do not be afraid to scrap something you loved writing that no longer fits in. Better still, file it away for the story it really belongs in when that comes along.

I
Tony
New User
New User

Postby Bmat » Tue Mar 12, 2013 8:24 am

Tony wrote:...

But whatever works for you do not be afraid to scrap something you loved writing that no longer fits in. Better still, file it away for the story it really belongs in when that comes along.

I

I find it is so difficult to discard something I have worked on and enjoyed, but if it does not fit in, then it has to go. I like Tony's idea of saving it for another story.
Bmat
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Blog: View Blog (10)

Postby nightlock » Tue Mar 12, 2013 11:43 am

Bmat wrote:
Tony wrote:...

I

I find it is so difficult to discard something I have worked on and enjoyed, but if it does not fit in, then it has to go. I like Tony's idea of saving it for another story.

Me too, in fact I used to only write short stories of a few pages max. Or just enough to detail an idea for a fantasy race etc. But I never finished any of them. Then one day, I was looking through all those drafts and realised none of them excluded the others. So I tossed them all on the same fantasy world and it actually worked. So I have a reasonably well worked out world in my folders just waiting for me to finish a story once.

Read New Awakenings

"This is here." :smt104
nightlock
Site Regular
Site Regular

Blog: View Blog (3)

Postby Tony » Tue Mar 12, 2013 12:34 pm

I am working through some similarly old ideas filed away in some very dusty corners of my ancient brain.

Still, Berry, just start something. List the stages / chapter titles in the order you might want things to happen. Then develop your ideas from there. Write character sketches for all your participants and maybe write the odd scene where 2 or more are interacting.

Just have some fun to begin with, after all it might just be the precursor to something much more interesting.
Tony
New User
New User

Return to General Writing Discussion