Postby Bmat » Thu Apr 07, 2005 7:44 pm

Bmat
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Blog: View Blog (10)

The beginning...

Postby Neurolanis » Thu Apr 14, 2005 8:03 am

Posted By: Neurolanis Jul 24, 2004 - 06:03 pm

[An adventure in the world of Severnia for mysterious gold. New players are welcome to join in anytime. Just introduce your character briefly in brackets at the top of your first post.]

**Starting OUTSIDE the Jaded Wayfarer Inn
In the nation of Kiuhit, of the Middle Realms. The journey heads west to the east of Avanoor.**

Rathsarann stepped outside. His five Klundorien followers approached him lordly. They carried many bags, and donned newly purchased sheet armor and weapons placed in dark red leather sheaths, which included various swords, daggers, axes, knives, fancy maces, and various parrying weapons. They circled round their sagacious leader like a swarm of tricksy crows. He knew them all very well, inside and out. Each of them had been chosen for this reason. There was nothing that any of them could hide, or blindly claim ability in. They were his tools, and proud to be so.

After all, this was Rathsarann. Adventurer, merchant, political power and great sorcerer. A man who knew the many lands and their many peoples. A man who had experienced the things that most men and women could only dream of. Yet no one really knew Rathsarann. No one but Prmtarh. Prmtarh was the leader of his pack under his command, yet he was as shady and as obscure as Rathsarann.

"We're ready," spoke Prmtarh, whispering clearly.

"Good," said Rathsarann, looking about to make sure that he was alone. "I don't believe that they suspect anything. They are untrusting of us in general, especially the one named Rowena. We...haven't exactly equated each other.

"She," groaned Prmtarch. "Females belong at home, not in adventures."

"These are changing times," said Rathsarann. "And not all races hold the virtues of Klundors."

"When do we make the --"

"Shh," hushed Rathsarann. "The others are on their way out of the inn. Act simple and honest," he said to them. "Just follow Prmtarch's lead. Lay to the back of the pack, and be patient."

Posted By: SirJill Jul 24, 2004 - 06:35 pm

Rowena was just close enough to the door that she heard 'be patient'. She blinked curiously but did not come out of the Inn just yet. Instead her hand went down to play with the knife at her waist. It was a odd gesture for her; she had never messed idly with her weapons before and frankly the habit didn't suit her. Most importantly she had never done it before.

Slowly something inside her drew back and she shook herself, a slight smile still on her mouth. She paused for another moment and then walked out into the Inn's courtyard, looking directly at Rathsarann. The she moved toward him, her hand still playing with the dagger.

"I have a proposition for you." She said quietly. "I know you're up to something and I want in on it. I've," She chuckled a little, "Been watching."

Posted By: Magus Jul 24, 2004 - 06:46 pm

Jacatour, Shabel-Grah and Thomas all left the inn together. The sun was coming out and the day was warming. It was just past high noon but still held the feel of a summer morn. These were changing times indeed. Just a decade ago this time of year would be welcoming the cool breezes fall. The leaves would begin to gain an earthy color and fall from wence they came. Indeed these were changing times.

The mud had begun to dry. It was now beginning to cake over. The streams were still flooded from the night's rain, but had also begun to recede.

Shabel-Grah thought of his brother. He thought of Sabal-Gah. He also thought of his mother and his father. Both of his parents had been loving. He could not express his love for them in words. Vengence would be his.

Jacatour lead the other two out the door. His face was blank and stolid. Alana was what was on his mind. Alana and Yissam Snizwatt. No two things could bring forth such a yingyang of emotions. Both pure love and righteous hatred.

Thomas still paid all of his attention to the shapeshifter. His love deepened for her, though he didn't know exactly why. He knew only that he would profess sooth to her ere journey's end.

Posted By: Neurolanis Jul 24, 2004 - 06:59 pm

Rathsarann winked secretly at Rowena as if to say 'we'll talk later', and took his professional stand before Jacatour. "You must be Jacatour," he bowed. "I hope that the differences between our peoples does not interfere with our business venture."

Posted By: Magus Jul 24, 2004 - 07:12 pm

Jacatour looked at the man in front of him. Technically he was a adrk elf, but Jacatour cared not for such trivial details. He knew him only as he was.

"I suppose we shall see about that. But know this, I trust yee not elf. Be on thy guard. If the beasts fail to kill you then ye may face I. I know ye are up to something foul, something as vile as yon soul. If a beast rips at ye flesh I'll help ye not. You stay out of my way and I'll stay out of yours, and that is sooth."

Shabel-Grah looked at Jacatour. His look told his feelings. He had always been more accepting and open than his partner. He had always looked for the inner good of any whom he met. I guess that's a luxury that a half-orc who's mother tried to kill him before killing herself couldn't afford.

Posted By: SirJill Jul 24, 2004 - 07:17 pm

Rowena kept her place behind Rathsarann, on hand still on the dagger as she watched Jacatour with cool eyes. Her fingers tapped a strange rhythm on the pommel of her dagger as she watched the two and waited for Rathsarann. She could wait. After all, she'd been waiting for nearly five years.

Posted By: Neurolanis Jul 24, 2004 - 07:18 pm

Rathsrann grinned surreptitiously to himself, taking amusement in Jacatour's rich character, and bowed again, in agreeance.

Posted By: Magus Jul 24, 2004 - 07:21 pm

Jacatour could hardly object to Rathsrann's manners. But neither could he betray his inner self, his inner instinct which had kept him alive for so very long. He knew that he was not to be trusted. He knew he was better off dead. If Yissam Snizwatt didn't do away with him soon, then he might have to.

Shabel-Grah smiled jovially. It looked to him that things would turn out well. Jacatour hardly took a shining to the elf, but neither would he kill him. They were off to a rocky start, but a start none-the-less. It was, after all, much better then no start at all. Thomas seemed to click in agreement.

Posted By: Esioul Jul 25, 2004 - 01:51 am

Judith woke and realised she had overslept.
"****!" she said, scrambling out of bed (which was bound to give her a headache for the rest of the day)and grabbing her half packed bag, crushing thigs into it as she ran down the stairs as quickly as she dared. Everyone else was outside, looking as if they were about to leave. She wondered if anyone had stolen her horse; but no, the horse was there, tied up at the wall. She flung her saddle bags on, releived. She'd been too drunk to check last night.

She noticed that no one looked particularly happy, or at least that everyone looked somewhat wary. Probably Rathsarann's fault. But it didn't matter; with any luck, if she was successful, she could find some way to incriminate Rathsarann in something, and K'Lark would execute him.

Rowena looked even more suspicious than Rathsarann and Jacatour did.
"Relax." Judith said to her. "We'll all be dead soon, so it won't matter."

Posted By: Neurolanis Jul 25, 2004 - 05:48 am

"You there, stable boy!" called Rathsarann to a young man by the inn's stable who looked rather like a zombie. The young man was suddenly quite awake. "Bring us all our horses! Pronto!"

(Hashin Froy, young attractive Human male with black hair, dark eyes, wearing a black cloak and owning a fancy silver sword sheath with engraved exotic designs. He is a ranger.)

A mysterious young man then stepped out of the inn. He had black hair, dark eyes and wore a black cloak over a beaver skin vest and dark blue cotton pants. A large carryon bag lay upon his left shoulder. He wore a gray hood, and his eyes and face were thus barely visible. "Name's Hashin Froy," said the young man, drawing near. "I was told about you inside by the barkeep. Says you want help for a dangerous task. How much does it pay?" As he came near it was seen that he was actually an attractive young Human, if noticeably somewhat eccentric.

Posted By: Magus Jul 25, 2004 - 06:07 am

Jacatour looked with contempt on this man. He's just another untrustworthy face. This one he did prefer over the elf, but that one he was stuck to. This one he wasn't.

"Full up. We have more help then we want already. Go home and farm sheep."

Shabel-Grah looked on Jacatour with disappointment. He expected better of his friend. He interjected before Jacatour could continue.

"We are open to ANY who wish to come. You get equal share of the treasure, if you decide to venture with us. Be warned, we follow in the wake of evil and evil follows in our wake. It is no trifle position."

Posted By: Neurolanis Jul 25, 2004 - 07:40 am

"Sounds fine," said Hashin. He was mysterious, however seemed not to be a sleaze like Rathsarann. There was something deeply mystical about the man. Something powerful. Yet, he seemed genuine and mosest on the outside. His eyes were darkly and yet exposing a child-like innocence. He seemed desperate for some cash, but didn't seem like the kind of man who would do ANYTHING to get it. Despite his mystery, he could be described as an honost man.

Hashin turned to Rathsarann, who in turn lowered his head secretly. Hashin looked to be seeing strait into the soul of Rathsarann, yet was quite able to penetrate a certain layer. Hashin seemed suspicious of the Klundors. He looked over the other members and seemed eased by what he read in them.

Rathsarann snatched his black staff from his horse as the stable boys arrived with their rides.

Posted By: SirJill Jul 25, 2004 - 09:01 am

As Hashin walked out Rowena burst into a fit of hysterical laughter which continued until she had a horse in front of her. She breathed for a few moments and then was silent, staring straight ahead, as if somewhere else. Then she blinked amber flecked eyes and mounted her horse, absently forgetting her stachel on the ground. She leaned over the horse and called her bag to her. Magic flared briefly as the bag rose the several feet to her hand and she grinned again before shouldering it.

Posted By: Esioul Jul 25, 2004 - 09:11 am

Judith glanced at Hashin and winked at him. Probably a bit younger that me, she thought, but nice, nonetheless. She mounted her horse, and wished that Rowena would be quiet. She never could stand hysterical laughter.

Posted By: Neurolanis Jul 25, 2004 - 09:26 am

Hashin looked shyly away from Judith, and mounted his black horse.

Posted By: Magus Jul 25, 2004 - 09:41 am

Jacatour let loose a sigh of frustration.

We embark on a quest with a pack of idiots! We are the fellowship of fools! Thought the mighty half-orc.

He mounted his steed, a great black horse with a silvery-white mane. He took a shining to this horse for one reason only, its eyes. It had the same crimson sheen to them as he did his.

Shabel-Grah mounted a chestnut colored horse. It was older and more worn than the others, but he sensed and inner strength and an inner wisdom that he respected in the beast. Older made wiser and wiser made dependable, so the saying went. If so then he was in the best position of them all.

Thomas stooped on his wizard's shoulder like a parot on a pirate. He surveyed the scene in his own manner. His eyes carressed the image of his beloved. If only his body would do what his heart wished.

Posted By: SirJill Jul 25, 2004 - 09:45 am

Now settled on her horse Rowena steered it over to Hashin.

"Have fun, kids." She whispered to him, even though she seemed barely older than he was.

Her next stop was next to Rathsarann. She broke through his guards, helpers, tools, whatever they were and positioned her horse next to him, her smile changing from amused to serious. "As I said before, we must talk, Klundor. I propose now. I am--anxious as of now."

Posted By: Magus Jul 25, 2004 - 09:54 am

A cold breeze came in from the northeast. It forbode danger, that much was clear. Shabel-Grah was never the best at reading the weather. He knew enough that something was coming, something would happen to them.

Jacatour hardly felt the wind at all. He was resiliant to the elements and his cloak was warming. He loaded his pack onto his horse. He couldn't wait for the journey's end, the sooner done the sooner departed from his companions. Thomas and Shabel-Grah were the only ones he could count on at all. He'd keep them and discard these second-rate adventurers if he could. Shabel-Grah, however; had the impression that numbers were needed to assist them. Numbers would only get in the way, or so Jacatour thought.

Posted By: Neurolanis Jul 25, 2004 - 10:05 am

"A link to the past," said Rathsarann. "Scrolls, which unlock a vital link to understanding the link to my people. In particular, my own family. I come from a highly respectable family who are highly respected in the Moroca empire. A paint of tarnish plagues us however. Another Klundorien family, who's name I will not mention, for they are powerful indeed, were responsible for igniting a war long ago that nearly destroyed my people. My family got the blame. An old prophet sends me on this mission. The scrolls, I hope, will point the blame where it belongs."

Hashin rode over to them. His hearing, apparently, was quite keen. "That could cause a civil war," he said. "As well, if it is the J'Khaldean family that you refer to, your task could place us all in great danger."

Rathsarann shrugged, thinking carefully. "No, it's not them. Another family. Worry not, my risk is my own. Besides, they know nothing about this."

Posted By: Magus Jul 25, 2004 - 10:19 am

Jacatour was not as stupid as he looked, nor as deaf. His senses were highly attuned, thanks to his orcish self. He mind was strong enough to understand the gravity of the information, complements of his human half. He only heard snip-bits of the conversation, but it had been enough.

"A link to the past...." "...war..." "...old prophet..." "...mission..." "...civil war..." "...place us all in great danger..." "...they know nothing of this."

He had heard enough, but decided to keep this knowledge to himself. It would be wiser to collect all opposition, even if under his own nose. He would keep an eye and one half cocked on them. They were not to be trusted.

Shabel-Grah heard nothing of this, his senses were not nearly sharp enough to pick up the conversation at all. He was clickinbg away with Thomas about the coming adventure. He took a hadfull of oats and fed it to the horse. Departure was nigh.
Neurolanis
Resident Author
Resident Author

Postby Neurolanis » Thu Apr 14, 2005 8:04 am

Posted By: SirJill Jul 25, 2004 - 10:19 am

Rowena made to shove Hashin off his horse, "Stay where you belong." She snarled and then glared at Rathsarann. "This needs to be some place private. Do not mess with me on this."

She gave Hashin a disgusted look and then kicked her horse forward, waiting for Rathsarann to follow.

Posted By: Neurolanis Jul 25, 2004 - 11:36 am

Hashin looked confused, but left them alone without a fuss.

Posted By: Neurolanis Jul 25, 2004 - 11:37 am

Rathsarann followed.

Posted By: Neurolanis Jul 25, 2004 - 11:42 am

**Marg's Cemetery, some twenty miles to the west. A strange fog poored up from a low bog, covering the sky as if in devilish cloud. The full moon gaped at them like an eye. The sun struggled to break out.**

The riders slowed. A small band of Elves had set up camp just off the main road. They were merchants, and quite busy in conversation. They planned to head east, this much was clear by the few words spoken in the common tongue. They all seemed smart, sleek warriors and travlers, but the Elves payed them little mind.

Posted By: SirJill Jul 25, 2004 - 11:56 am

Rowena rounded her horse glaring at Rathsarann. "I want in on the real thing. Not the story you're feeding to the others. I heard you talking outside and I know enough. Get me in on it or I'll expose all of you. And Shabel-Grah feels sorry enough for me he'll..." She smirked, "Well, lets just say your head won't be connected to your neck very long after that."

Posted By: Neurolanis Jul 25, 2004 - 12:16 pm

"I've told you all I know. I don't know what you think you heard, but learn to forget it. Lets just work together." His words were rather dry.

Posted By: SirJill Jul 25, 2004 - 12:26 pm

"Rathsarann." She growled, "I can help you. Whatever things I said or did before I was...different. I have the feeling your master can help me now. I need that to be able to get rid of her once and for all."

Posted By: Esioul Jul 25, 2004 - 12:55 pm

"Rid of who?" said Judith, coming up behind them. Might as well be nosy if it'll nose out the truth, she thought.

Posted By: SirJill Jul 25, 2004 - 01:00 pm

Rowena whirled on her horse and conjured a legnth of magical fire which flickered in her palm, twisting around her fingers playfully. She glared at Judith and the fire wandered out from her hand, dancing in front of the other woman's face. "Back off right now and don't say another word." She said.

Posted By: Esioul Jul 25, 2004 - 01:14 pm

"Then we have a problem. You see, I like saying words" said Judith. How annoying this was; but it would be embarressing to back down now. She drew her sword.

Posted By: SirJill Jul 25, 2004 - 01:36 pm

Rowena's fire lashed out as if to whip her across the face as she drew her own sword, steering her horse with her feet. She glared at Judith. "You're being a stupid arrogant girl. That is something that doesn't belong in this world."

(*NB if you allow it the fire will lash across Judith's face. I didn't know what you wanted so could you convey the outcome in your next post?)

Posted By: ForeverZero Jul 25, 2004 - 02:03 pm

Indeed, Phantom did have that affect on people. They hardly noticed he was gone. He could kill them all right now, just as he did hundreds of others, and they wouldn't know a thing.

But there were more pressing matters. As Phantom watched the group from the cliff above another had met him here. A man Phantom was waiting to meet ever since he began his training with his Sensei.

He was called 'Shadow', of course, keeping the same theme of names that students of the Blade of Heaven and Hell were given. They were named so because the shadows were their home, and they were ghosts among the world. It was only natural Phantom would be forgotten so and able to follow undetected.

"So, you are Shadow," Phantom turned to the man.

"Yes. What happened to your Sensei is truly unfortunate," he replied.

He was wearing a black cloak with a hood, of course with sleeves and gauntlets to allow more free movement. The cloak was short for more movement capabilities, yet still hung to abou his calves. The hood was drwn over his face, and he wore a white mask with only a visor to see through. The mask had a gash in it that would have blinded his right eye.

"Tell me something. You studied under the same master, correct?"

"In a way."

"Why wasn't it you who killed him?"

"I was not a student of his. If I was that would have been the case, as that is tradition for true graduation as a Master of Heaven and Hell. But your Sensei and I were fellow students under a different master."

"I see," Phantom replied. He looked toward the group; they were moving quickly. He and Shadow dashed quickly along the cliff, leaping and bounding across chasms with seemingly inhuman endurance, keeping an even pace with the horses below.

"Tell me," Phantom asked as he ran, "you know about 'her', right? What she intends to do?"

"Yes," Shadow replied, "but this is a matter of fellow students. I am considered an Elder to you, and I am forbid to enter in your affairs. This task is for you, and you alone."

"Very well," Phantom replied.

"I will be watching you, Phantom. If you seek advice I am always close by."

At that note, he leapt to a higher cliff and was out of sight, but Phantom knew he would still follow.

Phantom continued to keep pace with the horses, but remained in the high cliffs. He was suprised that Jacatour, as good a warrior as Phantom remembered, did not even sense his presence. Perhaps Phantom was more attuned to his namesake than he thought.

Posted By: Esioul Jul 25, 2004 - 02:09 pm

Judith ducked, and the fire shot over her head.
"Let's keep this fair and stick to steel, shall we? Darling, if stupid arrogant girls don't belong in this world, then we're both somewhere else right now"

Posted By: SirJill Jul 25, 2004 - 02:16 pm

"I suspect I have more of a problem then you do." Rowena shot back, and then snorted, "At least I realize the truth about women. They're stupid, arrogant and corrupting."

Posted By: Esioul Jul 25, 2004 - 02:19 pm

"Um, I take it you're not a feminist then" said Judith "That's too bad, because I am"

Juith was annoyed now. She thought about her sword.

Posted By: Magus Jul 25, 2004 - 02:21 pm

Again Jacatour listened in on the conversation that had just unfolded. He didn't catch all of it but had couht enough. "So are you..." "...truly unfortunate..." "...studied under the same master..." "...I was not..." "...that would have been..." "...is tradition..." "...Master of Heaven and Hell..." "...fellow students..." "...different master..." "...know about her..." "...intends to do..." "...I am..." "...elder to you..." "...I will be watching..." "...a;ways close by..."

Again, he cought only snip-bits of the conversation. Phantom would have to be watched. This was not just a fellowship of fools but a fellowship of deceit and secrets.

Shabel-Grah and I, he thought, must hold palavar. Councils must be exchanged.

Posted By: SirJill Jul 25, 2004 - 02:24 pm

"Humph, Anything but, girlie." She twirled her sword and waited for the other's movements.

Posted By: Magus Jul 25, 2004 - 02:28 pm

Shabel-Grah had watched the unfolded and increasingly fiery duel between the two women. It had gone far wnough. He leaned closer and began to utter a silent spell.

Jacatour's hand flew out, quick as a flash, in front of Shabel-Grah's hands, preventing the casting of the spell.

"Leave 'em be, Shabel. It must be settled here ere they err elswhere. Anyway, we must hold private Palavar. Not now but soon."

Shabel-Grah stared into his friend's eyes. He supposed he was the only one who could truly call him friend and have it be sooth. The only one since... since...

He was dissappointed at the prevention of his spell. It was magic wasted, and such things are not highly looked upon by fate. They would be repaid for such spoil ere the end of all things.

Posted By: Esioul Jul 25, 2004 - 02:35 pm

But Judith wasn't worrying about the end of all things yet.
"Any woman," she said, "who isn't a feminist- she doesn't belong here. I hate soppy girls! Now, are you about to prove yourself a feminist or a sop?"

Posted By: SirJill Jul 25, 2004 - 02:41 pm

Rowena blinked and for a second the amber flecks in her eyes disappeared. "Get Shabel!" She choked in a totally different tone than the scornful one she'd used before. It was..desperate. But the moment passed and she blinked again--and there were the amber flecks. She readjusted the sword and snarled, "Nevermind that. I don't care what you think about me, the only thing that matters is how good you are with a sword."
Neurolanis
Resident Author
Resident Author

Postby Neurolanis » Thu Apr 14, 2005 8:06 am

Posted By: Esioul Jul 25, 2004 - 02:47 pm

"Not to bad. Now, do you want to test it out here, in the middle of the road, or wait till later? We're probably getting in the way" said Judith. Try to be sensible, she told herself. If you kill her, you're out of this, and K'Larkh won't exactly be pleased. If you get killed, well, what happens then is just a bit obvious. So she waited where she was.

Posted By: SirJill Jul 25, 2004 - 02:50 pm

Rowena smirked to herself and muttered "So there." quietly to herself. She looked up at Judith with mockingly raised eyebrows. "I'd rather not have you stab me in the back so lets get on with it. This needs to be settled now."

Posted By: ForeverZero Jul 25, 2004 - 02:52 pm

My, my, Phantom thought, these travelers sure don't get along well. A Necromancer about to cast a spell, as he saw from the flicker in his soul, two women about to kill eachother... Phantom wondered if they would actually lead him far enough to get where he was going. As things were going now, they would all kill eachother before they even reached the halfway point. If even the Necromancer was impusive enough to act in such a manner, he questioned how far they would actually get. Perhaps he would be better off finding the Tomb on his own.

He decided to rejoin the group. He leapt down cliffs and hills and ran next to the nearest horse--which unfortunately happened to be Jacatour's--and ran at a pace that made his legs seem to blur, keeping a pace that rivaled the fastest of the horses in the group.

He said not a word, but could see the reactions in their souls as they watched him keep pace without a horse of his own. It was a thing that could only have resulted from his training in the art of Heaven and Hell.

And no doubt, Shadow was still watching and following close by. If he was a fellow student of his Sensei, he would have no problems following undetected. Even Phantom, who strained to push his sight to see as far as where Shadow followed, could barely pick up his location.

He wondered why Shadow had revealed himself now, and wondered even more so what exactly his intentions were. Even a warrior of the same art wouldn't just help another without motive.

Posted By: Magus Jul 25, 2004 - 03:49 pm

Jacatour was hardly surprised when Phantom lept from the cliffs. He was capable of it and his conversation had appeared over with. He was, however; impressed with him keeping pace with the horses.

This man, he thought, his a worthy one. He may not be the most trustworthy but he certainly isn't the least. I could grow accustomed to travel with such a man. He certainly could be relied upon to be a trusty sword at hand. But the conversation earlier... he couldn't go soft on this man. He couldn't risk it for the whole.

Jacatour strained his senses. He couldn't detect the presence of the other individual. Only every now and then he'd catch a glimer a scent and sound, but no more. He would dissappear as soon as arrived. But he did sense something else. The scent and sounds so like his own. Somewhere in their midst Yissam Snizwatt followed. He was sure of it. Out came his swords. If attacked he'd be ready.

Shabel-Grah saw the glimmer in Jacatour's eye and the way he drew forth his furies. It could only mean that his half-brother was near. He prepared a spell, not the simple sleeping spell he had tried before. He was readying his most powerful fire spells. Black flames would erupt if Yissam showed himself. If only he had the senses of a half-orc, of a roalc. Maybe then he could know where to aim. He was shooting blindly, Jacatour only half so. The others were oblivious. Hopefully Yissam was just watching, but even that was too unsettling to bear.

Posted By: Neurolanis Jul 25, 2004 - 05:39 pm

Hashin was concerned over the ladies' bitterness with eachother, but when he saw Jacatour's abstraction he turned to face the bushes where he heard someone quietly stirring. Only it wasn't Human, or Human-like.

"Ready your arrows," whispered Rathsarann to his men.

Posted By: Neurolanis Jul 25, 2004 - 05:52 pm

Hashin turned back to the two women as Rathsarann moved ahead to check out the noise. "Rowena, Judith," he said, coming between them. "Your arguing is about nothing. It's just on the heat of the moment. Please, we can't go killing eachother. We have to stick together. I'll stand between you to my death if you make me."

Posted By: SirJill Jul 25, 2004 - 06:14 pm

Rowena collapsed onto her knees, her head cradled in her hands, eyes losing their amber flecks. She began speaking quickly, frantically.

"Find Phantom and bring him here, then get Shabel to keep Gregory from doing anything magical. I can't control him. Not for much lon--" She shivered and stood up, the amber returning to her eyes. And she chuckled, just a little.

"Sneaky little dog. I figured she'd break though sooner or later. Of course now the damage is done." She shrugged, "But I can fix all that."

She held out both hands and fire blossomed in both.

Posted By: ForeverZero Jul 25, 2004 - 09:13 pm

Phantom had never seen such a thing before. Her soul had disappeared, and the one overlapping it--which Phantom could see only ever so slightly--glowed and shined with a blinding brilliance. The hands were shining brightest of all; she was harnessing magic. Phantom could feel the atmosphere heat up.

Yet, this new soul seemed to be soul in form only... it possessed the girl's body, and thus would have to have been full soul andnothing else. A possession of sorts.

No. He couldn't do it now. The forbidden chant was a thing only reserved for emergencies, and took an enormous toll on the user. But wasn't this an emergency?

Even so, he put the girl in danger just as much as the other soul. He couldn't. If it went out of control he would risk the eradication of all souls in the area. He highly doubted he could get to the Tomb of Orceth with the aid of a party of mindless drones.

Surely others could see the hesitation in him now. It was as clear as day, and Phantom was usually able to hide such emotions with ease. He had spent his entire life destroying them.

Besides, this was one of the reasons the Blade of Heaven and Hell was outlawed. It caused too much harm. Too much destruction. It wasn't just a martial art, or a series of customs to follow. It was a strenuous art that allowed one to harness his own soul as an ethereal weapon. An aura of sorts. Most called it Chi, but Phantom was one of the few who knew what it actually did.

He waited in indecision, wondering if he should invoke the chant or not.

Posted By: Esioul Jul 26, 2004 - 12:59 am

"Do whatever you have to do" said Judith unhappily. This was probably time to postpone less important matters, such as her own fights. She gripped her sword, ready, and hoped it would be some use. "I don't want to die quite yet" she said.

Posted By: Magus Jul 26, 2004 - 04:04 am

A hollow voice echoed through the mountains. They cresendoed their vibrato until it was all that was heard. That voice was Shabel-Grah's.

"ALEA VERO VERO ANA CORTAE MALEA!"

A ribon of golden light flew out of Shabel-Grah's hands. They met the flames of Rowena and they were nutrized. He began casting a second spell.

"ALEA-ALEA, ANYA-ANYA, VERO-VERO, MEA-MEA!"

He was off of his horse. tendtils of lith tongues of flame encrircled his body. They rotated constatly. They would attatch to him in their ascent and the break off.

His hair flowed angry in a wind that had sprung forth from the ground around his feet, also the result of his magic. His eyes glowed with the reflection of the hall-fire. His voice blared with his own fire. It burned like hell.

"Do not tempt me to suffer you this fire! I wield it like a sword of righteous truth! I warn you NOT to mistake my KINDNESS for WEEKNESS! I will send you into obliveon if that's what you desire! Leave her body! Go back into the night's shadows!"

Posted By: Neurolanis Jul 26, 2004 - 04:31 am

Rathsarann turned back from the bush, approaching Jacatour. "The creature is gone," said Rathsarann. "Ah, it could have been anything."

Posted By: Magus Jul 26, 2004 - 04:38 am

"Annoying? It would have been much worse then that. eu are also wrong. He's not gone. He's around here somewhere, I can catch his scent. He's hiding, biding his time. Ye be on yon guard from now on. He doesn't want to kill me, just to turn me. He'll go as far as killing everyone here just to do it too, he's done it before anf he's got no reservation to not do it again."

Shabel-Grah stared down at Rowena's form. He waoted for a reply, that cold steely stare, so different from the nature he had shown throughout the journey, marking his face.

Posted By: Neurolanis Jul 26, 2004 - 05:13 am

"And you've brought us all into danger," said Rathsarann. "I knew there was something about you. What calamity have we set ourselves upon to endure for following the likes of you?"

Posted By: Magus Jul 26, 2004 - 05:25 am

Jacatour gritted his teeth and rage burned in his eye. Why do these fools persist in these worthless banterings.

"Just look over there!" Jacatour shouted, motioning towards Shabel-Grah. "Look at him. Just look at him! Can you honestly say that you do not believe that we couldn't protect you? Is that something you can say in sooth? And besides, aren't you all supposed to be these great warriors? Didn't you volenteer? Here I though I was in a company of men. Turns out to be a fellowship of cowards and gutter trash."

Posted By: Esioul Jul 26, 2004 - 05:53 am

"Sorry, darling. This really can't be a company of men, not with me in it. And when did I ever say I wasn't gutter trash, and a coward, of course?" said Judith.

Posted By: Magus Jul 26, 2004 - 06:04 am

Jacatour gave her a foul look. Political correctness was never the half-orc's strong suit. Meanwhile the fire raged on in Shabel-Grah's eyes.

Posted By: Neurolanis Jul 26, 2004 - 06:28 am

"I'll meet any challenge," said Hashin. "Whatever danger that meets us I will meet it head on."

"I don't like your attitude," Rathsarann said to Jacatour, then looking to the others. "Why do we allow this foul domineer to journey with us? I don't think I trust the look of 'im. Not the look of an educated man."

Posted By: Magus Jul 26, 2004 - 06:40 am

Rage glared as Jacatour's eyes frosted over crimson. Fury flew out of his voice like a sparrow fleeing from the crack of a whip.

"I have been educated in ways you never will be! I have PRACTICAL training, and practical knowledge! Besideds, you all have more of a reason to trust myself then to trust this mongrel hound! I heard your earlier conversation! 'A link to the past', 'a civil war', your mission which places all of us in harm's way and the rest of us knowing none of this! Who are you to talk about trust!?"

Posted By: Esioul Jul 26, 2004 - 07:38 am

Judith decided this was going to far. "Calm down. I think Rathsarann has a point. You do have an attitude problem"

Posted By: Magus Jul 26, 2004 - 08:08 am

Jacatour glared at her fiercly. He glared long and hard. Dropping the whole thing right now was for the best. Amputate the hand to save the arm from infection, so the saying went. Minimize damage. Besides, there was Shabel-Grah's stand-off to worry about... and Yissam Snizwatt.
Neurolanis
Resident Author
Resident Author

Postby Neurolanis » Thu Apr 14, 2005 8:07 am

Posted By: Neurolanis Jul 26, 2004 - 08:45 am

"Lets just focus on the task at hand," suggested Hashin, turning to Shabel-Grah. "What do we do? Move on, or investigate the presence which Jacatour senses?"

Posted By: Magus Jul 26, 2004 - 09:04 am

Shabel-Grah looked at Hashin, not in that steely fiery glare, but in a thoughtful glance, more as was his wont. He thought for several moments and then answered.

"We move on. Yissam will not be revealed unless he does it himself. He will also follow us. Be on your guard, but worry not. Sneak attacks aren't his style. Everyone will know ere his arrival."

Shabel-Grah remounted his horse and lead on, plodding on that old nag. He waited for the rest to follow. Jacatour was the first.

Posted By: SirJill Jul 26, 2004 - 09:39 am

Rowena's body was still sitting on the ground, shivering. Inside the two souls were fighting desperately for control. Her eyes flickered from brown, to amber-flecked and back again at such an alarming rate that it looked as if there was nothing in her eyes at all.

Finally she stood up and shook herself and then remounted the horse, not saying anything. She followed behind the group for a few minutes until she rode up behind Judith. Rowena watched the other woman for a second and then opened her mouth to speak. Before she could a violent shudder wracked her body and she rapidly dropped back, gripping her reins until her knuckles were white.

Posted By: ForeverZero Jul 26, 2004 - 10:51 am

"Shabel, your are not very thorough," Phantom stated. He had to do it, but only mildly. Shabel-Grah had taken care of the danger of exerting too much force in the chant.

Phantom quickly grabbed the girl and placed heron the ground, off of her horse. She struggled a bit, but then lay still on the ground.

"I trust you all have decent oneness with your souls. If you don't, I suggest you move far away, right now."

At that, Phantom put his feet together, stood up tall, and hald his arms out as if he were to be crucified. He then closed them in a circle, and he seemed to struggle, as if straining to compress a blot of energy that couldn't be seen. Soon his hands were in a mditative position.

"Shirash eisiyah en kiash tieya..." the chant began.

The atmosphere seemed to darken, and a low otherworldly sound reverbertated through the clearing.

The chant echoed with the spirits: Shirash eisiyah en kiash tieya...

Soon the clearing was distorted, rippling and bending, as if simultaneously trying to be sucked into Phantom's being and trying to stay in its normal state.

Soon the chant was in full effect. Phantom hoped they all could resist it.

The souls in front of Phantom, of the girl and the other, had stopped battling with eachother. Probably because Phantom was now in the other soul's territory. He acted through his own soul now, not just his body. He would have a chat with this other soul while the girl regained control of herself.

"So, wizard. If I may call you that. What do you call yourself, exactly? Surely you have a name."

Shirash eisiyah en kiash tieya the spirits echoed...

Posted By: SirJill Jul 26, 2004 - 02:08 pm

Gregory was startled to feel the other spirit in his domain. He was surprised when it was that man, Phantom. He knew from previous expierence in watching him that this man was dangerous. This was something that scared him more than he could say. So when Phantom spoke to him he held up his bravdo.

"Have they put another in?" He asked, "I'm surprised Rowena was picked. She's much to wild, though with two of us we ought to be able to keep her busy. Although...truely I am surprised."

Posted By: Neurolanis Jul 26, 2004 - 05:29 pm

**Beside the red Lake of Laurna. Early evening. The road becomes a four-way intersection.**

Riding their way came a band of merchants, mostly Human. These gave the riders strange looks as they passed by. Indeed Hashin and the others were an odd-looking bunch.

Hashin turned round, watching one of the bald riders from behind. "Khulsar," he whispered.

Rathsarann turned sharply to Hashin with a bitter look. "What nonsense do you speak, boy?"

"I knew him is all," said Hashin, quietly. "In a past life."

"Right," replied Rathsarann with cold sarcasm.

"He was a king...I don't remember where. This is obviously a sign."

"A sign of what?" inquired Rathsarann.

"I'm not sure. In a past life he had me hung for petty theft. Here again we cross paths. It can't be a good sign."

"You're spooking me out," said Rathsarann. "You're no mere mage, are you boy?"

"Boy? I'm better than my age," replied Hashin. "I'm a shaman."

"A shaman? Dreammaster? King of the Dead? You? If you are a healer than prove it." He pulled back his sleeve, revealing an old scar. Hashin reached ahead, and without aid of chant or powder healed the scar with his own hand. Something had, at last, impressed Rathsarann. In fact, he was speechless.

Hashin got off his horse, tying a cord around a tree, and to the reigns. "This is a good spot to rest. The energy here is positive."

Posted By: Magus Jul 26, 2004 - 08:18 pm

Shabel-Grah had spied that little trick of Hashin's. Rathsarann was not the only one impressed. Shabel-Grah himself, more than an apt cleric, a •••••• fine one at that, required nothing short of a spell to heal. Even scrolls required a chant of sorts. Healing on a whim was a rare and powerful gift. His intuition on bringing the boy along had paid off. If left to Jacatour the boy would have had to slink along in the shadows on their heels. Fortunately he was spared that expense. He would be a powerful ally, not, of course, that this made Jacatour trust the lad any more. Indeed, if anything, he trusted him all the less.

Shabel-Grah dismounted his horse, the others following his example. He walked over to the lake and Jacatour followed. The water seemed cool and clear. Thomas confirmed this by hopping in. Rabbits, contrary to poular belief, are excellent swimmers.

"How goes the course?" Questioned the half-orc.

He assumed that nobody was withing earshot. But many in their party could, and would, undoubtably listen in on the conversation. That assassin, or the elf, or even the healer were more than capable. He also couldn't forget the girls.

"The map holds true. We hold to the course, Jacatour, we just hold true and it will lead us true."

The sun began to bed the unseen sky. The sky shone beautiful hues of gold, amber, scarlet and lilac. It was a spectrum constantly shifting and dimming into blackness. Some of the early risen stars could be seen waking into the night's sky. The lake reflected such colors and hues, magnifying them tenfold.

They held their palavar here. Jacatour told Shabel-Grah all that he had overheard in the day's coarse. He knew that the necromatic cleric was wise beyond him and better able to discern conclusions from the information. The sky shifted to midnight blue, and then into black. The cresent moon rose, casting a pale and dim glow across the land. Jacatour could here it, Shabel-Grah could sense it. Yissam Snizwatt was more than just near. He was as a tiger. He was preparing to pounce.

Posted By: ForeverZero Jul 26, 2004 - 08:27 pm

"Hmm... well," Phantom spoke though his soul, "I suppose our chat will have to wait until later. It seems you've lost control for now. Be seein' you."

At that, his soul returned to his body, and the dark, distorted atmosphwere seemed to stretch back into place with such abruption and force that it cause a short bursting wind to emerge from where Phantom stood.

He returned to a normal stance as the chant echoes faded into the distance.

"I suppose you all know by now what I am capable of. I do not intend to do that on a regular basis, however. I have other things at my disposal. This was just a situational event," Phantom said, staring at the girl. Her soul was now brighter than the other, but not by much.

"Remember what I did here on this day," Phantom told everyone. "The Blade of Heaven and Hell is not an art to be trifled with."

Posted By: Neurolanis Jul 27, 2004 - 05:18 am

Hashin grinned to himself. Phantom's tricks didn't seem all that new to him.

Rathsarann seemed a bit agitated by Phantom's abilities however, but made no comment. He walked to his followers once their horses were tied. "Our supplies run low, go and see if you can get some meat."

"Aye," came his men, who proceeded into the bush with wide bows. Rathsarann sat upon the grass, resting his head against a rock. Few would find that comfortable. He seemed at peace, in his own darkly way.

Posted By: SirJill Jul 27, 2004 - 08:54 am

Rowena practically fell off her horse and crawled shakily to a tree, grasping at it for dear life when she arrived. She leaned against it for a few moments with her eyes shut, Phantom's words echoing in her mind, "The Blade of Heaven and Hell is not an art to be trifled with."

Inside her she could tell Gregory was shaken. Through him she knew Phantom had done something to enter the spirit world and they had conversed. Strangely she couldn't tell what he'd said. Whatever it was, or perhaps it was just his presence, had scared Gregory out of his wits.

What did he say to you?

Nothing much.

Right. You know I could just ask him. And it would be so much easier and manipulative for you to tell me.

You're getting to be quite the fiend, Rowena.

You know the cause of that. Now tell me.

No.

Tell me or I'll ask Phantom himself!

A thrill of fear ran though her and she smiled a little. At last he'd taken her seriously.

He told me to leave. I have obviously done so. Are you happy?

No. You know him don't you?

I know only of his art. The students of it were forbidden to practice and I was--startled when he appeared.

You were a bit more than that.

Another shudder ran though her body and she flinched in pain. Angrily she stood and walked around the tree several times, thinking in her own mind, for once alone. I hate this! I feel so weak, like there's nothing I can do for this journey. I've only caused trouble and that's something that they definately don't need. I'm only slowing them down.

Posted By: Neurolanis Jul 27, 2004 - 09:15 am

"You're fine," spoke Hashin. He was suddenly behind her. Had he heard her thoughts, or guessed them? He reached into his left cloak pocket, and handed her a little black bag. Inside were little soft purple leaves. "These will help you to sleep, and regain much of your strength. Just chew on them, try not to swallow. How long have you suffered from this affliction?"

Posted By: SirJill Jul 27, 2004 - 09:53 am

Rowena took the bag but a hand went unconsciously to her temples. "I'm sorry." She muttered. "I didn't mean to shove--" She stopped suddenly and then let out her breath in one long stream. "I didn't mean to shove you off your horse, or try or..." She shook her head, "It's not an affliction, it's, well," A small smile crossed her mouth, "I don't know what it is."

Gregory's laughter echoed inside her head.

You're messing this up!!

Posted By: Neurolanis Jul 27, 2004 - 11:29 am

Hashin was very open-minded and understanding. His territory was the unconsciousness, after all. He felt the power that Gregory gave Rowena, but he also felt the energy that he was taking away. He had the power remove the mage spirit from her, but he wasn't sure that was what Rowena really wanted.

Despite all Hashin's "innersight" and abilities, he was on the surface a simple country fellow, if somewhat eccentric. This made his character complex and easily misread. Modesty was his way of life, yet he could battle with the best of them. He smiled warmly yet shyly to Rowena, and then walked back to his horse, petting her as her tail wagged. He seemed to be communicating with her through his mind.

Posted By: SirJill Jul 27, 2004 - 11:44 am

Rowena leaned back against the tree, the black bag still in her hand. She slid down the tree and began chewing one, her head in her hands, still in silent conversation with Gregory. After a few moments she got up and began to walk around the tree again, trailing a hand behind her on the bark her eyes on the ground. She was still chewing the leaves unconsciously.

Posted By: Magus Jul 27, 2004 - 11:53 am

"Stay keen everyone." Shabel-Grah announced to the rest of the fellowship. "Troubles afoot. Ready yourself for battle. We've been surrounded by a band of orcs. And beware, they are nothing to trifle with, they are elites."

Shabel-Grah drew his dagger and began a simple chant of enhancement. Immediately powers coarsed through his body. Hie pupils dilated, letting in extra light. His ears sharpened and his muscles buldged against his cloak.

Jacatour swiftly drew his blades and held them in the fasion of the nomads of Kazzira. They were both low and outstreatched, making him look something like a cross who's arms are wilting.

He knew what would happen. The elites would go for the others. Yissam Snizwatt, the gods •••••• high general of the western orcish hordes, would go for him.

Posted By: SirJill Jul 27, 2004 - 12:13 pm

Rowena, hearing Shabel-Grah, shoved the black satchel into her belt and leaped into the tree she had been pacing around. She pulled the dirk out of her boot and peered through the leaves, looking for an enemy. On seeing no immediate threat she spat out the chewed leaf onto the tree branch and replaced it with another.

Posted By: Magus Jul 27, 2004 - 12:31 pm

Yissam new now that his cover was broken, for he had undoubtably heard what mere humans could. The attack began.

In the distance a bush rustled. A moment later it was gone. To the South the same happened, only to likewise diasappear. All the other bushes rustled and then fell silent. Rustle, fall silent, rustle, fall silent. Then they came.

From the bushes they sprang. Terrable and hideous they were, the Orcish horde. They were tall, no less then seven feet tall but most were much more. Their eyes were pupilless crimson sockets. Their teeth were yellow blades of steel. Their bodies were devoid of hair altogether. Their skin was a putrid green and they wore smirks of sinister delight on their faces.

Many wore rings about them, nose rings and earings of cold steel. They wore thick armor across their bodies and they wielded swords in perfect condition. The steel on their weapons was black as the night and their shields were likewise. As feared they went for the others.

The waters stilled no longers. A great underwater wave grew nigh upon Jacatour. From the merky waters came forth the most terrable of all the orcs.

He stood at nine feet four inches tall. His body was sleek and muscular. His teath were a charcoal ivory and his eyes indeed had their pupils, buth they were crimson as the rest. He wore armored leggings, gauntlets, body armor, boots, but no shield or helmet. He held aloft his gianbt of a sword. It was shaped as a fang, as indeed it was carved out of a giagntic dragon tooth. Any man worth his salt would still be forced to lift with two hand, if indeed lift it they could. He held it with a single hand was any other man could hold a wooden stick. This was Yissam Snizwatt.

"So brother," His dark and foul voice spoke with sinister melevolance "Here I find you, in the company of others. I do hope you've considered my proposition. I ask only out of my love and compasion for you." His hateful voice echoed for all to hear. He laughed as would a hiena, echoeing loud and terrable.

Jacatour gritted his teeth together. Hatred and rage filled his body. His arms quivered, eager to rip him in two. He deserved no less for what he did. He deserved no less for what he did to beloved Aliandra.

Posted By: Neurolanis Jul 27, 2004 - 12:32 pm

Rathsarann rushed to his feet, unsheathing his silvery longsword. It was a sleek gentleman's sword. He looked sharply about for his unders, but they hadn't yet returned. He took his place beside Shabel-Grah.

Hashin looked about, but did not act in haste. He seemed to listen to the wind, and although he felt a danger approach he wasn't fearful.

Posted By: Magus Jul 27, 2004 - 12:37 pm

"No, these are not thieves. They come for Jacatour. That yonder is his brother. He murdered his wife and seeks for him to join him. This is why we waited for him earlier, he was searching for Yissam. These other Orcs are his company of soldiers. They are meant merely to keep us busy so that those two can be left alone." Shabel-Grah spoke in hushed tones.

"ALAE ALAE VEERO!" One Orc imploded as the spell was cast.

"ALEA ALEA ROVEERA!" Another Orc exploded, his innerds decorated the others. Still they came, like harbringers of their doom the charged onward like the army of hell.

He threw his knife, which embedded itself deep in the shoulder of one Orc. It immediately dissapeared and reapeered in his hand. That one lived still.

Posted By: SirJill Jul 27, 2004 - 12:45 pm

Rowena swore silently.

You see that?

You're expecting me to take out all of them?

How many at worst? This is not a good time to mess with me, Gregory.

But it's--

"------ Gregory!" she shreiked out loud. I'll just handle them myself.

You'll kill both of us.

Then give me your magic.

Give me control.

It's my body!!

It's mine too.
Neurolanis
Resident Author
Resident Author

Postby Neurolanis » Thu Apr 14, 2005 8:08 am

Posted By: Magus Jul 27, 2004 - 12:51 pm

The orcs were upon them, more than on hundred by Shabel-Grah's quick count. These were more than what survived the battle prior. Yissam must have been doing some recruiting. At least most of the new ones weren't worth their salt. They were thieves and raiders, not soldiers. Shabel-Grah knew what he had to do. He couldn't interrupt Jacatour, he knew too well that it would be unwise to do. Besides, we all have our cross to bear. Yissam Snizwatt was Jacatour's.

Posted By: SirJill Jul 27, 2004 - 12:55 pm

Look, how long do we have until someone sees me in this tree?

Not long by the looks of it. Someone's bound to notice you.

Gregory, you could make this so much easier.

As could you.

Give me the magic.

Alright, you want the truth?

----. What is it?

I'm the only one who can control it. I'm the only one who can use it. You HAVE to give me control.

"----." Rowena used a stronger word this time.

Posted By: Magus Jul 27, 2004 - 03:45 pm

Jacatour flew at his cursed brother. He drew the sword up from their position and simultaniously slashed with both. Yissam dodged this with ease.

Jacatour flew again striking with his left and his right. Left, right, left, right, left-right-left!

All of these were dodged. Jacatour's rage only increased. His hands and knuckles grew white from gripping his blades.

Jacatour lept into the air. His blades glowed with his inner raging fire. He came down and the blades devoured the very rock from the ground, but not Yissam. Now it was Yissam's turn to take wing.

He swung with his mighty sword into the air. The very force of the blow sent Jacatour realing. He used this to his advantage. He ran at him and swun with his pommel. He contacted at Jacatour's chest.

Pain sore through Jacatour. It devoured his concentration. He heard the cracking of bones. Two or more ribs were now broken. But he felt the pain in his heart.

Posted By: SirJill Jul 27, 2004 - 03:50 pm

Rowena watched in dismay as Jacatour was...well, it looked as if he was being crushed to death.

You wouldn't save him would you?

No. I owe him nothing.

Figures.

There was a pause as if he could sense what she was about to do. Don't do anything stupid, Rowena. Don't get us killed.

Me killed. She corrected and hopped out of the tree.

"Hey! Fart-face!" She yelled at Yissam.

Posted By: Magus Jul 27, 2004 - 03:55 pm

Pathetic, Yissam thought. A human seeks to distract me now.

"Jacatour, the company you keep." Yissam mocked. "If your little whelp over there doesn't quiet up I'll cut out her tongue, and you know I will. I expected more of you. To take on human aid! Shabel-Grah was one thing, he is of a nobler race. But these human whelps of yours! I have far more work ahead of me if I mean to change you and your ways."

Jacatour struggled to get to his feet. The pain was unbelievable but bearable as long as he focussed on Yissams face. He planned on crushing in his skull after he severed it from his body.

Again he charge and swung. Missed again, he did. He lunged at Yissams waist and, in anticipation with his move to the left, turned his blade at the last second. This time he cut a fine gash in his brother's side. A small victory.

Yissam looked at his side, deciding his brother had learned a thing or two since he saw him last. The wound was the best one his brother had inflicted on him so far in their relationship. Unfortunately for Jacatour it was miner, but it was a start.

Posted By: SirJill Jul 27, 2004 - 04:00 pm

Rowena drew her sword and made a run at Yissam swinging it over her head and making as if to widen Jacatour's gash in his side.

Posted By: Magus Jul 27, 2004 - 04:07 pm

Yissam glanced to his right. He saw that mad girl with the serpentine tongue.

"Are you accepting human aid? How can your pride allow this. You may be only a Half-Orc but Orc blood you still have!"

Jacatour saw Rowena running wildly for them. He thought back. This was how Aliandra had looked before... before...

Jacatour didn't have the time to finish his thoughts for Yissam had lept towards Rowena already. Dispite his injuries Jacatour lept forward. He stopped the blow that would have surely killed the woman. Unfortunately it might very well kill him.

H large gash now appeared in Jacatour's back. It bled profusely and was a poisonous looking this. It stretched the entire length of his back and was at least three inches wide and one inch deep. How he maintained conciousness even he didn't know. He held onto it barely though, only enough to speak to words in a horse whisper.

"Run... Rowena."

Jacatour lost conciousness. He lay as if dead.

Posted By: Magus Jul 27, 2004 - 04:11 pm

Yissam stared at Jacatour. A confused look dawned on his face.

"You would sacrafice yourself for this human girl. You know her not and yet you would pay with your life to have her live."

He puzzled over the dying body of his brother. Finally he found the words to speak.

"Even I must acknowledge this valliant act. I shall take my leave. Your friends can kill off the rest of those stupid mountain orcs. At least they are none of my own, only stupid enough to blindly follow. Farewell girl. Next time my brother may not be quick enough to save you."

Yissam lept into the air and landed on the other side of the lake. His form melted into the shadow as he lept away from the battle.

Posted By: SirJill Jul 27, 2004 - 04:11 pm

Rowena looked up at Yissam and fled. Not literally, but mentally. She fled back into the dormant postion, practically forcing him into control. He had no choice but to defend them.

Gregory shook his head and releasted his magic, letting it thunder around the clearing. He had not formed it into any specific spell yet, but the display of power was quite impressive.

If there were any orcs that hadn't left with Yissam they probably would have peed themselves.

Gregory! You know what I want! Please! Rowena screamed desperately.

Gregory turned their eyes toward Jacatour and thought for a moment. There will be a condition.

What? Tell me--

I'll heal him and then retreat. You let me have control the next time I ask.

Done.

Rowena stalked over to where Jacatour was lying and knelt next to him. Fiery magic poured from her fingers, leaping over the wound in his back. Her mouth was furrowed in concentration as she worked.

Posted By: Magus Jul 27, 2004 - 04:52 pm

Jacatour was basked in warm sunlight. The morn threw its rays onto the glorious meadow. He walked across it with much delight. He was giddy and excited, like a schoolboy is before classes let out. The fresh fragrence of lilacs hung in the air. Only a single white fluffy cloud dared to marr the sky with its presence.

The air was cool. A crossbreaze flew in from the Northwest, he was walking to the West. The land began to meld into long sloping hills of green grass and colorful blooms. Small puffs of chimney smoke puffed in the distance. That was where Jacatour was headed.

Posted By: SirJill Jul 27, 2004 - 05:00 pm

Rowena poured more magic into Jacatour's body, still reconstructing the damage. Finally she sank back.

What are you doing? He's still bleeding.

And he will for a while. That's all you get. He began to withdraw.

Wait! What should I do?

I'll guide you. His tone was resigned as he slipped back into the dormant position.

Rowena blinked and looked down at Jacatour. What should I do?

Pack the wound. Bind it tightly and try to keep the bleeding low.

Alright. She got up and hurried to where her pack was, under neath the tree and rummaged inside it, comeing up with a few strips of cloth just for this purpose.

Will this be enough?

You'll have to make it do.

She went back over to him and quickly began binding up the wounds with skill that she didn't remember ever having.

Posted By: Neurolanis Jul 27, 2004 - 05:00 pm

Orcs came running out from behind them, from the thicket.

Rathsarann fought like a coward, darting out of the way and fighting only two Orcs that came for him. Not far away Hashin had fought bravely, killing a good dozen. He turned to see an Orc holding Rathsarann down, they both struggling for control of the axe. Hashin ran to them, and beheaded the Orc from behind. He helped Rathsarann to his feet.

"Thanks," gasped Rathsarann, his eyes stunned.

"Don't mention it," said Hashin. Despite the young man's lack of muscle and aggression, he was a great warrior. He had an energy, innovation and accuracy that Rathsarann had never seen.

Dozens of Orcs raced for them, but soon they started falling with arrows in their backs. The other Klundors had returned, cloaked by the bush, firing their arrows like a fiery rain.

Posted By: Magus Jul 27, 2004 - 05:08 pm

"...MACHEA REA VERO!" Another Orc burst into brilliant white flames and smothered into ash. He caught three near him aflame, who also smothered awat in the wind.

There were fewer and fewer orcs all the time. Now there were less then fifty. They were, not a one of them, a member of Yissam's squad. Shabel-Grah turned to another Orc who bore upon him. Too late for a spell.

He dodge to the side, suffering only a scratch in the process. He plunged the dagger into the Orc's chest. Blood flowed from it and slowly he died. If he could kill one of them in hand-to-hand combat then these were poor excuses for Orcs indeed.

"ALEA RAE..."

Posted By: SirJill Jul 27, 2004 - 05:14 pm

Rowena finished with Jacatour and dragged him to a place where he wouldn't get stomped on, crushed or otherwise injured. She whipped off her cloak and dumped it over him, drawing her sword and beheading a passing orc.

"And I thought they would leave with Yissam." She muttered to herself, leaping further into the fray.

Posted By: Magus Jul 27, 2004 - 05:22 pm

Jacatour started over the hill. It was not steep at all. It was as gentle as a lamb and curved like a fine woman. The grass was cool beneath his feet, moist from the morning dew. Butterflies fluttered in the air and bees passed from flower to flower, not bothering with the Half-Orc.

Jacatour was calm and relaxed, centered might be a fine way to describe the way he felt, but even that stopped short. For the first time in a long while he felt... free. He felt happy and free from the burdens life had placed on his shoulders.

Posted By: Neurolanis Jul 27, 2004 - 05:22 pm

Hashin ran wildly into the center of the Orcs, waving his sword around like a spiraling flash of lightning.

The Klundors came running out as a group, violently assaulting the Orcs with arrows until a good dozen Orcs came running for them. Primtah drew his sword, followed by the other four. "ATTACK!" They met the Orcs strait on. Rathsarann took on a mightier stance now that his unders were there. Also, they kept the enemy distracted. He ran out in the open, looking for Hashin.

Few Orcs were left.

Posted By: SirJill Jul 27, 2004 - 05:31 pm

Rowena left Jacatour and beheaded another orc, only just ducking and Klundor arrow. "They ought to be more careful with those things," she muttered to herself. Pulling her dirk she stabbed a passing orc in the thigh. It crumpled and she finished it off with her sword. She looked around for others and saw everyone except Hashin. Swearing, she moved through the crowd of Orcs, leaving a bloody trail in her wake.

Posted By: Magus Jul 27, 2004 - 05:40 pm

Jacatour past the hill. He now looked down from it onto a small clearing. A cozy cottage of red brick and mohagoney wood looked up at him, puffing away charcoal smoke from its chimney. The door was painted and inviting green and the windows showed glimpses of equally cozy furnature made of wood and animal skins.

Sheep stay penned in a small are fenced in with white pickets. Several goats were in another. Chickens clucked as they ran around the farm, eating what seeds they could come upon. Seven pigs slopped around in their stys.

This caused Jacatour to smile fully. This had been his home. This WAS his home. The home he had once shared with... her...

The door opened and light shone from within like a heavenly glow. Basking in Heavan's radiance was... her.

Aliandra the Fair.

Posted By: ForeverZero Jul 27, 2004 - 10:01 pm

Phantom saw the attack, and has said not a word. Four or five of them were attacking him, even, but with the grace of a dancer, the speed of an arrow, and the movement of a snake, Phantom dodged every blow. Soon they became frusterated, swining wildly at him, but they could not touch him.

As one of the left himself open, Phantom finally drew his knives and slices several gashes in it within a matter of seconds. It fell to thr ground, now a bloody, gashed corpse. He then stood calmly, the others staring at him with rage. About thirty of them were left, Shabel-Grah casting magic to destory most of them.

But Phantom didn't have time for this. He could use his art, once again. After all, he could send his body into the spectral realm, but he could also send his soul into the material realm. An aura of chaos and descruction. His own soul, an aura of burning damnation.

But as he performe dhis movements, he was startled by the scene before him. All of the Orcs, literally all of them, suddenly exploded in flashes of blood, all of them losing their head, or an appendage of sorts. In a very second, they all fell to pieces, and a swift whirring sound flew through the air, zipping and whistling as it returned to the origin: Shadow.

His hands were in some sort of odd position, in a caw-like formtion but far apat and at odd angles. Through the glint of the sunlight, Phantom could see that an array of string was twined about his claws.

Phantom had never thought he would see a master of Angel Hair. It was revered as perhaps the hardest form of weapon to master. And Shadow had torn apart over twenty Orcs with it.

"Angel Hair!?" Phantom asked, suprised.

The man in the claokand the scarred mask moved his hands about, putting away the string, and stood in a casual stance.

"Sorry to reveal myself, Phantom, but you were about to do something that should not hve been done. You already have pushed your limits," Shadow replied.

"What?" Phantom asked.

"You know what I am talking about. The Forbidden Chant. It is not called that for nothing. Its very execution disrupts the balance of the realm of life and the realm of death."

"Very well. Forgive me, Elder," Phantom bowed. Shadow nodded.

To be honest, Phantom was more suprised at the fact that Shadow was a practitioner of Angel Hair. Very few knew how to make such legendary string, and even fewer knew how to use it. It was truly a rare sight indeed.

Posted By: Esioul Jul 28, 2004 - 01:40 am

Somehow, Judith managed to kill a few orcs. She was sure she didn't like all the blood and gore, but then, she knew she would hate it even more to be killed by an orc Well- at least she had a lot to report back to K'Larkh now. Things that were incriminating for the likes of Rownea, Shabel Grah and Phantom, but very useful to K'larkh and hopefully beneficial to Judith's own purse.
Neurolanis
Resident Author
Resident Author

Postby Neurolanis » Thu Apr 14, 2005 8:11 am

Posted By: Magus Jul 28, 2004 - 05:57 am

Aliandra the Fair.

She was a woman simply too beautiful for this world. Her eyes were a beautiful and mesmerizing gray. Her hair was soft as silk and golden as the sun. It fell down freely, stopping just short of her waist. She wasn't a short woman, but neiter was she tall. Her womplection was like a dark and bronzy cream. She wore a saphire blouse and a forest green skirt that came about her knees. About her neck was a simply necklace which ended in a simple silver medalian fasceted with a small red bauble. She was commonly mistaken at first sight for an elf, but her beauty was entirely human.

Posted By: Magus Jul 28, 2004 - 06:19 am

Shabel-Grah looked down t his feet. There an Orc who had survived the battle struggled to cling to life. His teeth were shattered at there were burn marks all over his body. Shabel-Grah threw down his knife. Moments later it reappeared in his had, reddened with fresh blood. All of the orcs were dead. Now he turned his attention towards the lake, where he still presumed Yissam Snizwatt was duelling Jacatour. They were gone, both of them.

He rushed over to where he had last saw them. So fixed he was on the battle that he didn't see what happaned. He examined the ground around him and he began to see what must have happened.

They were fighting, Yissam and Jacatour. A third party entered. Their tracks stopped short of where Yissam's had, in front of that was a large impression in the earth and thick stains from blood. Yissam had gone after the third party and had hit Jacatour who came to defend them. He was dragged across to... The Tree!

Shabvel-Grah rushed over to the large oak tree. There he found the body of Jacatour covered with what he knew to be Rowena's cloak.

Jacatour looked pale, if pale a Half-Orc could look. His breathing was shallow and swift. He was unconcious but he reeked of fresh blood. It looked as if he broke two - no, three ribs. but that was no reason why he would be in such a state. Seeing no wound criminal on is front, he turned him over on his side.

There was the traitorous injury. It was a monstorously large gash. Somebody, presumably Rowena, had stuffed it with a leaf that grew nearby. It had stopped the bleeding but it still held a poisonous look to it.

"ALEA VOLTRO REA!" Shabel-Grah cast his spell of healing.

Nothing happened. He could sense old magic. Somebody had already healed him. But that poisonous gash was still there after at least two different spells. Jacatour may not survive. But SHabel-Grah had known him a long time. He knew that you could never underestimate the will of the Half-Orc. Jacatour wouldn't die if only for the fact that he was too stubborn to. But he still could simply slip away.

Posted By: SirJill Jul 28, 2004 - 08:58 am

Rowena gasped as an arrow caught her in the shoulder. She shut her eyes against the pain and steadied her breathing before pulling the arrow out. The fresh wave of pain sent her into a sitting position on the ground, gasping and pressing her other hand to her shoulder. She noted though the red mist of pain that it was not her sword arm. Dead lucky.
Really lucky.

She blinked and steadied herself for a moment, looking around. Shabel-Grah was kneeling next to where she had put Jacatour's body. She staggered up and then rapidly sat back down again, her head swimming.

D--- Rathsarann and his archers. That was planned.

Posted By: Magus Jul 28, 2004 - 09:05 am

Jacatour walked as a man cought in some wonderful dream, for indeed this was a wonderful dream that he was caught in. His legs moved without him leading them. All the while his thoughts were focussed on only one thing.

She's alive! Back from the dead, she's alive!

he made his way to her and lost himself in her heavenly embrace. Sweeter then ever. Her scent was sweeter then it had ever once been before. Like Honey and huckleberries, roses, strawberry and cream rolled all into one.

"Aliandra..." The rest of his words were lost as they embraced again. The words didn't matter anyway. He was back. He was home. He was with his beloved wife.

Posted By: Neurolanis Jul 28, 2004 - 11:16 am

Hashin approached Rowena. "That's a nasty bite you have there," he said. Studying the arrow, his eyes grew suspicious. He raised his head. Five Klundors walked near. "This is a Klundorien arrow," he said to them.

"Sorry," said one of the Klundors, simply. He was alomost grinning as he said it.

Hashin turned his head about for Rathsarann. Klundors were often telepathic. Rathsarann could have ordered the 'misfire'.

Posted By: Neurolanis Jul 28, 2004 - 11:18 am

Rathsarann stood near Jacatour, turning to Shabel-Grah. "Aliandra?"

Posted By: Esioul Jul 28, 2004 - 11:25 am

Judith thought, what the hell is going on? She looked at Rathsarann; and suspected the origins of that arrow, but she just shrugged. No point in saying anything- she was meant to be a spectator, as least for the moment.

Posted By: SirJill Jul 28, 2004 - 11:35 am

Rowena looked up at the Klundor who had spoken, "Right. Rathsarann!" She yelled angrily, struggling to stand. Pain shot through her shoulder and she clamped her other hand down harder.
"They were the only ones with arrows, Hashin. Orcs aren't smart enough." She said angrily.

Posted By: Magus Jul 28, 2004 - 11:35 am

Shabel-Grah let out a sigh. While it was not his story to tell, it now must be told. He decided to begin.

"Let me start from the beginning. For all roads of his life lead to Aliandra.

"Jacatour was born not as Rolcs usually do. His mother was raped savagely by an Orc whilst the rest burned down her village with the villagers inside. Nine months later Jacatour was born. Her mother was horrified. She cast him into the Cerrine river... before she hung herself.

"Jacatour was raised by a group of nomadic barbarians till he reached his coming of age. He was then, as was tradition among his people, sent forth into the world to do great valiant deeds. This is when he arrived in a kingdom that he refuses to name.

"The kingdom was in the midst of a war with the neighboring orc tribes. He first went to the humans to aid them. They used him nd took credit for his victories. He decided to go to the Orcs, but they jeered him. Finally he met Aliandra.

"Aliandra was a simple maiden in the kingdom, but her beauty was unsurpassed even by all of the king's wives and concubines. They fell for each other... He married her.

"Eventually Yissam Snizwatt heard tell of him. He knew immediately what was what. Jacatour and he were brothers... half brothers. Their father was one and the same. Unlike Jacatour, however; Yissam was a full bread Orc, general of their armies no less.

"He went to Jacatour's home and called him out. He told him that he must join his own kind. Jacatour refused and a battle ensued. Aliandra awoke and came out to see the noise. Yissam saw his opportunity. He blamed her for traitoring his brother to his lesser half... his human half. He killed her. Then he repeated his offer and left.

"Jacatour roused the armies of man, for he was now an equal, a superior, to all of them. They charged the Orcish armies in one final assault. A terrable battle ensued.

"During the battle Yissam faced off with Jactour again. He told him that he had no choice but to join his kin. He wounded Jacatour fiercely... nothing like this... and left with a band of his greatest warriors.

"The humans won, and Jacatour regined conciousness. Ever since he has been tracking his brother, and Yissam duelly stalking him. Jacatour's out for revenge. Yissam still thinks that he can turn his brother. This is why he attacked tonight, to try and turn him."

Shabel-Grah fell silent. A lone tear trailed down his eye. This was the point where he had met Jacatour. He was searching for Yissam and met Shabel-Grah.

Posted By: Neurolanis Jul 28, 2004 - 11:47 am

"A grim tale, said Rathsarann, dryly. "So, is the freak dead or still a burden to our quest?"

Posted By: SirJill Jul 28, 2004 - 11:52 am

"Rathsarann!" Rowena yelled again. "I want you over her RIGHT now to explain this to me!" Her body began to shudder just a little with the effor of holding herself together and being angry.

Posted By: Magus Jul 28, 2004 - 11:53 am

Shabel-Grah gave Rathsarann a grim and hate filled look. A surge of magical energies coarsed through him and emitted as a powerful gust of wind in all directions. It blasted Rathsarann against the tree. He would live still, unfortunately. Jacatour was right about this one.

"If he's a burden to you then you can leave with your posse back there!" Shabel-Grah spoke in a spiteful howl between his teeth. "Otherwise he is with us till he gives his last life's breath!"

Posted By: SirJill Jul 28, 2004 - 11:59 am

Rowena staggered and nearly fell from the wind Shabel-Grah sent out. She swore and then stumbled toward the tree. She looked down at Rathsarann with disgust.
"I am ---- lucky his archer was off. Shabel, I want something done about this."

Posted By: Magus Jul 28, 2004 - 12:03 pm

The fury still fill Shabel-Grah's eyes. They fell side by side with hot tears now carressing his face.

"Decide Vermin! This is your last chance. If you even cut wind in a way I don't like I'll do much worse then what Yissam did to Jacatour here. I'll bleed your eyes. I'll turn your flesh inside out and remove the organs from your body wilst you still live. Hell will hath no fury to compare me to!"

Posted By: Neurolanis Jul 28, 2004 - 12:05 pm

The Klundors came marching over to Shabel-Grah. They were powerful mages and great warriors -- a force to be reckoned with. "HALT!" yelled Rathsarann, and his men became still. Rathsarann came to his feet without much trouble, surprisingly, although he seemed rather dizzy. He approached Shabel-Grah with a sincere look of apology. "Please forgive my ignorance," he bowed. "I was...caught up in the heat of the moment."

Rathsarann then appraoched Rowena and Hashin. "What happened to you?" He truly did not seem to know. Hashin squinted his eyes with suspicion.

Posted By: Magus Jul 28, 2004 - 12:12 pm

Poisonous spite still filled his eyes. He whispered, almost as if to himself.

"You have been warned once. I shall not do it again."

Posted By: SirJill Jul 28, 2004 - 12:12 pm

"What the ---- do you think happened to me?" Rowena demanded. "This isn't a sword wound. So tell me, what do you think it looks like?"
She pulled her hand away revealing a bloody, messy, icky hole in her arm.

Posted By: Neurolanis Jul 28, 2004 - 12:20 pm

Rathsarann smiled a twisted grin. "I MEANT HOW did this happen to you? I have eyes, Woman. You have your shaman friend here. Why ask me about it?"

"It's a Klundorien arrow," said Hashin.

Rathsarann looked to his men. "Which of you did this?" The youngest raised his hand, coming forward with a little smile on his face. A hard slap sent the man to the ground, staring up at his master like a hurt puppy. "Fool! Show more consideration!" He then turned to Rowena. "I apologise for him. Sincerely." He then left for Shabel-Grah, his unders following behind him.

Hashin turned to Rowena and whispered quietly, "I'm not sure if it was him or not. He's blocking his mind from me." He observed the wound closely. "I believe I can take care of this. It will be sore for a time."

Posted By: SirJill Jul 28, 2004 - 12:25 pm

Rowena nodded to Hashin for a second and then drew her dirk, following Rathsarann. She held it oddly, to the trained eye she was going to brain him with it, not intending to use the blade.

"Rathsarann?" she asked calmly, planning to brain him as soon as he turned around or answered.

Posted By: Neurolanis Jul 28, 2004 - 12:32 pm

"That wouldn't be wise, Little Girl," warned Rathsarann. "I am a skilled warrior, many times your superior. Besides, if you did kill me my men would surely kill you."

Hashin raced for Rowena, holding her back with a surprising strength. "No, Rowena! He's not worth it."
Neurolanis
Resident Author
Resident Author

Postby Neurolanis » Thu Apr 14, 2005 8:13 am

Posted By: SirJill Jul 28, 2004 - 12:37 pm

Rowena twisted out of Hashin's grip and threw the dirk at Rathsarann. If it hit he would only be hit with the pommel end; leaving a very large bump but not killing him. With that she drew back, breathing heavily and then collasped, her eyes fluttering shut in sleep.

Posted By: Neurolanis Jul 28, 2004 - 12:43 pm

Rathsarann ducked. He shook his head tauntingly.

Hashin sat down and placed his right hand upon Rowena's face. She was all right, but had exhausted herself tosleep. Hashin picked her up and layed her down by a tree. "She needs to rest. The leaf power will take hold soon."

Posted By: ForeverZero Jul 28, 2004 - 12:43 pm

"So, what will we do now?" Phantom asked. "They know you're following now. You're in plain sight."

Shadow grased his armored hand across his mask, taking particular interest in tracing the scar stretching across the open visor.

"I suppose I will have to travel with you," he said. Phantom had no quarrels about that, but he knew the others would. Phantom wasn't one to be trusted, and neither was Shadow.

As Shadow looked to the side, that girl had tried to attack the Dark Elf, and had fellen unconscious, but the Dark Elf still held an odd look on his face. As if he knew something. With a quick thrust of his arm, Shadow entwined Angel Hair around the Dark Elf's neck, and would have been grinning if the mask did not hide his face. He did not cut with the string, but with a small movement and a strong pull he would be anle to cut his head off. Unless, of course, he knew how to defend against Angel Hair.

He stepped forward, holding the Angel Hair with a tight grip. "Hold on one moment. I would like to have a little chat with you."

Posted By: SirJill Jul 28, 2004 - 12:55 pm

You don't like him particularly, do you?

Not after he shot me, no.

Us, my dear, us. I do occupy this body as well.

Fine. Us. Does that make you happy?

Somewhat.

What happened to you? You're not normally this sour.

Let us say that Rathsarann is not getting on only your nerves.

You? I'm surprised, Gregory. He's your type.

Do not pride yourself on your wit, Rowena. You were rash to attack him so blatantly.

Well, you don't like him--what would you do?

Posted By: Neurolanis Jul 28, 2004 - 01:00 pm

"Arch!" gasped Rathsarann, feeling an invisable string around his neck. "What...what do you want?"

Posted By: ForeverZero Jul 28, 2004 - 01:01 pm

The Dark Elf stood still as a statue, and Shadow approached him. He held on arm across his chest, keeping the grip on his string tight.

"I've seen you before. And you were not with these Klundors..."

Posted By: Magus Jul 28, 2004 - 01:41 pm

"For so long I have wept for you. For so long I was alone." Jacatour spoke these words, his voice soft and quivering.

"My love, we are together at last. Fate has returned you to me and I to you." Aliandra's silky voice whispered softly into the half-orc's ear."

Jacatour gently broke off the embrace and turned away from his true love. He gazed at the home and the land and the animals.

"It's more beautiful then I have ever remembered it being." He finally said, his back still to Aliandra.

She walked over to him and placed her body against his back. She reached foreward in a gentle embrace. Jacatour took hold of her soft hands and she whispered into his ear again.

"Absence makes the heart grow fonder, love."

"Out of sight, out of mind." Jacatour grimmly corrected.

"What troubles you so, beloved? Why do you sulk so?"

Jacatour turned and faced her, barely able to muster so much courage to look into her flawless features.

"It has been so long." His voice again quivering. "I have sacrificed so much in your name. This is not my cozy home. This is not my green land. You are not my beautiful wife, not anymore. The vows we have taken were broken by death."

"Don't be so foolish, Jacatour. We are together once more. This is your cozy home. This is your green land. Those are your white sheep. And I, as I always was, am yours forever."

Jacatour couldn't speak for some time. He just stood there and held her. The embrace was heaven in itself. Finally he fell to his knees. She followed in suit.

"I cannot do this. I have friends. I have responsabilities. They need me. They are relying on me."

Aliandra gently moved him to his back and placed his head on her warm lap, like one would a child.

"Just stay with me, beloved. Stay awhile longer. Your friends will be waiting for you." She spoke in a sultry voice that demanded obediance.

Jacatour lay there in her motherly embrace. He fell softly into a sound and restful slumber.

Posted By: Neurolanis Jul 28, 2004 - 02:10 pm

"I think you...have me mistaken," said Rathsarann.

"That's enough," said Hashin, grabbing hold of the invisable wire and freeing Rathsarann. "That won't help anything, you two."

Posted By: Esioul Jul 28, 2004 - 02:35 pm

"I want some of that wire. What is it?" Judith muttered. She'd been keeping a low profile, just watching- and watching everything. No one heard her.
"Look, is this bloke dead or not?" she said, glancing at Jacatour. "Shouldn't we make sure? And should we really be hanging around here? I don't think there's much point in bothering about Rathsarann. It's already been said, but I'll say it again- he's not worth it."

Posted By: Magus Jul 28, 2004 - 02:41 pm

"No, he's not dead." Shabel-Grah said in a hollow voice, so unlike the one he calls his own. "He's still breathing. We should stay the night, we can't risk moving until morning. We decided to stay the night here and that's what we'll do."

Posted By: Esioul Jul 28, 2004 - 03:06 pm

"Sorry. Didn't hear you before. Must be going deaf." said Judith, sitting down and wrapping her coat around her. "Not really the place I'd choose to spend the night. Might wake up with frost bite or something. Or maybe rat bite..."

Posted By: Magus Jul 28, 2004 - 04:43 pm

"Look at him, will you? Look at his face. After what pains and blows fate has dealt him I don't think any of us have the right to complain about the wrongs done to us this night." Said Shabel-Grah in a lecterous and inward tone. It wasn't condensending, just informative. It was said to both of them, Shabel-Grah's thoughts were pointed inward tonight.

Posted By: Neurolanis Jul 28, 2004 - 05:00 pm

"I think you're probally right," agreed Hashin, stepping over to see the sleeping Rolc. "I'll look after him, but I doubt that he will be up and around for a while. I must also treat Rowena's arm."

Rathsarann turned to his unders. "Set up camp."

Posted By: ForeverZero Jul 28, 2004 - 06:07 pm

The others were setting up camp, but Phantom and Shadow took to the hills above.

"What was that all about just now? A member of the Blade of Heaven and hell doesn't just go attacking people. We choose our enemies carefully and stalk in the shadows, but you outright threatened him," Phantom said.

"There is much more to this picture than what you saw. That Dark Elf used to work alone; I would know, I've seen him more than once. I think he was an assassin, as you and I were. Either he gave up that profession long ago or he has some other plan in mind that requires the use of a few allies. And you and I both know that a dedicated assassin works alone. Something in amiss..." Shadow replied.

"Where did you get that Angel Hair, by the way?"

"I made it. It takes several months to complete the process, but once it is done the wire is nigh indestructible. It has lasted me for several years, now."

Shadow demonstrated his prowess by moving his hands about, seemingly tangling his fingers in the string, yet he managed to keep control of it and performed various, quickly performed movements.

"So, with this string you were able to kill twenty Orcs all at once?"

"Yes, but that was quite difficult to pull off without the stirng getting in everyone's way. There was strategic placement involved."

"I'll be out of sight for a while," Shadow added, "I must investigate this Dark Elf further. I'll be close by if you need me. I'm sure you'll be able to see me bestof all, so you neednot call out to me."

At that, Shadow took to the shade of the night.

Posted By: Magus Jul 29, 2004 - 05:26 am

The morning was clear and bright. It was nearly a week since Jacatour's first slumber. How long was it in the real world, the one outside of this pleasent dream? He didn't know. Time seemed funny when he was with her.

Jacatour was chopping some logs for firewood, he was adjacent to the house. The work was long and hard, but rewarding. He buried himself in work these days. Work... and her.

His body was drenched in sweat. His muscles rippled at they were brought up with the ax and let it fall. The sun was on his back and a cool breaze dried the sweat on his brow. It was by far the most rewarding wiork he had ever done. It was better then killing or adventuring.

Aliandra crept up behind him as he work. Wrapped in his owne thoughts he didn't know she was the until it was too late.

Shecame from behind and locked her arms around his back and chest. There she held him and ran her lips across his back. Her hand went lower and Jacatour stopped working.

"You got me Aliandra." He said in the midst of a fit of boyish laughter.

"DO I now? You are my prisoner in that case. What does the prisoner care to do? Or do you just want me to decide for you?" Her sultry voiceexcited Jacatour as much as her very touch.

"I can think of only one thing I want to... do."

Aliandra and he giggled like school children. They were the only two people ever to live, it seemed. Jacatour ceased chopping wood and moved on to his next... "job".

Posted By: Magus Jul 29, 2004 - 10:15 am

Shabel-Grah gathered the firewood. There was little enough of it, but still just enough to get a small blaze going.

He arranged the wood in a pattern modelled after cabins, with the smallest on the top. He stuffed the center square, which was a good square foot, with dried grass and dead leaves. He then stood at a slight distance from it.

"Vitra losore trae." He said in a weak and tired voice.

The fire was lit and the fuel was burning. There was a small pile of dry twigs and logs and leaves a few feet away from the flames, there in case the fire ran low.

Posted By: Neurolanis Jul 29, 2004 - 01:42 pm

(Yeah, Luv_Me_Tender...please don't talk here. You're welcome to join into the story if you want.)

Rathsarann approached Shabel-Grah. "Morning," he said, grimly.

Hashin was examining Rowena's bandaged arm, but she hadn't woke up yet.

Posted By: SirJill Jul 29, 2004 - 02:46 pm

Shabel-Grah looked up at Rathsarann numbly; he'd been sitting next to the fire all night and had only drifted off a few times. Each time he woke guilt consumed him that he had abandoned his friend and he had gotten up to check on Jacatour. However, he still hadn't shown any sign of getting better; or even moving. True, Rathsarann had broken him from his daze, but he had too many things on his mind to pay much attention to the dark elf.

On the other hand, Rowena was starting to wake up; the first sensation she felt was pain. And then groggyness. And then pain. She sat up and batted away whatever was touching her wounded arm, opening her eyes and looking aroung grumpily. "Did I get the *beep*?" She mumbled.

Posted By: Neurolanis Jul 29, 2004 - 04:32 pm

"Maybe in your dreams," said Hashin, actually showing a friendly smile. He was usually so sulumn. "Your wound will heal quickly, but it will pain you for a while. Try to move as much as possible."

Posted By: SirJill Jul 29, 2004 - 04:39 pm

Rowena made an unhappy noise and looked around. She watched Rathsarann for a moment with angry, hooded eyes and then turned back to Hashin with a sigh. "Try to move or try not to move?"
Neurolanis
Resident Author
Resident Author

Postby Neurolanis » Thu Apr 14, 2005 8:15 am

Posted By: Neurolanis Jul 29, 2004 - 04:47 pm

"Your arm is bad," said Hashin. "You are a wonderful warrior, better than most here realize, but you are no match for him. Besides, if you killed Rathsarann his men would destroy you. I doubt that we could protect you. Those Klundors are no mindless foot soldiers, they're dangerous. Please, Rowena. Forget him. I'll keep my mind on him. He himself intends us no direct harm, I sense. It's something else. Maybe he leads us into a trap, who's to say? We'd best leave him be. Play diplomatic. Pick up clues, and try to figure out his plot."

Posted By: Neurolanis Jul 29, 2004 - 04:49 pm

"Move. Slowly."

Posted By: SirJill Jul 29, 2004 - 05:38 pm

She blinked and sighed agitatedly. "I will try. But that's the best I can promise you." She replied quietly, trying to catch his eyes. Then after a moment she flexed her hand and winced. "You were right about one thing. This hurts like..." She winced again, trailing off.

Ask him when it will be better.

She blinked, "Oh, yeah, when am I going to have full use of it? Any guesses?"

Posted By: Neurolanis Jul 29, 2004 - 06:55 pm

"It'll get better very soon," said Hashin. "It may take a couple days for it to feel as good as before."

Posted By: SirJill Jul 29, 2004 - 07:42 pm

"When will most of the pain be gone?"

Posted By: ForeverZero Jul 29, 2004 - 11:36 pm

Shadow sat in a tree overhead, keeping his eye on the Dark Elf. He knew the warrior wasn't attuned to his senses enough to notice him--mayble he could pick up a presene, but not it slocation or who it was--so for the time being, he could stay calm. Jacatour perhaps, would notice him, but this Dark Elf didn't have the advantages that the Rolc had.

Shadow first suspected an assassin, but now he thought differently. He now thought he was a Reaper. An assassin traind to kill assassins. A common hired defense among high-ranking officials. They were trained in advanced fighting arts, but to Shadow's knowledge no Reaper was ever able to defend against an assassin of the Blade of Heaven and Hell and survive.

Regardless, Shadow would keep an eye on him.

Meanwhile, Phantom stood amove Jacatour's body. There was something about him, something strange. His soul was very dim, not just the lessened glow that one would get from unconsciousness, but a glow that told Phantom that he was not fully in this world. Something was going on.

Posted By: Neurolanis Jul 30, 2004 - 08:26 am

"Very soon today," said Hashin.

Posted By: SirJill Jul 30, 2004 - 09:00 am

Rowena made another face, "It'll stop hurting but I can't use it?. Ugh."

Posted By: Neurolanis Jul 30, 2004 - 12:21 pm

The day passed. Klundors brought deer meat and berres for lunch. Rathsarann was silent but edgy. He kept looking strangley to Shabel-Grah.

Posted By: SirJill Jul 30, 2004 - 12:35 pm

Rowena watched Shabel-Grah during lunch. She ate little herself; not feeling up to it. Her arm still hurt but finally she called Shabel over to her. He simply looked at her with blurry eyes.

"Shabel, you oughta eat. Jacatour will pull through. Don't worry about it." She knew the last words had been in shallow, but she knew of nothing else to say that might help him. So shallow it was.

Shabel-Grah gave little response to her advice but he did take a handful of berries. They stained his hands but he didn't mind particularly.

Rowena kept one eye on him and the other on Rathsarann. She wasn't good at waiting but this situation forced her into it. And, although seeming to be unarmed, she kept a dagger in her belt at all times.

Posted By: *_* fiery red *_* Jul 30, 2004 - 02:55 pm

[my character is Aizlyn, a young shape-shifter and ranger. She tends to stick to her true form, a young woman, slender and graceful, with smooth light olive skin cool to the touch like ceramic. Aizlyn longs for a true friend, someone to trust, always searching and hoping.]

Even the brightest day has its shadows and from one of the shadows watched a young woman. Aizlyn Rajani. Her hair was long and brown, resembling the darkest chocolate, and her eyes, slightly almond shaped, the same dark hue. Long eyelashes veil her eyes and make it hard to read into her soul. Her ears were pointed softly at the tips hinting at her race's close relationship with elves. She wore a heavy black cloak edged in silver that concealed her numerous daggers and her favorite knives, her weapons of choice. The knives had pale silver blades that were smooth and perfect, shining frostily as if made from lightning and ice. They were about 9 or 10 inches in length and the hilts were pure obsidian. She also carried a scimitar though she rarely used it, fancying close quarters combat with her knives instead. She wore men's heavy black boots and carefully tailored black pants. Her shirt was silver and her vest over it was black.

Aizlyn watched the group of travelers, an odd collection to be sure, but she was not one to judge, having been born into the darkest, most powerful family of shape-shifters imaginable. Servants to the dark god K'larkh himself. But she had renounced the Rajani family, her own blood, and vowed that their corruption and malevolence would not govern her life, it was her own to shape and mold, hers alone.

Aizlyn studied the travelers, her amber eyes glittering from the shadows. They all looked older than she, they would probably scorn her from the beginning. They did not know how much she had seen in the little time she had lived. She caught a glimpse of a young man, human about her age, perhaps a year or two her senior and two women slightly older than he who might not find her age such a factor.

Aizlyn had a brave, if dangerous soul, the soul of a fighter, so she decided to risk it. She'd been watching them and maybe they could answer some of her questions. The necromancer was searching for something, that much she'd been able to pick up. They were heading to the Tomb of Orceth, the very place that her father had searched for and failed. Her father had been looking for a powerful jewel of some sort and had enlightened his family on its many evil purposes and a client of his that longed for it. This man seemed to have too good of a soul to have been the same one that had spoken with her father, neigh on a score of years ago. And yet . . . the necromancer held a striking resemblance to the man. a resemblence like light resembles dark, associated together but separate ends of the spectrum.

Aizlyn stepped from the shadows into the bright of the sun.

"greetings travelers." she spoke in a lilting tone that was soothing and partially disguised her dangerous ranger/warrioress character. "I have been watching you."

Posted By: Esioul Jul 30, 2004 - 03:50 pm

Judith recognized her at once. She knew about the Rajani's- all of K'Larkh's people knew about the Rajani's, and about Aizlyn Rajani. Slipping silently through the streets of K'Lark's city, Judith had seen the processions of noble families, and as a tired, shabby looking plebian in a trudging crowd of more tired, shabby plebians had gone unnoticed herself. There was a considerable price on the head of Aizlyn Rajani, so Judith smiled to herself. Rathsarann caught the smile, and winked at her, so she winked back. Might as well flirt to pass the time till Jacatour wakes up and we move again, she thought.

Posted By: SirJill Jul 30, 2004 - 05:17 pm

Rowena saw the young woman and drew her dagger. She didn't particularly like the way she had just appeared out of practically thin air. She looked questiongly over at Hashin and then her gaze flicked to Shabel-Grah. The magician had broken his daze and stood up, watching the girl with...she wasn't sure, but there was something in his eyes.

"Greetings." He replied, stepping forward with more energy then they would have guessed.

Posted By: Neurolanis Jul 30, 2004 - 06:11 pm

Hashin stood up. He sensed nothing evil in her. "I am Hashin, this Rowena, Judith, Shabel-Grah...what is your name and what brings you this way, stranger?"

Posted By: scalem the tenth Jul 31, 2004 - 02:43 am

Down in the wayfarer’s inn, Barrol awoke and realized he had slept for a full day. He almost stumbled down the stairs, which were not built for one of his kind. As he came down he realized they had left him. He wasn't pleased by this, but didn't care that much since the people in the party were not of the sort he liked. As he ordered a beer he thought of the party that had left him behind: •••• and I am short of money already, he decided to head to the harbors. The sailors had always paid him well for unloading their ships. The last time he hadn't been rewarded for his duties and he had crunched the ship owner his head. This had been a great move since the harbor court had decided to make him the owner of the ship instead. Afterwards he had sold the ship and spent the money traveling. Now his purse was empty and he decided that he wanted to return to the harbor.
He left the inn and wandered if his next boss would be so dumb as not to pay him.

Posted By: *_* fiery red *_* Jul 31, 2004 - 07:52 am

Aizlyn studied the two men that stepped forward to return her greeting. shabel-grah, she had heard the name before, what was it that the evil man had told her father about this shabel-grah? it was important, that she knew, but she could not recall what it was.

the man called hashin seemed friendly enough and the woman called rowena watched her warily with distrust but not hate. Aizlyn saw the woman called judith smile at a dark elf and immediately told herself not to turn her back on them for too long. it was good to keep friends and allies close, but better to keep possible enemies closer.

"my name is Aizlyn. i come from a dark family, that i will tell you from the start. but rest assured, i take no part in their evil ways, the innocent blood that stains their hands has not touched mine. what brings me this way. . . hmmmm. i suppose it is safe to say that the wind itself brings me this way, i have no home, no destination. i have been watching your band of travelers for only about a day, and you interest me. perhaps my skills can be of use to you." she said, not wanting to appear as if she was ashamed of her past and trying to hide it to decieve them. they were a worthy bunch and deserved some truth.

aizlyn's gaze wandered over the travelers and the scene before her. a great rolc lay slumped against a tree looking like death itself. Aizlyn slowly approached him, passing by shabel-grah, lightly brushing by his cloak. in the depths of her mind, a name surfaced. her father's nefarious employer, sabal-gah. Aizlyn froze and looked into the necromancers eyes.

"youre his brother." she whispered, falling to the ground at his feet. she remembered it clearly now, sabal-gah had told her father his brother, his nemisis(sp?), was searching for the same thing as he was. and he had said that shabel-grah must not get it. Aizlyn had been hiding in the broomcloset, disguised as a spider, listening. the tale of the two brothers had inspired her, taught her that she did not have to follow the same dark path as her family. and from the tale she had drawn the strength she needed to break from tradition and become her own person, someone who did not worship k'larkh, but levelmna and ellan.

Posted By: Esioul Jul 31, 2004 - 08:22 am

"Oh dear" said Judith to Rathsarann. "She sounds excellant. Know who she is?" she tried to ask the last casually, because she was not yet sure of Rathsarann- only almost sure.

Posted By: Neurolanis Jul 31, 2004 - 08:33 am

"No," said Hashin. "But she seems friendly anough. Welcome, Aizlyn. What brings you this way, then? Do you follow the wind?" Perhaps Hashin intended that as a joke, as a strong gail blew up over Aizlyn's back as they spoke.

Rathsarann sat quietly upon a stone, staring at the newcomer.

Posted By: *_* fiery red *_* Jul 31, 2004 - 08:50 am

Aizlyn looked at Hashin as he joked about her comments. she smiled, a forced smile, but sweet all the same. it was ironic how often she did seem to follow the wind.

"at times it seems as if the wind is the only thing to count on. it always knows where to go. i go where i like, wherever the good godesses pull me to. at the current moment i am in search of something. i understand you are heading to the tomb of orceth?" she asked carefully.

out of the corner of her eye Aizlyn saw the woman called judith and the klundor watching her. her keen hearing caught judith's comment and Aizlyn turned to her.

"no, not excellent, not perfect, we all have faults. do i know you? how do you know me?" she asked, not aggressivly but warily, her left hand, the side turned away from judith, inched toward her knife. Hashin stood on that side of her and she prayed that he would not call attention to her movements. she had many enemies and she knew there was a price set on her head by her father. she hadnt survived for s long on herown by being pleasant and polite, Aizlyn was still deathly dangerous.

Posted By: SirJill Jul 31, 2004 - 09:42 am

Shabel-Grah hurriedly stepped between Aizlyn and Judith. He held out one hand to each of them, passively. "Please, Aizlyn, we have had enough infighting between our band already." He looked pointedly at Rowena. She grinned and shrugged. They all knew what he was talking about and she didn't feel particularly embarassed by attacking Rathsarann, even though the 'attack' had been more like an attempt.

Shabel-Grah nodded to Judith and then spoke again, "Judith, perhaps such comments should be asked privately or to one's face. If the information Aizlyn has given us is not enough for you then perhaps you should ask Rathsarann later. " He turned his gaze back to Aizlyn, "It is certainly enough information for me. You are welcome to join our party, Aizlyn. As for the Tomb of Orceth it is our destination. Perhaps you would discuss something with me later?" He said this last with something carefully guarded in his voice.
Neurolanis
Resident Author
Resident Author

Postby Neurolanis » Thu Apr 14, 2005 8:17 am

Posted By: *_* fiery red *_* Jul 31, 2004 - 11:36 am

aizlyn smiled, her face going pretty as she beamed at Shabel-Grah. He reminded her of the father figure she had alwas longed for but never seen even traces of in her father.

"you misunderstand, sir shabel-grah, i wondered only where she knew me from. you will forgive my cautious phrasing of the question, i have many enemies. however, i am open to a friendly conversation." her tone was bright and inviting, but it changed suddenly, taking on a mysterious air as she added in a low murmur,"there is something i would like to share with you.i think you will find it most interesting."
she turned, sending judith and the klundor called Rathsarann one last look that told them she was far from trusting them, and turned away, looking at Rowena, who watched her warily. she read the young woman's face easily enough, she was uneasy with Aizlyn's appearance.

"in case you all havent noticed, im a shape-shifter. disguise and concealing myself are my nature. i apologize if i offended anyone by secretly observing your group."

Posted By: Esioul Jul 31, 2004 - 01:31 pm

Judith swore quietly. Oh well. She would be laughing at them all, later.

She drew Rathsarann aside, and tried to ignore sharp looks from the Rajani girl. "Well, do you know who she is?"

Posted By: Neurolanis Jul 31, 2004 - 06:09 pm

"Not at all," said Hashin to Aizlyn. "I sensed someone about. I knew you were no threat. However, for Shabel-Grah I assume you have offended."

Posted By: SirJill Aug 01, 2004 - 08:16 am

Rowena settled back against the tree, her eyes darting from one set of conversation to another. She didn't like the way Judith and Rathsarann had 'paired up' all of a sudden. It reminded her that she ought to be careful of what she said around Judith. Better that she had not heard her past.

The newcomer also deserved attention. So she was tied in with Sabal-Gah. Odd. I wonder what Shabel thinks about that? He certainly seems anxious to want to talk to her about it. Perhaps they know each other from...now that's just silly. If they know each other it's only by association.

Her eyes now turned to Hashin. He was standing beside her so she had to look up at him. A strange one, she thought. Keeps to himself too much. Or keeps too much to himself. She became vaguely suspicious of him but brushed it off. He's a healer. And besides, if there's something I need to know he'll tell me. I'm sure of it.

But something inside her knew she didn't trust herself wholly around him. Perhaps it was Gregory, perhaps it was her own conscience.

Posted By: Esioul Aug 01, 2004 - 08:23 am

"Look", Judith was saying, "Is there any way we can move Jacatour? I'm not entirely happy about staying here- people might want to find out what we're doing here, and they might not like the look of us"

Posted By: Neurolanis Aug 01, 2004 - 11:06 am

"We can move in the woods," suggested Hashin. "Moving Jacatour would not only slow us down, but it would be easier said than done."

Rathsarann nearly made a suggestion, but didn't.

Posted By: *_* fiery red *_* Aug 01, 2004 - 11:49 am

aizlyn knew the strange woman called rowena watched her suspiciously, but there was nothing to be done with that. she'd seen rowena attack the dark elf called rathsarann and knew that there were perhaps two sides to this group. if the klundor was tied in with the pink haired woman, he was certainly one to watch. perhaps Aizlyn should not have revealed her true identity so readily. but, that was her nature, impulsive and trusting, two things that probably would not help her in the days to come.

she heard the others speak of moving the rolc and bent over him to examine his injury. it reeked of black magic so strongly her eyes teared up and she backed away, gasping for breath. she straightened and listened to Hashin's and Judith's exchange. an idea blosomed in her mind. perhaps she would be able to gain their trust using her abilities.

Aizlyn turned to Hashin and quietly made her suggestion.

"perhaps, he could ride an ox?" she smiled as she spoke, wondering if the others would catch on, helped by her subtle inquiry.

Posted By: Neurolanis Aug 01, 2004 - 12:51 pm

"An ox?" said Hashin. "Where could we get an ox?"

Posted By: ForeverZero Aug 01, 2004 - 01:23 pm

Disguise and concealment was indeed a shapeshifter's nature, but none were as proficient at it as one of the Blade of Heaven and Hell.

Shadow sat in the tree calmly, observing the conversation below. Phantom had taken into hiding as well, no doubt as soon as he had seen this girl named Aizlyn.

Phantom stood with his back to another tree--A dead one, ironic a hiding place as it was--for he had hid there as soon as he saw the second shapeshifter. The first one wasn't a threat, but this one's soul was different. She may have said she was hidden, but it is hard to hide one's soul when it is as erattic and as random as a shapeshifter's.

Although, he noticed a glimpse of knives that she carried. Phantom almost honored her for her choice of weapons, but that ws not the immediate concern. Just as he knew Shadow sensed it, Phantom sensed it as well. This girl was not as she seemed.

Posted By: Esioul Aug 01, 2004 - 01:25 pm

Judith laughed. "How stupid you are, Hashin! Could it easily be managed for a long time?" she said, turning to Aizlyn. Judith was bored, bored of this place and bored of the company, and wanted to be riding, if nothing else could be done.

Posted By: Magus Aug 01, 2004 - 03:26 pm

The stars shone softly, twinkling in and out in the night's darkness. The cresent moon was waxing, nearing its zenith. It would be full in but two or three more days. No clouds obstructed the view.

Time seemed slower on this side of reality. The days seemed longer and the nights went likewise. All of the time spent here was peaceful. Jacatour had never been this happy since...

Jacatour sat up. Up until this point he had been on his back, gazing at the stars. Aliandra sat up to meet him. She drew him close to her, moved her mouth to nibble and tug playfully at his ear. Then she whispered her question.

"What troubles you, darling? The night is well. What is it that ails you so?"

Jacatour couldn't find the words to explain what was wrong. The wind seemed to cold and the night too still. A feeling of unese hung over the land like and invisible blanket. He didn't know but this is exactly how his mother had felt before she had concieved him.

But even that wasn't it, not entirely. Mostly it was his back. The leangth of it burned and pained him, as if a sword... as if a sword had cut him there. No, not cut. It was as if he had been dealt a fatal wound there.

"It's... nothing. Just a little chill out here."

"You play with me. The air is warm and sensuous. But if you want me to keep you warm..."

The thought comforted Jacatour, but not entirely. He was too comfortable. And he knew it. It just seemed too perfect.

"No... that's not it. Aliandra... what am I doing here? What are WE doing here?"

"We?" She questioned playfully, sinking back into her most sultry tone. "We are making love. We have been making love. And we will make love again. Isn't that enough?"

It should be enough. Gods know Jacatour WANTED it to be enough. But it wasn't.

"Aliandra..." Jacatour began, looking deeply into her eyes... the eyes of his one true love. "I shouldn't be here. I have responsabilities. I... I need to tell you now of them."

And so he did. They spoke in palaver until dawn, when all was finally explained.

Posted By: Neurolanis Aug 01, 2004 - 05:35 pm

"I simply meant..," said Hashin, then turning to face Jacatour. "I think our friend is about to wake up."

"Finally," sighed Rathsarann under his voice.

Posted By: Magus Aug 01, 2004 - 05:40 pm

Shabel-Grah walked over to Aizlyn, the hollow and empty look had left his eyes. He looked as he once did, passive yet mighty; determined and willing. He seemed to be euphoric with renewed hope.

"Indeed he seems to stir." Shabel-Grah said. "But you all forget one thing. His injuries are severe. Even if he wishes it not, for indeed he would wish it not, he may still require some assistance. Yes. An ox would work quite well. My thanks to you, milady."

Posted By: Neurolanis Aug 01, 2004 - 05:48 pm

"He's a big man," said Rathsarann. "We'd need an ox all right."

Posted By: Magus Aug 01, 2004 - 05:50 pm

Jacatour looked mournfully at Aliandra, his fair and true love. She had absorbed all he had told her well enough. It seemed to chaste the both of them, for they were sober from the information. Neither spoke for a while after he had finished. Jacatour was the one to break the silence.

"I want to stay with you. •••• this fate of mine. •••• all of the gods in the high heavens! I want to stay with you till the end of my days Aliandra. I never want to leave your side. I love you."

"Nay, gentle love. This is something above the both of us. Fate is beyond us to control. You can neither rise above it then can any man, or woman for that matter. You must go."

"But... Aliandra... I love you. Ye know I do with all of mine heart. I... I lost ye once. I don't want to lose ye again. I fear that I may never find this place... That I'll never find ye again."

Aliandra lay quite again for some time. She was to break this silence.

"Love, ye knows ye must go, for the good of yon friends and company. It is YOUR fate and YOUR destiny to do so. My fate was stilled a long time ago, ye know this. My life is over and yours must carry on."

"But... I love thee Aliandra..."

"Aye, I know ye does. But I will live in you, live in this place in you, as long as ye remebers mine face. Carry it always and we shall never be parted."

Jacatour looked at the ground. He couldn't bring himself to look at her face, a face that sparkled more dearly then any jewel and more valuable then any treasure.

"But..." Her warm and tender lips met his mid-sentence. Her warm tears carressed his cheeks.

"Rememeber mine face, love. Remember and keep it."

Posted By: Magus Aug 01, 2004 - 05:55 pm

Jacatour opened his eyes for what felt like the first time. His body was racked with pain, fresh pain. He looked at the sky and saw the moon, same as it was before. Had it only been so long. Had he only been out for so short a time. He dreamt for an age, but slept for what could have been no more then a few hours. His heart panged with the greatest pain. The wound of the soul and heart being newly opened and still fresh.

He moved slowly to a sitting position. Gods the pain was incredible. But he grinned and bore it, he had felt worse, but not much worse.

The others seemed to notice his waking, his change in breathing. They ceased talking among themselves and drew their gazes and conversations towards him.

Posted By: Neurolanis Aug 01, 2004 - 06:16 pm

Hashin would have offered Jacatour something for his agony, but was shy, and unsure that it would be eccepted.

"Well, you're up," said Rathsarann. "Where've you been, in another world?"

Posted By: Magus Aug 01, 2004 - 06:25 pm

For the first time in Shabel-Grah's memory Jacatour actually smiled. It wasn't that grin or grimace he had been passing off for smiles when in his company. It was an actual smile of amusement.

"You could say that."

And then the unthinkable happened. Jacatour began laughing. It crescendoed into a great fortissimo and echoed loudly in te empty land. Soon his fits subsided. Several tears of joy dripped down his face. Everyone simply stared, not sure what to make of the developement.

Posted By: Neurolanis Aug 01, 2004 - 06:35 pm

Hashin was moved by this, and took the opening. "Would you like something for that pain?" He handed out a little bag of purple leaves. "Chew on these. They'll take the edge off, and get rid of most of the pain by tomarrow."

Posted By: Magus Aug 01, 2004 - 06:41 pm

"Nay. I need them not. I will work through what pain there is. I'll be the same as before given a day or two."

Shabel-Grah could hardly believe the transformation done to his friend after only a few hours of unconciousness. Whatever had happened Jacatour now seemed to be on better terms with Hashim. Shabel-Grah knew that something must have happened, something monumental, for this sort of change in Jacatour's behavior.

Jacatour could amaze them no more tonight, it seemed. For as soon as he had finished speaking he had once more lapsed into a state of unconciousness.
Neurolanis
Resident Author
Resident Author

Postby Neurolanis » Thu Apr 14, 2005 8:18 am

Posted By: *_* fiery red *_* Aug 02, 2004 - 06:22 am

Aislyn had been startled when the rolc had started laughing, scared even. She'd been close enough to the wound to know that it should have killed him, it would have killed an ogre 3 times his size. indeed, she sensed something bigger at work here than the humble creatures of the earth. something almost. . . magic.

shaking off the uncanny feeling that had crept up on her, Aizlyn had the strange sense she was being watched. yet how could that be? her new companions were milling about, concerned for the rolc, and they should be, but still, she felt a wary eye observing her every move. unnerved, she spun, looking around, and seeming to notice the shadows were deeper off to her right near a long dead tree.

'dont be silly, Aizlyn, no one is following you. your father doesnt know where you are. he thinks youre in a port city' she scolded herself and she turned from the trees and joined her companions.

"simply let me know when you would need such an ox and perhaps i can find one for you." she said quietly, unsure if her services would still be needed, praying she would not have to change forms in such mixed and sometimes questionable company.

Posted By: Magus Aug 02, 2004 - 06:50 am

Jacatour had once more lapsed into a state of unconciousness. The world was black to him. No dreams came this time.

Posted By: Magus Aug 02, 2004 - 06:51 am

"I think that it's hardly nessesary at this point, but you have my deepest thanks." Shabel-Grah said. "He's waked and will wake again if any need arises. Fear not."

Posted By: *_* fiery red *_* Aug 02, 2004 - 07:13 am

"good." Aizlyn sighed thankfully. she was weakest when she shifted from her true form, the more dilation her form underwent, the more energy lost. And that rolc looked heavy, probably too heavy to have carried all the way to the tomb.

"sir shabel-grah, if you have a moment, seeing as how he has drifted off again, i thought perhaps i could speak with you. . . " she paused, lowered her voice and eyes secretively and whispered almost inaudibly "concerning your brother."

Posted By: Magus Aug 02, 2004 - 07:15 am

Shabel-Grah, who was about to ask the lass to refrain from calling him sir, as he was not a knight, stopped dead. He spoke slowly and clearly in a manner that told all this was nothing to make light of. If she had information she had best be forthcoming and honest with it.

"What do you know about Sabal-Gah. I wish to know, nay, I NEED to know."

Posted By: *_* fiery red *_* Aug 02, 2004 - 07:29 am

"my father is lord rajani a sort of mercenary shifter. my family follows whatever he says, well, except for me, but that is another story." aizlyn began, wondering how much Shabel-Grah already knew, not wanting to give him information he already knew. the urgency of the necromancer's tone however, caused her to push forward with her story.

" when i was very young, perhaps four or five, a man came to my father, saying he had a job beyond all others that would make my father more powerful than k'larkh, even. my father, of course, he fell for it, his greed and lust for power overcoming what little intelligence he had. he sent me away as he spoke to the man but i was curious, i transformed into a spider and hid in a closet, listening to the man's proposition. he wanted my father to get him a map to the tomb of orceth so he could have a mere gem, a ruby i think, or something like that, a ruby necklace. remember, i tell you this in the deepest of confidences, sir." she said, hesitating, afraid of the next part of her story. afraid that someone would overhear and use it against her.

Posted By: Magus Aug 02, 2004 - 07:34 am

"Nay, not a ruby. It is a glass pearl of crimson red on a necklace of demon fangs about a string of golden thread. Yes, it makes sense now. Sabal-Gah would need a map. Only those who know already where the tomb is can find it, thus is its magic and charm."

Both of them fell silent for a moment, but for only a moment. Aizlyn was the one to break the silence.

Posted By: *_* fiery red *_* Aug 02, 2004 - 07:46 am

" he failed, my father, he couldnt get it. he claimed it was lost, and only one map would lead the way, he said it was destroyed. Sabal-Gah didnt believe him and took vengence on my family, murduring my mother, tearing her to four pieces and scattering them to the four winds. he told my father of another way, a darker way to find the tomb. . . something with calling a demon and invoking it. i was to be the host for the demon. my father volunteered me though Sabal-Gah was certain i would be killed but my father cared not. keep in mind, sir, i was very young. they proceeded and the demon told me things that only i heard. i still hear it at times, whispering in the night, revealing secrets of the world. it told me the map existed but the one who had it would not find the tomb, they would be led into a trap. it said there was a special way to read it. something about rowan and an overlay to the map. i recovered after 66 days, and sought the map and its overlay. my friend, deovhara, had it. she intended to bring it to you and tell you the proper way to read it. has she not reached you?" aizlyn asked, perplexed by the look of slight surprise on Shabel-Grah's face.

Posted By: Magus Aug 02, 2004 - 07:51 am

Thomas, at the sound of his true love's name, jumped up onto Shabel-Grah's shoulder. Shabel-Grah looked horrified. He had assumed that the shapeshifter had decided not to come after all. If it was a thing so important as this then why didn't she. He had, in fact, put her out of his mind completely. After the attack... and Jacatour...

"She reached us, yes. But she came with us not... I hadn't even thought about her since we departed... she stayed at the inn..."

Posted By: *_* fiery red *_* Aug 02, 2004 - 07:52 am

aizlyn continued, aware that something had indeed stopped deovhara from delivering her message. "sabal-gah told me horrible things he would do with the power of that artifact. he said he could make the world bend at his feet, and his brother would be first. did he mean you? are you looking for the same thing? if you are, i shant help you find it, something that powerful does not belong in the hands of us lesser beings. it should stay buried and hidden for all of time!"

Posted By: Magus Aug 02, 2004 - 08:01 am

"I seek it not for the power. I seek vengence on my brother, and no more. He and I were equally matched when last we fought. He..." Shabel-Grah tried to surpress the surfacing memories of his family. His mother's dying screams and his father's brave stand. He could still see them enveloping in fire, and his cruel dark laugh. "He seeks he gems, for there are three. My instructor had one and gave it to me, to help seek my vengence. My brother acquired the second in a barren dessert. He now seeks the third to triumph over me. I seek the gem because I know that is where he journies towards."

Posted By: *_* fiery red *_* Aug 02, 2004 - 08:19 am

"good, now i can trust you easier. he's evil, your brother is, pure evil... what do the other gems do? i know the red is bent on destruction. anyway, he found another way to get to the tomb, i was following him for a while, that's how i got here. he's ahead of you, but traveling at a slow pace. i think perhaps if we hurried and used the shortcut, we could get there before him. you know, he's hired assassins for you. i bumped into one a while back, thought it was one of my father's after me. i hope you dont mind me. . . umm, . . . disposing of his threat." she tried to phrase it carefully so she wouldnt scare Shabel-Grah. The rabbit sitting on his shoulder twitched and studdied her through it's small, animal eyes. she smiled at it, and turned her atention back to Shabel.

"he's bent on getting it, make no mistake. but what will you do once you've got it? i heard Sabal-Gah say it twists the minds of good men to do evil. bury it, or smash it, whatever you do, dont use it for anything."

Aizlyn's warning and harsh tone hung in the air and she turned, watching her companions. she caught judith watching her converse with Shabel-Grah and felt a familiar sense tugging at the back of her mind.

" this judith, what do you know of her? i do not like the way she whispers to the klundor and knows who i am. should i be wary of her?" she asked Shabel-Grah, her mind turning to her own safety and away from talk of sabal-gah.

Posted By: Magus Aug 02, 2004 - 08:24 am

"Jacatour would tell you to be wary, but not I. I think she is one who is to be trusted. The gems are mighty powerful ones at that. They amplify one's own powers one hundred fold.

"Indeed they do warp the mind and the soul, but none can be more warped then Sabal-Gah's is already. I have only used it once, when I fought with Sabal when he acquired his own. I have not used it prior or since. I have enough to worry about without the fate of my mind and soul to throw into that mix." He said, giving a weak smile.

Posted By: Esioul Aug 02, 2004 - 08:50 am

"Well, if you were wary of me, it would make things more difficult for me" thought Judith, pretending to be asleep under her coat.

Posted By: *_* fiery red *_* Aug 02, 2004 - 12:06 pm

"all the more, sir Shabel, i think perhaps i should keep an eye on her, and that klundor too. my instincts are warning me there is someone here who's own agenda does not match your own. as for me? i have no plans, i will come with your group as far as you will have me." Aizlyn smiled, turning away and looking at the slumbering Jacatour.

" i think i would much like to speak with him. from your description it sounds as if we are of alike minds. . . at least in one area." she finished, looking over at the sleeping judith meaningfully.

Aizlyn turned to leave, perhaps to acquaint herself with the suspicious klundor or one of his men, just to get a feel for them, when a sudden memory struck her.

" your brother, he said something about a secret strength he feared you could wield. perhaps he was speaking of the gem? i do not know." she left Shabel-Grah with this cryptic message and wandered over to the Klundor Rowena had attacked earlier as she'd watched from the shadows. he was sitting on a rock and she took up a similar position on the one beside him.

" You have been quiet in the time that i've been here, Sir Klundor. and yet you seem to command attention. I heard Judith's question earlier and i have to ask, do you know me? and how?" she said brazenly. the Dark elf eyed her warily, a sneer seconds from appearing on his face. Aizlyn waited patiently for him to answer.

Posted By: Magus Aug 02, 2004 - 12:28 pm

Shabel-Grah sat there where the lass had left him to his thoughts. He knew something was wrong, something was amiss. He knew that something would have to be done. In a low voice that was barely audible to his own ears he whispered into the ears of Thomas.

"Keep an eye and an ear on things here tonight, Thomas. Go over there where that Aizlyn lass converses. I have work to do."

Posted By: Magus Aug 02, 2004 - 12:47 pm

Shabel-Grah slowly stood and walked into the battlefield, now dead as a graveyard. The corpses of countless orcs lay about, the acrid stench of death, which he had grown so accustomed to during his training, hung in the air as a phantom.

He checked his back to make sure that he was not being followed. He was not. Stooping low over one of the bodies, the least mutilated by the looks of it, he began casting a silent spell.

It is not well known that necromancers are not the masters of death. They are not its keeper. The soul and mind of a dead victim stays wherever it is that dead souls transgress to after their heart beats its last. A necromancer does, however; have the power to animate and command the corpse of a fallen one. If Shabel-Grah had the powers to resurrect the souls of the dead then his parents would not be numbered among them. If he had that power then good people needn’t fear death’s icy clutches. He didn’t have that power, however. Nobody had that kind of power.

The duration of the spell and quantity of the corpses that can be commanded is dependent on the power and will of the necromancer. Shabel-Grah had always been skilled at this art. He was quite skilled indeed. His purposes, however; called for only a single body. But if the rumors of assassins held water then more were needed.

“VALCEREO VALTALOE RACEA RACEA RAE VISRO!” He enchanted in a whisper rivaling the volume the message had been spoken to Thomas.

Thirty corpses around him began glowing with a pale green light that came from their dead eyes. They twitched and then began to rise. Shabel-Grah spoke again in his whisper, this time to the corpses. The flesh was rotting already off of some. Bones were broken, veins bleeding and numerous cuts engraved in the bodies. One had only three teeth left while another had lost both arms. This was Shabel-Grah's army of the dead. Army isn't exactly the proper word. These were his undead guardians.

“Follow our back trail. Kill not one soul who means us no harm. If any show hostility towards our company, and not just to your rotting corpses, then kill them. Follow our company when we move out.”

Pointing at the nearest corpse he gave special instructions. “Go back to The Jaded Wayfarer Inn. Examine the scene and investigate what has happened to Deovhara and Barrol. Investigate and report back. Kill no one."

The rotting bodes of the dead orcs left to fulfill their commands. Shabel-Grah went back to the fire which was slowly dying. Throwing another log into the blaze he closed his eyes, welcoming the first natural night's sleep since time out of memory.

Posted By: Esioul Aug 02, 2004 - 04:08 pm

It was very difficult, Judith found, to pretend to be asleep without giggling. But she swallowed her giggles and groaned a few snores, listening carefully. She saw Shabel-Grah's boots as he walked off, back the way they had come, towards the battle field. I wonder why? She thought, but Aizlyn was talking to Rathsarann; she quieted her breath so she could hear properly.

Posted By: Neurolanis Aug 02, 2004 - 04:48 pm

"I know you not, Aizlyn," spoke Rathsarann. As the dead rose and were commanded by Shabel-Grah he rose in fear. A fear was in fact burning upon his eyes. This mage had a power beyond that most powerful mages. It required a great power indeed to summon and control the dead. They were of course controlled by their 'outer souls -- that which a spirit left behind, and would gradually flow from the dead body back into the Severnia. To call upon it required either a link with one of two gods of the dead, or a power remembered only in legend.

Hashin also was impressed. He had a newfound respect for Shabel-Grah, realizing his modesty.

Posted By: Magus Aug 02, 2004 - 05:14 pm

The animated dead and the necromancer share a common bond. It is a telepathic link. When the necromancer sleeps he can see what his undead minions do. This is what filled the dreams of Shabel-Grah's sleep.

The night was dark and the path even darker. The orcs followed their backtrail in as much discretion that they could practice when they are really nthing more then rottin slabs of meat. The group came upon a group of camping individuals. Upon further inspection they were nothing more then travelling cloak salesmen and were likewise left be. Another group of travellers, a caravan of rich merchants were further left alone.

Five assassins were killed brutally. They had been following the trail closely and spoke of "killing those •••• kids". Before the night was over ten more would be found and killed. Shabel-Grah couldn't help but feel that there was at least one more that was missed. The night was dark. The undeads work was yet to be finished.
Neurolanis
Resident Author
Resident Author

Postby Neurolanis » Thu Apr 14, 2005 8:20 am

Posted By: Magus Aug 02, 2004 - 05:35 pm

Necromancy: The magical art by which a practitioner may animate the flesh of the deceased to do their bidding.

Necromancers are better described as a group of arcane scientists. Necromancy was first conceieved by radical conjerors in a long forgotten mage clan. They were not just satisfied knowing the secrets of life. They wanted to know more. They wanted to bridge the gap between life and death, and thus understand both. They were the first necromancers.

Necromancers have been shunned by society and segregated from most formal magical branches. Their assosiation with death and the dead are commonly mistrusted. Many believe them demons or angels of death in human form. All of this has lead to their undeserved and misrepresented reputation as evil and perverse.

Quite the opposite is true. Necromancers spend most of their lives in study. Their knowledge of interspecie biology has made them some of the most skilled clerics in the world, being able to cure wounds that would normally be fatal and being able to bring a person back from the brink of death.

Many mages are envious of the secrets of the necromancers. They fear what they may become and pine for it themselves. Their secrets are heavily guarded and kept secret to any outside of their clan.

Posted By: Neurolanis Aug 02, 2004 - 05:55 pm

**Morning. Sunny early. They headed out along the main road, passing by several groups of riders. Nothing unusual.**

Rathsarann walked with his Klundor followers. He kept looking back to make sure the walking dead were not following them. He didn't care much for their smell, or bedside manner. While he slept he heard Shabel-Grah talking to them. The dead would groan in agreeance, rather loudly. Klundors could stand many things, but the dead was not one of them.

Hashin walked beside Jacatour. "How do you feel after your...second rest?"

Posted By: Magus Aug 02, 2004 - 06:02 pm

Jacatour's back was paining him less now that he had rested it off. While his pain was subsiding his normal mannerisms were beginning to return, not, however; completely.

"I've been better." He said in a friendly joking sort of voice. Aliandra had reawakened part of him he had long feared dead.

The countryside rolled out in front of them. The lake was now out of view, as was the battlefield. In the distance the gray-blue figues of mountains loomed low in the midst of rolling hills. The day was bright and warm, and getting all the warmer. The day could reach as high as in the lower hundreds. It was still much cooler then that, but not for much longer. No clouds dared marr the sky this day. They would reach the mountains ere nightfall.

Posted By: Esioul Aug 03, 2004 - 02:43 am

Judith was glad she was the only one who still had a horse; that gave her an obvious advantage over everyone else. She stopped herself from holding her breath and looking back every five minutes at the dead bodies behind them. it wasn't as if K'Larkh hadn't used a similar spell, but- she could never bring herself to become resigned to it. She caught Shabel-Gah looking at her.
"You are so disgusting!" she said.

Posted By: Magus Aug 03, 2004 - 05:04 am

Shabel-Grah gave a small amused smile. It was as he exected. Most people reacted this way if seeing his true abilities. He had thought he wouldn't be seen so far away and under that kind of cover, nor be heard at the whispering volumes he had used. He had grossly underestimated his companions, something he does not do often. It wouldn't hurt to at least try to smooth the situation over little bit. They did, after all, have a long way to go still ere journy's end. He could benifit a proper work enviroment.

"How so?" He asked.

Posted By: *_* fiery red *_* Aug 03, 2004 - 07:46 am

Aizlyn had only slighty been surprised at Shabel-Grah's manifestation of power. she'd seen displays much worse, but couldn't help wondering if the necromancer was the same man she'd spoken to earlier. there was something about the act that reminded her to be wary of her new companions.

Aizlyn smiled slowly as she listened to judith and Shabel-grah's exchange, glad that she was not the only one who had found the corpses disgusting. perhaps, though, they'd be helpful.

Lost amid her thoughts, Aizlyn found herself walking near Hashin and the woman, Rowena. their presence made her feel oddly safer, though she was still suspicious of everyone. as the thoughts ran wild in her head, a strange sensation made her spine tingle. the familiar feeling of beeing watched, only this time it felt hostile, but not directly toward her. glancing around, she saw nothing from the ordinary and caught the other two watching her frantic search.

" does anyone feel as if were being watched. . . " she asked, her voice tapering off as she noticed the klundors looking over their shoulders as if they expected something to attack from behind.

'dont be silly, Aizlyn, youre just jumpy because of that dead magic. youve seen the like of it before, remember....." a voice in her head asked. her imagination, it was terribly overactive and caused all sorts of problems, like the memories of her past, the gruesome bits she'd locked away and never wanted to remember. the visions of her past danced in her head, her imagination torturing her.
"NO!" she screamed, slamming her hands to her temples and falling to her knees.

Posted By: Esioul Aug 03, 2004 - 08:05 am

"Well, they smell" Judith was saying to Shabel-Grah, when Aizlyn suddenly knelt on the ground, shrieking. "For life's sake!" Judith said. She'd already got a headache.

Judith pulled on the reins; the horse danced a few steps, cross, but stopped, twisting its head.
"What? No What?" she asked.

Posted By: Magus Aug 03, 2004 - 08:26 am

Jacatour, like any good warrior would, immediately began assessing the situation. Aizlyn was in a fit of one sort or another. Rowena was focussed inward, he had seen a similer look on Shabel-Grah's face, similar, but not the same. Rowena seemed to be tuning everything else in the world out. Shabel-Grah ran over to the lass and looked directly into her eyes.

"What is it? It's ok, you can tell. What's wrong?" The urgency in his voice gave him presidence.

Jacatour himself went over the the screaming young shape-shifter. He could feel a presence... smell a smell... and hear a sound. Yissam was stalking him again. He couldn't point out exactly where. Jacatour was, uneasy as he felt, fairly calm and passive. Yissam may have sinister methods and a twisted view of the world, but he is honorable to say the least. He will not attack untill I am fully healed. But his primary concern was the shapeshifter named Aizlyn.

Posted By: Neurolanis Aug 03, 2004 - 12:51 pm

"How long until we enter the Land of Avanoor?" inquired Hashin.

"Shortly," said Rathsarann. "Just past those two large hills a couple miles down the way. There will be guards watching people pass. They will inquire as to our purpose. Let me handle it when we get there. I know a thing or two about Avanoor Guard. I'll simply pass it off that we come on merchant trade. If asked trade of what, I'll show them my Birthstone." Rathsarann pulled out a red gemstone, incased in white gold, finely engraved with ancient Klundorien Birth Right Classification. It was a rich child's ransom, and then some. A rare sight indeed, of a craft nearly forgotten in the haze of time.

Hashin looked suspiciously upon him. "You've been this way before?"

"Long ago," Rathsarann passed off. "A simple business venture."

"I pray that's all it was," said Hashin. "We don't need you getting us into donkey dung."

Posted By: Esioul Aug 03, 2004 - 01:05 pm

"Um, I think we already are in donkey dung" said Judith, looking at Jacatour, Aizlyn, Shabel-Grah and Rowena, all of whom seemed to be hearing voices.

Posted By: Neurolanis Aug 03, 2004 - 06:42 pm

"The Wind of Avelkai," said Rathsarann. "It gurads against ill folk, it is said. Voices of the dead who warn away travlers with ill intentions. Something here can't like us very much."

"I sense no evil or threat here," said Hashin. "The voices are not of the dead, but an echo of what once was. I suspect anyone OPEN to such things could hear it, unless engaged in loud conversation. Still, it is of no threat to us."

"Says you, Shaman," spoke Rathsarann. "You do not see all. Your mind is always distracted by voices in your head. I hear them calling to me."

"In your mind," said Hashin. "The imagination is easily carried away by such para--"

"You DARE call me a fool, Boy? Shaman or not, I should SLAY you where you stand!"

Their bitterness was broken by a wind's howl through the trees. "There is a force here that listens to bad thoughts," said Hashin as if reading the wind. "We should keep moving, and try to think happy thoughts."

Rathsarann laughed. "Humans..."

Posted By: Magus Aug 03, 2004 - 06:57 pm

Thomas thought it sound advice. Think happy thoughts. What were happy thoughts to him?...

Raindrops on roses... whiskers on kittens... bright copper kettles... warm woolen mittens...
Brown paper packages tied up with strings... Cream colored ponies... crisp apple streudels... Doorbells... sleigh bells... schnitzel with noodles... Wild geese that fly with the moon on their wings... Girls in white dresses with blue satin sashes... Snowflakes that stay on my nose and eyelashes... Silver white winters that melt into springs... Deovhara.

Posted By: Neurolanis Aug 04, 2004 - 11:35 am

Hashin thought about his love, his long lost love...

Rathsarann thought about money...success...power...high status...and his family in high respect...fine Klundorien women, naked with gold body jewelry, love servants to his Highness, Rathsarann, Lord and Master of Severnia...those who failed to see his greatness bow before him like the miserable worms that they are. "Please forgive us," cries a starving Jacatour. "We'll do your bidding," pleads Aizlyn. Rowena's head sits upon a mantle...

Rathsarann couldn't help but laugh outloud.

Posted By: Magus Aug 04, 2004 - 11:52 am

Jacatour thought of what he pined for the most.

Aliandra by my side... Our cozy little home in the hills... Our pigs... Our sheep... Our goats... Warm sunshine... Cool breezes... Star-filled nights... Cloudless days... Long sunsets... Longer sunrises... freedom from his brother... detatchment from the world as it is... happyness... true happyness...

Posted By: Esioul Aug 05, 2004 - 10:16 am

Judith wondered about what she would spend her money on.. Annoyingly, Rathsarann was laughing.
"What?" she asked.

Posted By: *_* fiery red *_* Aug 06, 2004 - 04:38 pm

when her memories finally relented and her private torture ceased, Aizlyn noticed that Shabel-Grah and Jacatour waited for her to explain her wild thrashing. she stood, dusted off her knees and cloak, her knives catching the early sun, shining ostentatiously only for a moment.

"i-i-i apologize." she stammered weakly. "it was the dead magic, it . . .it makes me uneasy." She knew it sounded hollow but her voice was flavored with truth. Aizlyn surveyed her companions, seeing the head Klundor called Rathsarann watching those around her with a chuckle and for some reason it bothered her.

a strong fervor rose within the young shapeshifter and she knew the klundor was not one to be trusted. her anger flared. why should he find her pain amusing? in thre large, swift steps she was in front of him, her pretty face contorted with surpressed rage. her knives waited anxiously in her hands, at her sides. she seemed suddenly taller, more imposing and dangerous. aizlyn pushed her face close to his, inches away, and snarled angrily.

"did you find my pain amusing, Klundor?" her tone was cold and icy. " perhaps i could find yours likewise."

Posted By: Jade MoonStar Aug 06, 2004 - 06:57 pm

[Hi! I'd like to join in, but after reading some of the most recent posts, I realized I have absolutely no idea who or what everyone who is "role playing" is. (with the exception of a necromancer and shapeshifter) Hope I can fit in here....]

{Jade-Nymph Witch--A good (in comparison to "evil" ) manipulator of the element of air; called by some the "wind walker". She stands at a mere 4ft 7inches, wears long, flowing crimson red robes which cover her almost her entire body (excluding her face, which is cloaked in shadow due to the length of her robes), has shockingly large and yellow eyes with cat-like pupils that are always visble through her shadowed face. She carries no weapons, nor does she ever feel the need for them; her powers in the realm of magic far outweigh any possible means of power and defense a mere staff or sword would do for her. (Jade has an extremely frail body ie, no use for any physical weapon) She always speaks in an extremely soft, yet very stern whisper. Jade tries to be kind to everyone and everuthing she meets(never using her mind-affecting abilities), however, if threatened or insulted, the agittator will hear from her...
As the nick name "wind walker" suggests, through her intense bond with nature, Jade can fly, hover, glide, run, or even walk through any environment with an atmosphere (any place that has air in it, if I'm using the term correctly) Jade can also conjure powerful bursts of wind, directing the force to anywhere within a reasonable distance (ie: limited to her line of sight or the area she is in) Finally, through the power of the wind, she has a from of "telikenis", allowing her to move small or light weighted objects with short, control bursts of wind. Oh, as a final note, whenever she uses any of her magic, the natural yellow of her eyes instantly changes to a sea-foam green, then changes back when she ceases.}
**I have no idea where the characters are right now, since the many last posts don't really provide a geographical location, os I would really appreciate a setting, if you can manage it, that is.**
Thanks for reading and I hope I can join!
Jade

Posted By: Magus Aug 07, 2004 - 05:18 am

The lone mountain loomed in the distance. The sky was slear, and yet a few dark tell-tale clouds were moving in from the South. There would be storm tonight. They had best reach the muntain ere then lest they risk the wilds of the storm.

The path was a simple dirt road, about two horses wide, and stretched on beyond the sight of the party. The land was flat and near barren. Only short grasses and weeds dared grow in this loose dry soil.

The air seemed itslef very thin. It was cool and whispery, howling solftly in a long drawn-out moan. The sun was hot but then air seemed so thin that there was little to protect them from it. It seemed at times hard to breathe, like mountain air.

There was a stale stink in the air, and it was not the "new recruits" of Shabel-Grah. Although there was none to be found, it smelled faintly of a writhing festering bog. The sun was high, it had just passed midday by less then an hour, less even then a half-hour. But it would be a long day still, and they would need to keep moving lest they find themselvfes short of the mountain, and the caves that were undoubtably there, when the storm came 'round to meet them.

Posted By: Jade MoonStar Aug 07, 2004 - 07:52 am

A short, humanoid figure stood slouchingly at the side of the dirt road leading to the mountains. She seemed absolutely at home in the unusal wind that always prequeled a mighty storm.

Now moving in a strange jig (similar to waltzing, only with one person), the figure began to laugh; a childish and innocent laugh.

Her ectacy radiated all around her; travelers who passed couldn't help but cheer up from her "happy dance".

After a few hours and a few singular travelers passing by her, the crimson robe figure stopped with incredible speed. The figure's cat-like pupils thinned, becoming mere slivers of black surrounding by canary yellow.

The unusal being had stopped at the sight of a rather large group of people; all walking toward her on the same dirt road she was on.

Jade (the red-robed, short, dancing figure if you haven't read my above post) gasped with fear as she, after analyzing the group, laid her eyes upon several walking corpses; all moaning and groaning, responding only to a rather tall, red-robed man who, (even though she had been taught necromancy was truely evil) talked in a hauntingly content and happy tone toward the "living dead".

Intensely interested in these strange new travelers, Jade almost flew over to greet them, but stopped, realizing she shouldn't reveal any magical power until it was truely safe to do so, then decided on simply walking over to them.

As Jade reached the companions, she held up her hand and waved a what appeared to be friendly greeting (if that was possible to tell, no one ever saw her face).

Posted By: Magus Aug 07, 2004 - 08:29 am

The prevailing winds picked up a little as the sky became more and more overcast. The light dimmed but Shabel-Grah could still see well enough. But it was not he who first saw the short woman running towards them. Even Jacatour may not have been the first, although the chances were decent that he was.

He turned his head sharply at the figure. Such a strange sight this was, he mused. A short and frail looking woman, certainly not the adventuring type, out here this far in the wilds. Mayhap she was a traveller who had lost her company and her way.

Jacatour's gaze was followed by Shabel-Grah. Only after several moments could he make out a shodowy shape.

First he could only make out two glowing yellow spheres. They bobbed up and down and up and down. Finally slim slits came into focus in their center. They were eyes.

As it grew closer he could begin to make out what it was. The short woman was running over in what appeared to Shabel-Grah to be a child-like glee.

Shabel-Grah realized that the woman shouldn't be out here. She seemed kindly enough, but not made of stern enough stuff. She must have lost her group. This was all that could make sense to the Necromancer. Quickly he muttered a spell under his breathe.

"Atania Alea rae."

The corpses collapsed around them. There was no need to startle the woman. And they could always be remade and recast later if need be. It was always best to be polite, especially when you controlled walking corpses. You never knew who would make your pyre.
Neurolanis
Resident Author
Resident Author

Next

Return to Lycoria: The Stories