speculative visionscience fiction and fantasy

Most dramatic moments

A distinct form of animated storytelling, anime has legions of fans worldwide.

Moderators: Bmat, Qray

Bookmark and Share

Postby Manji » Thu Sep 08, 2005 4:44 pm

Trigun doesn't get good until Wolfwood steps in. Then it's probably my second favorite anime ever. Then again, I LOVE westerns and have a penchant for characters who carry around guns in an inconspicious gun case.
"Wait, you're telling me Jesus Christ threw up the horns?"-Tycho
"Yeah, man. jesus is F'in Metal"-Gabe

"The road to happiness is paved with a healthy nicotine addiction and aversion to clean air."- Niego.
Manji
Site Regular
Site Regular

Postby Dr_Love » Fri Sep 09, 2005 2:32 pm

Oh, lol Trigun is funny as all get out. But it does get good for the most part later on, and ofcourse....the fight between Vash and Knives is awesome as could be.
"They are a curious thing, these emotions. How they fly in the face of logic, how they overrule the most basic instincts. Because, in the measure of time, in the measure of humanity, we sense those self-indulgent instincts to be a weakness, we sense that the needs of the community must outweight the desires of the one. Only when we admit to our failures and recognize our weaknesses can we rise above them. Together." -Drizzt Do'Urden
Dr_Love
True Visionary
True Visionary

Postby Ranryu » Sat Sep 10, 2005 6:36 pm

One of the more dramatic moments I have seen is in Yu Yu Hakasho while he is fighting the demon with the flute.
:scratch: Can't remember his name.
On the screen as Yuske is on the floor from lack of energy Kieko is almost killed by a living Zombie (In Effect.) So he taps into his own life force, shields her, and destroys the demon the whole time believing he will die.
When in Doubt Reload and Repeat.

(\__/) This is Bunny.
(='.'=) Cut, copy, and paste bunny onto your sig.
(")_(") Help Bunny gain World Domination.
Ranryu
Adept Scribe
Adept Scribe

Postby Dr_Love » Mon Sep 12, 2005 7:20 am

Yea, that is very dramatic....and one of the coolest fights too.
"They are a curious thing, these emotions. How they fly in the face of logic, how they overrule the most basic instincts. Because, in the measure of time, in the measure of humanity, we sense those self-indulgent instincts to be a weakness, we sense that the needs of the community must outweight the desires of the one. Only when we admit to our failures and recognize our weaknesses can we rise above them. Together." -Drizzt Do'Urden
Dr_Love
True Visionary
True Visionary

Postby Mr_D » Mon Apr 10, 2006 10:43 am

Watched Gungrave a while ago. Damn good series with a brilliant twist. But as with Berserk it kinda gets ruined by the first episode being set in the future and the first half of the series acting as a flashback. I'd suggest just not watching the first episode and continuing from there. In any case:

Gungrave: I remember... the blue sky. This requires a little bit of backstory since it's the major dramatic pay off of one a key thematic plot thread in the series. Brandon and Harry are members of the mafia. After years of hard work and sacrifice Harry's become the new head of the organisation after covertly taking out his competition and Brandon is it's top enforcer. Things seem to be working out great for the two best friends. They've been together through everything since they met in an orphanage as kids, now they're on the top of the world. However Brandon's unrequited love Maria is now married to the former Boss, who's retired, leaving the organisation to Harry. But Brandon's happy as long as Maria. The episode begins with Brandon narrating an event in his childhood. "I remember the blue sky..."

The scene starts with the two entering an large glass elevator in the organistion's main headquarters. As the two make their way up the skyscraper there's absolute silence before Harry finally speaks. He wants to kill the former boss, Maria's husband and Brandon's mentor. he attempts to manipulate Brandon's feelings for Maria but Brandon having been raised to never betray his loved ones flies into a fit of rage, drawing his gun on his best friend turned traitor. There's a tense silence before Brandon drops thegun, the tears of a lifetime's memories in his eyes. He can't bring himself to kill Harry.

A shot rings out and Brandon staggers back in shock. Infront of him harry stands, pistol pointed at Brandon. More shots and Brandon hits the glass wall of the elevator. his shirt has turned red with his own blood and he still can't seem to believe what just happened. Harry walks forward and presses the gun up to Brandon's eye, shattering his glasses. He screams out Brandon's name and pulls the trigger, sending Brandon spiralling down from the elevator. As the episode ends we hear Brandon repeating part of the monologue from his memories as a child "i remember... And as the credits roll we see they've turned to black and white.

Unlike Berserk's betrayal which works purely because we've had almost no signs of anything being wrong up until it happens Gungrave's has been subtly sign posted along the way, with the ominous appearance of the red eyed crows as Brandon walks away from Maria to Harry's constant references to his ambition to 'climb the ladder'. In a series that contains a deep characters and a complex, Godfather-esque plot, this is truly one of the most affecting, stand out moments.
Mr_D
Resident Author
Resident Author

Postby Dr_Love » Wed Aug 16, 2006 6:56 pm

Well on Naruto when Naruto gets the mov eused on him 'a thousand years of pain' by his teacher...that was dramatic...or weird one, i don't know which...lol
Dr_Love
True Visionary
True Visionary

Previous

Return to Anime