speculative visionscience fiction and fantasy

E-books vs. Print (or "To E or not to E?")

Magazines, webzines, comic books, etc.

Moderators: Bmat, Qray

Bookmark and Share

Re: E-books vs. Print (or "To E or not to E?")

Postby Merle » Wed Jun 22, 2011 1:19 pm

I still like books, but am enjoying reading on my iPad. And for my aging eyes, it is easier to read now. But reading Lord of the Rings, there are a lot of errors.
Beelzebub has a devil put aside for me.
Merle
Adept Scribe
Adept Scribe

Postby The Master » Wed Jun 22, 2011 5:36 pm

I went through a book collecting phase. Picking up hardbacks from remainder bins and used bookstores on the cheap of favorite authors and series, and sometimes just something random because it was $2.00 and had a great cover. I eventually phased out of it simply because of lack of room to store them and the fact that my ability to acquire them was rapidly outpacing my ability to read them! Moving away from a major city cut off my easy access to multiple bookstores which effectively killed my ability to do it anyway.

Hunting for books was easily as much fun as actually reading them. I knew every used bookstore in a 20 mile radius that had any reasonable amount of genre material. That included a SFF only store that had an amazing selection that included rares and signed books by authors that almost never do signings...if you had the cash to splurge on them of course. I knew where every major chain kept their mark down bins and could do a quick survey in just a few minutes. Mostly I would drop in when I happened to be in their vicinity, but at least one Saturday a month I made my route to all my used stores with a couple of major chain look-sees that I would pass on the way.

I got to know the owners and other folks that worked there. I was so regular that one even started holding things for me that were by authors she knew I collected. One had this great set up of sofas and big comfy chairs and was more than happy to let you sit there and read something whether you had paid for it yet or not (this seemed to be a great marketing tool btw...I think most folks used it to test drive a chapter or two then bought the ones they liked). I also came to know other regulars on the store circuit, not always SFF fans but it didn't really matter. We'd exchange tales of our last great find, or tip each other when we knew such and so store had just bought a large collection. Strange how shopping can become a truly social experience isn't it? It was so enjoyable that I often fancied myself one day owning my own bookstore.

Used bookstores are fading fast, with the one and only new & used bookstore in my town closing its doors a few weeks ago after 25 years leaving only one bookstore in my entire county still open. Regular brick and mortar retail stores seem to be doomed too as online shopping supplants their reason to exist. Don't get me wrong, I shop online and I think its great, but using Google isn't really satisfying in the way that pulling that rare find off a poorly lit back shelf is (and yes, SFF is so often on the poorly lit back shelves!)

I'm sure that eventually I will have some sort of e-reader. Most likely it will just be one of the things whatever tablet PC I have can do. I'm also sure that I will greatly enjoy its convenience. But it can never replace the experience of those book hunts, and it saddens me that they are quickly becoming a thing of the past.
The Master
Site Admin
Site Admin

Blog: View Blog (2)
Art: View My Art Gallery

Postby who me » Thu Jun 23, 2011 1:01 am

" but using Google isn't really satisfying in the way that pulling that rare find off a poorly lit back shelf is"

Google also lacks the used book smell, and you can't lounge in the old sofa read a book.

Sylvia Beach's Book Store Shakespeare and Company was frequented by none other than Gertrude Stein, Ezra Pound, Ernest Hemingway, William S. Burroughs, James Joyce, Ford Madox Ford, F. Scott Fitzgerald, George Antheil, Man Ray.

how cool is that?

how about she published Ulysses in 1922. And it was banned so they smuggled the book into England and the USA.
who me
Resident Author
Resident Author

Blog: View Blog (11)

Postby Qray » Mon Jul 11, 2011 5:02 am

I don't know what it is for me. It could just be the tactile sensation of the book in my hands. The feel of the paper, the sound of the spine when you open the book. Or it may be the way the font looks on the page as opposed to an eReader. Forgetting the history of books and the craftsmanship that go into them, I just don't like eReaders. I didn't like them when they came out and I don't like them now that Apple came out with one and they're the "trendy" thing to have.

I also like the fact then when I drop a book, I pick it back up and it's fine.
I'm going to die the way I've lived...poor, screaming, and naked.
Qray

Blog: View Blog (49)

Postby who me » Mon Jul 11, 2011 2:09 pm

I do not like green eggs and ham.
who me
Resident Author
Resident Author

Postby The Master » Mon Jul 11, 2011 4:37 pm

Qray wrote:I also like the fact then when I drop a book, I pick it back up and it's fine.

HAHA...ain't that the truth!
The Master
Site Admin
Site Admin

Blog: View Blog (2)
Art: View My Art Gallery

Postby Ariel » Fri Jul 29, 2011 6:26 pm

There is nothing like holding an actual book in your hand. I will always treasure regular books, no e-reader for me!!
Ariel
Resident Author
Resident Author

Blog: View Blog (3)

Postby artemisoflight » Wed Dec 07, 2011 11:52 am

I have a kindle and so do my mom, dad and sister. Ebooks are really nice for the quick fix type read. You get your books immediately, instead of getting them shipped or going to a store. What I like to do is buy the hard copy if I like the ebook. There's an adventure/thriller series called Dreamhouse Kings by Robert Liparulo that I really like. I'm going to read the whole series before I get the books, I think. Most of the books I've been reading lately have been electronic because I can take them all with me. The drawbacks is that the e-readers don't display colors, so the covers and art don't always look so good.
artemisoflight
Just Registered
Just Registered

Postby Bmat » Wed Dec 07, 2011 12:53 pm

There are color Kindles now. I'm not likely to get one because I like the Kindle I have now. I like that I can find the meaning of a word very quickly wherever I am reading the Kindle, and that I don't have to take a stack of books on vacation now, just the Kindle and one paperback just in case. It is also nice to be able to change the text size.
Bmat
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Blog: View Blog (10)

Postby who me » Tue Feb 14, 2012 4:28 am

You Don't Own What You Bought.

yes you only get "a limited, terminable, non-exclusive license and right to use the Software for your personal use in accordance with this Agreement and the Subscription Terms. The Software is licensed, not sold.

In one recent case, a man had his entire Amazon Kindle library deleted. And for what crime, you ask? Simply because Amazon suspected that a third party may have unlawfully accessed his account."

http://consumerist.com/2011/07/who-ate- ... count.html

http://allthingsd.com/20090717/amazon-r ... al-policy/
who me
Resident Author
Resident Author

Previous

Return to Other Reading