Trey of Diamonds
Casual Poster
Casual Poster

Scarecrow

Post by Trey of Diamonds »

Scarecrow
By Trey Wickwire

PAGE ONE

Splash page. Two men in scientist garb standing before a figure on a table that is raised so that the figure is nearly vertical. The figure is human but looks as though it is fully incased in neoprene with no seams. Even the face is featureless, as if it had been covered in a thick coating of wax. This is the cyborg called Scarecrow. The room is a high tech laboratory with a large plasma screen on the wall and a computer console built into a desk like something out of NASA.

PAGE TWO

PANEL ONE
A man enters the room. He is dressed in a well tailored suit.

SCIENTIST: Senator Melbourne, welcome to our facility.

SENATOR: Save the pleasantries Doctor, you don’t like me and I don’t like you spending my money so lets just move on shall we.

PANEL TWO
The scientist is aggressive but the senator is unimpressed.

SCIENTIST: Then I must again lodge my complaint at this interruption in my work. We are not ready for a demonstration and the dangers could…

SENATOR: And I must again insist that you show me what you have done with all the tax payer money we gave you. If not, I will be forced to pull all your *beep* funding and kick your ass out on the street. Are we clear on that Doctor?

PANEL THREE
The scientist turns away from the senator and adjusts the console in front of the plasma screen.

SCIENTIST: Fine, you were informed of the dangers. Though it’s obvious you have no understanding of them. Any consequences are on your head.

PANEL FOUR
The large plasma screen shows Nanobytes building new Nanobytes.

SCIENTIST: Our goal is the creation of an automated soldier. To achieve this we have turned to nanotechnology. Nanotechnology is the use of microscopic robots that can assemble molecular structures at an atomic level.

SENATOR: I know what Nanotechnology is Doctor, are you saying this thing is a robot?

PANEL FIVE
The screen now shows a human being dipped in a tank of gel.

SCIENTIST: Partially, the core is human.

SENATOR: An android?

MICHAEL: Technically it is a cyborg.

PANEL SIX
The Doctor looks unhappy that Michael, his assistant, has spoken but the Senator looks to the assistant for clarification. The assistant brings an image of Scarecrow on the screen with a cut away view showing the human core with the layer of gel on the outside.

SENATOR: Like the old Terminator films?

MICHAEL: Sort of, only in the movies the cyborg was a robot encased in flesh, ours is flesh encased in robots.

PAGE THREE

PANEL ONE
The Doctor indicates the screen to regain control of the conversation. The screen shows images of the nanotubes extending through the pores and attaching to the nervous system.

SCIENTIST: We started with a brain dead body. It is immersed into a nanogel, sterile protoplasm that is swarming with nanobytes. The nanobytes extend carbon nanotubes through each pore in the skin and connect to the nervous system of the body. This connection allows the nanobytes to control the body and also draw energy from it giving them a power supply. The nanobytes form a hardened shell around the body with a layer of the protoplasm between it and the body.

PANEL TWO
The screen shows Scarecrow running on a treadmill with wires attached.

SENATOR: So the body is kind of like a battery?

SCIENTIST: Yes a battery and a skeleton to give it form.

SENATOR: How do you control the nanobytes.

SCIENTIST: Currently we are using standard radio waves but any form of communication works. We will be able to control them from satellites with no problem at all.

SENATOR: Speaking of problems, what specifically is delaying the completion of your project.

PANEL THREE
The Doctor and Assistant exchange looks; this is obviously a tender subject.

SCIENTIST: There have been no problems with any of our tests but there is an anomaly that we have not yet explained. Our hesitation at this point is more of a safety precaution than anything else.

SENATOR: So fire this thing up and show me what it can do.

PANEL FOUR
Once again the two scientists exchange a look, this time of fear. But the Scientist nods to his assistant who walks over to the computer console.

PANEL FIVE
Michael flips a switch and Scarecrow’s hand begins to rise slowly.

PANEL SIX
Scarecrow gets off the slab to stand patiently.

PAGE FOUR

PANEL ONE
Close up of the Scientist speaking to Scarecrow.

SCIENTIST: Scarecrow, can you hear me.

SCARECROW: Yes Doctor, I can still hear you, I can always hear you.

PANEL TWO
A larger view of the room so you can see everyone.

SENATOR: Scarecrow?

SCIENTIST: It’s from the Wizard of Oz, since the donor body was brain dead we call our friend here the Scarecrow.

SENATOR: Cute. Where does the voice come from and how does it see.

SCIENTIST: You have to forget that there is a body underneath. The billions of robots that surround the flesh have sensors far beyond human sight and can synthesis any sound.

SENATOR: Amazing.

SCIENTIST: Scarecrow, show the Senator camouflage program number four.

PANEL THREE
Half of Scarecrow can be seen as a blurry image as the other half fades away.

SENATOR: Invisibility?!? How did you accomplish invisibility?

SCIENTIST: We didn’t. Scarecrow’s nanobytes can see in all directions and angles. They record these images and then project them back so that it looks like you are seeing through Scarecrow.

PANEL FOUR
The scientist reaches out and touches Scarecrow. It looks like he is touching solid air.

SCIENTIST: Scarecrow, run camouflage program number eight.

PANEL FIVE
Scarecrows fades again becoming a mirror image of Michael the assistant. Half of him should be blurry while the other half looks like the assistant. The senator has a shocked but excited look on his face.

SENATOR: Astounding, simply astounding. Doctor, this is an amazing success! I still don’t understand your safety concerns.

SCIENTIST: Allow me to demonstrate. Scarecrow, power down.

PANEL SIX
Show a close up of Scarecrow and the Scientist. Scarecrow does not move.

SCARECROW: No.

SCIENTIST: It is time to return to hibernation Scarecrow, get back on the table and power down now.

SCARECROW: No.

PAGE FIVE

PANEL ONE
Back to the full view of the group.

SCIENTIST: You see Senator, this disobedience is of major concern to us. At this point we have to deactivate Scarecrow remotely at the console.

SENATOR: If you can deactivate him then what is the problem?

SCIENTIST: It is just the idea that Scarecrow can refuse a command. That should not happen. The programmers are working round the clock to figure out what is causing it.

SENATOR: This is the only concern you have?

SCIENTIST: Yes but we think it should be fixed before continuing with any field tests.

PANEL TWO

The scientist and the senator are walking towards the door as Michael tries to shutdown

SENATOR: I guess I can understand that. Well Doctor, I must say I came here with a predetermined opinion of you and your project but you have certainly turned me around.

SCIENTIST: Thank you Senator. Let’s go to my office and discuss funding. Michael, shut Scarecrow down.

MICHAEL: Sir, there is something wrong with the computer.

SCIENTIST: Eh, what do you mean?

MICHAEL: The computer, it is not responding.

PANEL THREE
Suddenly the Scarecrow’s hand grabs the scientist by the neck and lifts him off the ground.

SCARECROW: I said no.

PANEL FOUR
Scarecrow snaps the Scientist’s neck and throws the body at Michael.

PANEL FIVE
It strikes the computer console hard enough to collapse it on top of Michael.

PANEL SIX
Then Scarecrow turns his attention to the Senator. His screams roll out of the panel.

SFX: Arrrggh

PAGE SIX

PANEL ONE
A homeless man is sleeping in an alley. Scarecrow is kneeling and looking into his face.

PANEL TWO
The man wakes to find himself looking into a mirror image of himself.

BUM: Johnny? That you?

SCARECROW: No, not Johnny.

PANEL THREE
Scarecrow changes back to his normal neoprene look and reaches into the man’s chest removing his heart.

PANEL FOUR
The homeless man’s eyes go wide and he stares at his beating heart, not knowing if he should scream or cry before he dies. Scarecrow squeezes the heart and blood runs down his arm to the elbow.

PANEL FOUR INSET
Close up of Scarecrows hand holding the heart as blood flows out of it and is absorbed by Scarecrows body.

PAGE SEVEN

PANEL ONE
On a busy night time street we see hookers and drug dealers going about their business with false enthusiasm.

PANEL TWO
Next to one of the hookers a patch of air begins to shimmer and changes into the likeness of the senator.

PANEL THREE
The hooker turns to sees the well dressed man and smiles.

HOOKER: Well hello there, looking for a good time.

SCARECROW: Yes, actually, I am.

PANEL FOUR
In an alley the hooker takes his hand and puts it under the scrap of cloth that barely passes as a shirt.

PANEL FIVE
Scarecrow fondles the woman’s breast and she rubs her hand on his crotch.

HOOKER: Easy there sport, you don’t have to squeeze too hard. I don’t get into the rough stuff.

PANEL SIX
Hooker begins to look distressed now and in pain.

HOOKER: Ow, you’re hurting me! If I scream my pimp will *beep* you up for messing with me!

PAGE EIGHT

PANEL ONE
A scream comes from the alley drawing everyone’s attention. A large black man and two of his slightly smaller comrades are running towards the alley with guns drawn.

SFX LETTERS DRIPPING BLOOD: Eeeeeeeahhhh

PANEL TWO
They find Scarecrow standing over the hooker. He is his normal self and in his hand is the hooker’s large breast. He is squeezing the blood out of it with both hands.

PANEL TWO INSET
From the breast falls a silicone implant. It hits the ground with a squishy thud.

SFX: Thud

PANEL THREE
The three black men are blazing away. Bullets strike Scarecrow and appear to be absorbed into his body.

PANEL FOUR
He holds up his hand, palm down and the bullets fall from his palm unmarred, as if they had not just made impact.

PANEL FIVE
Scarecrow walks over to the men as they continue to fire. He grabs one by the hair and draws his hand across his throat.

PANEL FIVE INSET
A blade barely a molecule thick has extended from Scarecrow’s finger.

PANEL SIX
Scarecrow uses this blade to open the mans arteries.

PANEL SEVEN
Scarecrow hold the dying man above his head and lets the blood flow over his body, absorbing it before it can reach the ground.

PAGE NINE

PANEL ONE
The other smaller black man leaps on Scarecrows back while the larger man, the pimp, stares frozen in place.

PANEL TWO
Scarecrow tosses the dead man away and pulls the man clinging to his back over his shoulder.

PANEL THREE
Just as before, he slices the man’s throat and lets the blood rain down on him.

PANEL FOUR
The pimp is praying to God as Scarecrow approaches him. The hooker is sobbing in the background.

PANEL FIVE
Scarecrow shimmers and then turns into a mirror image of the Hooker with a leering grin on her face. The pimp is confused.

PANEL SIX
Scarecrow slashes with his hand, each finger extending a molecule thick edge that leaves four deep slashes across the pimp.

PAGE TEN

PANEL ONE
As the pimp dies Scarecrow stands over the hooker, still looking just like her but with blood dripping from her fingers.

PANEL TWO
Then she shimmers and returns to Scarecrows black featureless body.

PANEL THREE
Suddenly Scarecrow and the hooker erupt into flames when something explodes right on top of them.

SFX LETTERS ON FIRE: KA BLOOM

PANEL FOUR
A military style helicopter is flying above Scarecrow. Michael, the assistant, is hanging on for dear life but still pointing out of a side door. A man with a compact rocket launcher is next to him. This is the Colonel. Helicopter should have open sides for the exhaust from the launcher. The two have headsets to talk to each other.

COLONEL: Point blank, I don’t think he’s coming out of that one.

MICHAEL: Don’t be so sure Colonel, Scarecrow can take anything you can throw at him.

PANEL FIVE
Scarecrow is walking out of the flame where the hooker’s feeble twitches can still be seen. The fire seems to melt off of him as he looks up at the helicopter.

PANEL SIX
Michael points while clinging to the helicopter.

MICHAEL: You see he’s impervious to conventional weapons up to and including anti-tank missiles. It would take a bunker buster just to dent him. You have to get me within thirty feet for three minutes.

COLONEL: Thirty feet for three minutes? What for?

MICHAEL: Scarecrow has a self destruct mechanism but he appears to have deactivated it. I have a fail safe but it requires close proximity.

COLONEL: I suppose you need me to make sure he doesn’t kill us both during those three minutes.

PANEL SEVEN
Scarecrow shimmers and disappears.

MICHAEL: Both of us ideally but me for sure.

COLONEL: Very funny.

MICHAEL: I’m not joking, you’re expendable if that’s what it takes to destroy Scarecrow.

PAGE ELEVEN

PANEL ONE
A close up of Michael and the Colonel inside the helicopter. Michael and the Colonel are looking at the screen of a laptop. On it is a red blip moving across a map of the city below.

COLONEL: How are you tracking it?

MICHAEL: Scarecrow’s nanotechnology emits energy on a certain wavelength and I can track him that way. If he figures out what I’m doing he can alter the wavelength and we could lose him.

PANEL TWO
Show a larger view of the inside of the helicopter as the two talk.

COLONEL: The police are saying he absorbed the blood of his victims. Did you create some kind of vampire Doc?

MICHAEL: It’s the iron and other trace elements that are found in blood. The nanobytes can use them to manufacture more of themselves.

COLONEL: Sounds like a vampire to me.

MICHAEL: Vampire, werewolf, ghoul, all rolled into one. He takes blood because it is the easiest to process quickly. If he had the time he could process the entire mass of a human body.

COLONEL: Why design it to do that?

MICHAEL: We didn’t. Scarecrow was designed to accumulate materials from his surroundings. His programming didn’t specify where to get these materials, he chose to harvest from human victims on his own.

PANEL THREE
Scarecrow is in the shadows below the helicopter. He looks up at the flying machine.

CAPTION SCARECROW THINKING: Unidentified threat appearance rate: High
Probability of tracking measures: High
Probable method of tracking: Unknown
Initiating threat level four, extreme countermeasures approved.

PANEL FOUR
Scarecrow stands with his hand raised pointing at the helicopter. A stream of nanobytes flies from his hand and strikes the helicopter. The stream is only a few molecules thick so no one in the helicopter can see it. Maybe use an inset to show the Nanobyte stream.

PANEL FIVE
The helicopter is landing near the docks, smoke coming from its engine. Tied up to the dock is a Coast Guard Cutter with crewmen making ready to sail.

PILOT: Engine Failure, I’m taking her down.

PANEL SIX
Michael and the Colonel exit the helicopter. Michael is holding the laptop, the colonel carries a large case and the same rocket launcher.

MICHAEL: He’s nearby, about four hundred yards, are you ready.

COLONEL: After seeing him walk out of that rocket blast I don’t think I can guarantee you three full minutes.

MICHAEL: He is moving this way, not fast but steady.

PAGE TWELVE

PANEL ONE
The colonel looks around and sees the Cutter.

COLONEL: This way.

PANEL TWO
The two board the Cutter, a midshipmen tries to stop them.

COLONEL: We need to see the Captain now!

PANEL THREE
The Captain comes out of the wheel house.

CAPTAIN: I am the Captain, what are you doing on my ship.

MICHAEL: Two hundred yards, he’s speeding up.

COLONEL: Introductions later Captain, we have to get twenty feet off this dock fast or we are all dead.

PANEL FOUR
The Captain looks at the Colonel, spies the rocket launcher.

COLONEL: Captain, we’re the good guys I swear but a terrorist is coming and he will destroy this boat and everyone on board if we don’t move.

PANEL FIVE
The captain thinks a moment and then decides.

CAPTAIN CALLING TO MEN ON DOCK: Cast off, get those ropes off the dock now.

PANEL SIX
Turning to the Colonel.

CAPTAIN: You are lucky we were already preparing to leave or this would have taken longer. What is the situation?

PANEL SEVEN
The Colonel keeps Michael from saying cyborg.

MICHAEL: We are tracking a…

COLONEL INTERUPTING: Terrorist and he’s very close.

MICHAEL: One hundred yards and closing.

PANEL EIGHT
The Captain looks out at the dock, searching for the terrorist.

CAPTAIN: We should be able to see him if he is that close.

COLONEL: He has stealth technology, are we twenty feet from the dock?

CAPTAIN: About twenty five, but that is pretty close, if he has any weapons at all they’ll hit us.

PAGE THIRTEEN

PANEL ONE
Michael is pointing at the dock. Scarecrow is materializing, have there and half still invisible.

MICHAEL: There!

COLONEL: How close?

MICHAEL: Forty feet, he’s standing to far from the edge.

PANEL TWO
Scarecrow walks to the edge of the dock looking down at the water.

PANEL TWO INSET
MICHAEL: Got him! I just need three minutes now to run the sub routine.

PANEL THREE
Michael is typing on his laptop. A count down is started and should be displayed at various points during the next sequence.

SFX COUNTDOWN: 3:00

PANEL FOUR
Scarecrow looks up from the water and points at the Cutter.

SFX COUNTDOWN: 2:43

PANEL FIVE
A crewman yells from the wheelhouse.

SFX COUNTDOWN: 2:28

CREWMAN: Captain, the bilges have started sucking in water instead of pumping it out.

CAPTAIN: What? Stop them!

CREWMAN: No good, we’re taking on water fast!

PANEL SIX
The Colonel loads his rocket launcher. Michael is still typing on his laptop.

FX COUNTDOWN: 1:57

MICHAEL: Scarecrow has taken over your computer systems Captain, he is attempting to sink your boat.

COLONEL: Maybe this will distract him.

PANEL SEVEN
The Colonel fires his rocket launcher, the rocket striking Scarecrow right on the chest and exploding into a huge fireball.

FX COUNTDOWN: 1:38

FX LETTERS OF FIRE: Ka Bloom

PAGE FOURTEEN

PANEL ONE
The fireball has had no effect on Scarecrow. Small flames can be seen drifting away from Scarecrow, as if they had run out of fuel. Scarecrow is now pointing at the water and stepping off of the pier. Nanobytes streaming from Scarecrows hand have harden the waters surface making a bridge out to the cutter.

FX COUNTDOWN: 1:14

PANEL TWO
The Colonel fires his rocket launcher again. This time the small missile impacts on the water right in front of Scarecrow sending him into the air with a geyser of water.

FX COUNTDOWN: 1:02

FX LETTERS OF WATER AND FIRE: Ka Sploosh

PANEL THREE
Scarecrow sinks under the water’s surface while the Cutter continues to sink, listing badly.

FX COUNTDOWN: 0:46

COLONEL: Where is he?

MICHAEL: Still in range.

PANEL FOUR
Suddenly the ship lurches and everyone is thrown to the deck. The laptop falls from Michael’s hands.

FX COUNTDOWN: 0:22

PANEL FIVE
From the water Scarecrow rises. The Cutter is coming apart, being dismantled by the nanobytes streaming from Scarecrow.

PANEL FIVE INSET
Michael grabs the laptop.

FX COUNTDOWN: 0:03

MICHAEL: Now!

PANEL SIX
Michael hits the enter key.

FX COUNTDOWN: 0:00

PAGE FIFTEEN

PANEL ONE
Explosive devises set along the spine of the human body at the core of Scarecrow explode. The explosive force trys to escape the hard nanobyte shell causing Scarecrow to glow from within and bright light to show in cracked area.

CAPTION: Epilogue.

PANEL TWO
Michael and the Colonel are standing on the dock talking to a police diver.

MICHAEL: Are you sure there was no body.

DIVER: We dredged and sent three teams of divers down. I don’t know what happened to your guy but there’s nothing down there.

PANEL THREE
The diver walks away. Michael looks worried, the Colonel looks unconvinced.

COLONEL: What do you think happened?

MICHAEL: The human body Scarecrow was using was destroyed, transformed into a molecular paste. The nanobyte shell should have lost cohesion and separated in to molecule sized debris. But…

COLONEL: But you have your doubts.

MICHAEL: No, no doubts. It’s over.

PANEL FOUR
Under the water a black ball lies in the silt, a stream of nanobytes streaming out from it to attack a large fish, dragging it towards it in molecular size pieces.

- Fin
<> <> <> Trey of Diamonds <> <> <>
Traffic and Logistics Manager
Visionary Comics Studio
Creator of Mamluk and Cyra
http://www.comicspace.com/trey/

Bmat
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Post by Bmat »

Very enjoyable! Congratulations on a well-written tale that has an ending that enhances the experience of reading the story.

I caught one grammar error- synthesis I think it was, and it should be synthesize.