speculative visionscience fiction and fantasy

Microsoft Flight

Sci-Fi and Fantasy games are some of the most popular on the market. Drop in to talk about your favorites from video games to role playing games.

Moderators: Bmat, Qray

Bookmark and Share

Microsoft Flight

Postby Boikat » Thu Mar 01, 2012 4:11 pm

M$ fell off the wagon on this one. The previous MS Flight Simulators allowed for the addition of freeware and payware addonvehicles and scenery, and for the more savy, modifications and tweakage of aircraft performance and effects, along with SDK's for developing addons, effects, scenery objects, and so on.

Enter MS Flight, the *new* flight simulator. Wait. Is it a sim? Let's find out:

First off, it's FREE! Yes, you heard right, it's FREE. Just Google Microsoft Flight, and I'm sure one of the top links will be to MS Flight's download page.

So, what is in nstore for you, besides some pretty good graphics? Well, you get the The Big Island of Hawaii, and the Icon A5 amphibious aircraft.

That's all.

Yup.

Now, once you've registered with MS Live, you also get a Stearman, and maybe another island. Yup.

Anything beyond that you have to "pay for", either by scoring points by flying missions and achieving goals, which earns you microsoft bucks, or you can purchase them with cashy money, I think.

There will be no freeware addons available. At present, the only other scenery besides The Big Island, are the smaller islands, which also have to be bought. No blasting through the Grand Canyon in your trusty BSG Viper Mk II.

Bottom line, even if the initial cost is "free", it's not my kind of sim. It's not really a sim, it's a game. It's too restricted in it's addons. Not interested.

MS jumped off the "simulation world", and dove head first into the "game arena".
"I reject your reality, and substitute my own!" Adam Savage, Mythbusters
Boikat
Resident Author
Resident Author

Re: Microsoft Flight

Postby The Master » Sun Mar 04, 2012 4:11 pm

I haven't played with MS Flight for a really long time. I remember I was really good at crashing...
The Master
Site Admin
Site Admin

Blog: View Blog (2)
Art: View My Art Gallery

Postby Boikat » Tue Mar 06, 2012 7:21 pm

Here's another reason I am not going to bother with M$ Flight:

Addons like this will not happen.
Boikat
Resident Author
Resident Author

Postby Boikat » Fri Jul 27, 2012 2:39 pm

It's official: MS Flight flopped. Nose dived straight into the ground. Dead, finished, just kick some dirt into the hole to put out the burning JP-4, and move on.

MS messed up by turning their backs on the loyal "traditional" flight simmers, and went for the gamers, not the core users that had made the Flight Simulator franchise a success in the past. Shutting out independant freeware addon designers also didn't help much. By doing so, there would have been very little chance of the wide range of aircraft that are currently available for the older sims (especially the real odd-balls and Sci-Fi addons that I favor). Not only that, but the average die-hard simmer would naturally balk at having to shell out een a few dollars for "MS Approved" addons from "select developers" ("Select" meaning those developers that met some sort of "standard"),and purchaced through the MicroSoft Store. Thre are litterally thusands of addons for the precious Flight Simulator editions, and plenty of extra addon textures (especially for comercial airliners, and the hundreds, or more, different airlines that use them.)

Limiting the "world" the a few of the Hawaiian Islands also didn't help, even though there was supposedly an "Alaska" scenery available. One problem with that is that they didn not have any aircraft in the game capable of the ranged needed to fly to Alaska. Add to that, flying around a limited part of Alaska (Probably around the Sitka area) would have worn out as fast as flying around a few of the Hawaiian islands. After a few hours (at best), the scenery gets boreing, the challenges would cease to be of intrest, and even the hard-core gammer would be inclined to move on to something else. Especially if all you have its the three or four "stock" aircraft. The sporty little amphibious A-5 that comes with Flight may look sweet, but it's no P-51 (Which is available, for a price), and damned sure not capavle of super-sonic, nape of the Earth, grit your teeth, and growl, "All right. Let's see what this baby can do," as you eye the distant horizon.

Just the other day, I recorded a flight from Miami Fl to the Galapogose island, flying the "Spindrift". The flight took 3372 seconds, just under an hour. I forgot to check the distance. That would probably never have happend with MS Flight.

The bottom line was that MS turned their backs on the very people that made the bottom line of the Flight Simulator franchise successful. They went for the cheap thrill of popping "balloons" in preset "missions" to earn "points".

I weep not a single tear.
Boikat
Resident Author
Resident Author

Postby alihadi » Thu May 02, 2019 3:26 am

I haven't played with MS Flight for a really long time. :)
alihadi
Just Registered
Just Registered

Postby FrankC » Tue Aug 20, 2019 3:46 am

alihadi wrote:I haven't played with MS Flight for a really long time. :)

Are you excited for Microsoft Flight Simulator 2019? It was announced recently
FrankC
Just Registered
Just Registered

Return to Games