speculative visionscience fiction and fantasy

Sins of the Wyrm

Moderators: Bmat, Qray

Bookmark and Share

Sins of the Wyrm

Postby Talon Sinnah » Wed Feb 08, 2017 9:14 pm

The world was blurry as he opened his eyes. Smoke filled the air and the smell of ash and melting minerals filled his nostrils as he fought to stand. His small elven frame argued with him as he pushed himself up from the ground he had abruptly became acquainted with. Making his mind focus he pieced together what had happened in what seemed like a day but was most likely only moments. His actions had been foolish and naive like those of a human teenager. He had let foolishness get in the way of his elven reasoning for visions of fame and fortune.

Earlier in the week he had used his magic to help partially dam the River Zet so the tumultuous waters could be harnessed and harvested for all to use. After the praise from all but the mages seeking their praise or for his own pride he put his sight on the Lake of the Fallen. Out of a ill found compassion for those drowned for their crimes he sought to undo the ancient magic that kept their souls trapped beneath the water and the evil force that 'stole' your soul if you dared to gaze upon it.

He thought his magic wards were strong enough and his arcane knowledge vast enough to protect him, but in the end it was his own young arrogance that was his downfall. He thought the legend of Tarthax the Damned was just that a legend. His dabbling in the binding spell and ancient wards freed the terrifying black and red dragon from his prison beneath the Lake of the Fallen. He had unleashed the ancient terror loose on the world once more and the first casualty to the beast had been the small fishing village Gal known for their pacifism that had somehow carved out a living on the shores of the lake. Even the Shaal and other cities guards was not prepared for their death.

(Lynx: 5'8 170 lbs long blonde hair right banes braided tucked behind the ear green left eye blue right both almond shaped. Dressed in dark green traveling cloths with brown heavy leather boots. A baldric holds three pouches on the right side and a decorative Longsword on the left. The sword is decorated with a rose vine engraving. The pommel was decorated with a onyx carved into the shape of a rose. He walks with a large wooden staff carved out of a gnarled piece of wood with a stone of amber in the top. Inside the amber is a black smooth stone.)

3 months later

Kuthersia- With the memory fresh in his mind Lynx steps off the ship in the port of Kuthersia. The docks were hectic to say the least as sailors fought to unload and load their cargo do they could begin to enjoy the leave the captains had given them. Authorities checked papers and exchanged gold for fees as their subordinates began the process of looking for contraband. Lynx walked with a steady gate not wanting to make eye contact with anyone who may be looking to sale something or a free hand out. Just on the shore off the wooden planks was a merchant area with a large glass fountain in the middle. The pure chaos of the area made the fountain's elegance seem out of place as the peddlers yelled out about their wares trying to attract the most attention. Bards played different instruments many only making the area sound noisy as painters made their canvas become the image of their customers choice. Lynx politely waved of a Kuthersian merchant trying to sale a gold sword that may or may not have slain over a thousand Avanoorians in one of their many land disputes. Past the merchant he had to shoulder past some scantly clad women wearing way too much perfume asking for some of his time.

Finally able to breath he walked between two statues of red dragons into a city street. His stomach growled and his throat was parched so the tea house called The Kuthersian Maiden was a very appetizing sight. The calm and quiet atmosphere was a welcome difference from the city outside. The two story building offered private booths on the outside wall for patrons on both levels. Paper lanterns offered the only light and a circular bar in the middle added to the peaceful nature the red and gold paint offered. A lovely young lady with onyx colored hair and matching slanted eyes greeted him in a flowered pink dress.

"Welcome good elf. How may I be of service?"

"I believe I will find a seat at the bar. Thank you though." The young lady walked off and Lynx made his way through the tables and sit down listening to a harp playing. Ordering a drink and some rice balls and a bowl of chicken stock he he sit on the stool and listened.
I am the poet of the body and I am the poet of the Soul. The pleasures of heaven are with me and the pains of hell are with me. The first I graft and increase upon myself, the latter I translate into a new tongue.

-Walt Whitman-
Talon Sinnah
Artisan Wordsmith
Artisan Wordsmith

Blog: View Blog (9)

Re: Sins of the Wyrm

Postby Ariel » Mon Mar 13, 2017 6:26 am

Night Star sat at the bar, her winged wildcat companion curled up on the hardwood floor beside her. She remembered when they first arrived, how the people of the land marveled at the wondrous creature having never seen one of his kind before. They enjoyed her little Pixie companion who was full of life and humorous, though sometimes could be obnoxious and anger some folks. She remembered entering the tree portal from her realm. Snow fell as the wild wind blew chilling her to the bone. Colors swirled in an enchanting mist. The lovely Elf didn't know where it would lead her or how she would fare, but the endless wars of evil were tearing her realm apart and she wanted to escape. She lowered her eyes deep in thought. Images of fallen friends, crimson stained snow and screams of horror haunted her.

She tried to heal, tried to forget, yet somehow memories have a way of holding on and becoming a part of you. When she looked up, she noticed the newcomer, an Elf. She hadn't seen many around in these parts and wondered why he was there, where he was from and what his story was. How she longed for her emerald green Forest of Alandias. Perhaps a journey to find a sacred place such as that was possible. She was ready to search, yet reluctant at the same time. Songs of the ancients filled her thoughts as the harp played in the background. Night Star looked to the Elf sitting beside her and simply nodded in greeting. She was grateful that Pesky, her little pixie friend was engrossed in her food and drink or she would have been talking up a storm and probably annoy the hell out of him.
Ariel
Resident Author
Resident Author

Blog: View Blog (3)

Postby Talon Sinnah » Wed Mar 15, 2017 8:10 pm

Lynx sipped his tea as he looked over the crowd. The winged cat was of interest to him stemming from the fact he had never seen one before. Once his journey was over he may summon one as a familiar if he lived through it. His attention was drawn to the elven woman near it. They were the only elves he could see in the establishment. The slight nod in greeting was returned in kind and after gathering his tea pot and rice balls with the broth he moved closer to her sitting next to her.

"Greetings maiden. My name is Lynx Lothwind would you like to share a few cups of my tea?"
I am the poet of the body and I am the poet of the Soul. The pleasures of heaven are with me and the pains of hell are with me. The first I graft and increase upon myself, the latter I translate into a new tongue.

-Walt Whitman-
Talon Sinnah
Artisan Wordsmith
Artisan Wordsmith

Postby Ariel » Wed Mar 15, 2017 11:40 pm

Night Star smiled warmly, happy to see another Elf. "I am Night Star of Alandia, another realm actually and these are my companions, Pesky the pixie and Sky the winged wildcat. Yes, Thank you, tea would be lovely." Pesky was now alert. "Hello Lynx! So tell me, do you live here or are you just passing through on your way to some great adventure? We have been on many amazing adventures. Haven't we Night Star? Some good, some bad, but adventures nonetheless." Sky stretched his colorful wings then folded them back to his sides. "I'm afraid there aren't many Elves in these parts, very few pixies and none of my own kind. We haven't been here very long and though the people have been kind enough, we pretty much keep to ourselves. Nice to meet you."

Night was very curious about the newcomer and wondered what she might learn about him. Nearby patrons were getting noisier the more they drank. Some were quite merry and others, not so much.
Ariel
Resident Author
Resident Author

Postby Talon Sinnah » Wed Mar 22, 2017 8:09 pm

"Pleasure to meet you and your companions Night Star. A grand adventure I am not so sure of but my travels have brought me here from Shaal." Lynx blew his tea before sipping it. "I come from a Mage school set in the mountains on the banks of the River Zet. My...studies have brought me to Kuthersia." Lynx looked over the crowd before turning his attention back to Night. "To tell you the truth I am looking for information about dragons."

-Walt Whitman-
Talon Sinnah
Artisan Wordsmith
Artisan Wordsmith

Postby Ariel » Sun Mar 26, 2017 11:50 am

Pesky perked up, fluttered her wings and was jumping up and down with excitement. Night hurried to cup the little pixie in her hands to shut her up. They had their companion Storm who was a mighty dragon, but a friendly one unless they were under attack. A muffled voice yelled out. "Yes, we know..." Night then uncapped her hands and pulled the pixie's hair. "Hush! I shall do the talking!" Her eyes widened at the question as she knew some dragons were not to be messed with and people would not hesitate to kill them off in any fashion. Nervously, she spoke. "I...know some things about dragons." She averted his eyes at first and stared at the top of the counter where her cup sat. Finally she looked up at Lynx deciding that she would be able to handle whatever came her way. "What is that you are seeking?" The winged wildcat quietly observed, cautious and waiting.
Ariel
Resident Author
Resident Author

Postby Talon Sinnah » Wed Mar 29, 2017 8:15 pm

Lynx took not of the odd behavior from the trio as he sipped his tea. Chalking it up to a quirk of the species he spoke up. "I've not had much experience with dragons personally and would like to broaden my knowledge. Particularly lore about legendary dragons." Lynx took a second as he remembered the lake incident. "Curiosity has always been a driving force for me and has led to many a moment of...personal growth."

-Walt Whitman-
Talon Sinnah
Artisan Wordsmith
Artisan Wordsmith

Postby Ariel » Thu Mar 30, 2017 12:15 am

Pesky was not pleased with Night Star trying to keep her quiet. "Fine, you tell him! Maybe you should just introduce him to Storm, he's..." The lovely Elf, quickly cupped her hands over the pixie again, but felt guilty and released her. "Alright, maybe we should introduce him, but not anywhere near here." She leaned close to Lynx and whispered. "If it is of interest to you and you wish to travel with us a while, I could introduce you to a wondrous friend of ours who just happens to be a dragon. Though we are from another realm, he has found a secret library in this realm which holds the answers to the legends you speak of and so much more. We decided to stay here and rest a while before meeting up with him again."
Ariel
Resident Author
Resident Author

Postby Talon Sinnah » Tue Apr 04, 2017 12:06 am

"Any help and it company given would be appreciated I assure you. The knowledge of a pure blood dragon would definitely be of assistance to my current predicament. I am sure his library would answer more questions for me as well or it could be my elven Mage curiosity getting the better of me once again." Lynx chuckled at the end.

-Walt Whitman-
Talon Sinnah
Artisan Wordsmith
Artisan Wordsmith

Postby Ariel » Sun Apr 09, 2017 1:17 pm

The beautiful Elf was relieved to finally be in the company of her own kind. "It's settled then. We shall travel deep into the forest to meet up with Storm where it is safe. It would probably be best to travel in the early hours of morn'. We have met no other dragons since we've been here. Are there no more dragons here?" she asked in her soothing gentle voice. Pesky was fluttering her wings and flying about the counter, landing on the edge of cups and a teapot. "What a sad world this must be without the wondrous creatures. It is no wonder you seek the legends of the dragons." She gazed into Lynx's eyes. Do they still exist in this realm?"

Night Star saved the little pixie from falling into a hot cup of tea. "I would imagine there are both good and evil dragons, like other beings and creatures. I just want to assure you that there is nothing to fear from our dragon friend Storm." She smiled. "I sense a lovely warm day for tomorrow's journey. Perhaps we should all retire for the night and meet down here for a quick breakfast before leaving." Sky the winged wildcat sat quietly by their feet, cautiously surveying their surroundings.
Ariel
Resident Author
Resident Author

Postby Talon Sinnah » Mon May 01, 2017 8:20 pm

"I must confess I do not know of any more dragons in this realm other then legends, folklore, or the ramblings of some weary traveler. My teachers used to tell stories of the creatures and their powers but some stories struck fear in the listener so powerful they would have nightmares for months. The only thing I could really gather were they were much like us mortal races and each had their own personalities and ambitions and the only way to judge the creatures was by what they told you. The one thing they had in common was you did not want to get on their bad side. Certain tomes in the mages library stated that very few were left on the planet especially the ones who fought alongside the ancients and imperators even then their names are lost in time." Lynx finished his tea and sat the cup down."Breakfast sounds wonderful.for your companions sake I hope wherever you stay tonight they allow pets."

-Walt Whitman-
Talon Sinnah
Artisan Wordsmith
Artisan Wordsmith

Postby Ariel » Sun May 07, 2017 4:21 pm

Night Star tilted her head. "I suppose the dragons here are much like the ones in my own realm. Often people fear them because they don't know or understand them so they are sought after and slaughtered. The dragons would often take the side of light, though there were evil ones that existed as well, so one could never be too sure. Sky will sleep outside beneath the stars. It is where he is most comfortable."

The winged wildcat looked up at Lynx. "I will not be far, of that I can assure you. Night and I are linked telepathically so if there is trouble, I can alert her." He bowed his head with respect and headed for the tavern door.

"I'm staying with Night Star." replied Pesky. "We are rarely ever parted and they love me here so I will be safe kind Sir."

Night watched as a drunken patron almost fell off his seat when he saw Sky. Evidently he did not notice the large creature earlier. She chuckled and bid her new Elven friend a good night.

She climbed the squeaky, marred wooden stairs to a floor above with Pesky flying beside her. Through the dimly lit halls they were able to find their room. It was sparsely furnished, but comfortable and pleasing enough for the night. Pesky found a vase of flowers on a night stand and decided to sleep on one of the larger flowers. Night, undressed and took a hot, soothing bath. She always brought along her own herbal concoctions of herbal beauty and medicinal potions. She slowly poured scented oils into the bath, slipped in and closed her eyes to meditate. When she found herself getting drowsy, she climbed into bed and entered a dreamless sleep.
Ariel
Resident Author
Resident Author

Next

Return to Lycoria: The Stories