speculative visionscience fiction and fantasy

what are yours?

Share your reading list with the community.

Moderators: Bmat, Qray

Bookmark and Share

what are yours?

Postby athalia » Thu May 24, 2007 6:09 pm

what are your favorites?

My all time favorites are Terry Pratchett's Discworld series. And Robin McKinley's The Blue Sword and The Hero's Crown. And of course, the master, Tolkien.

Current interests though, is Elizabeth Moon, and the Deed of Paksenarrion books, and Robert Jordon's Wheel of Time series.
athalia
New User
New User

Postby RHFay » Thu May 24, 2007 7:28 pm

Favourite authors?

Tolkien, of course. His work first got me interested in fantasy literature (via the old The Hobbit animated movie, and then the books). In terms of the art of writing, he was one of the best.

I personally like H.P. Lovecraft's blend of horror, fantasy, and science fiction. His works have also been a great influence on me, especially when it comes to my darker stuff (which seem to be my most successful works right now).

I also like the old Victorian and Edwardian horror stories, where it was all about atmosphere, instead of gore. I especially like the "weird tales"-type stories (which Lovecraft could be considered a part).

I consider Lord Dunsany to be a master of the English language, even if some of his stories can be a bit obscure at times. He was great at writing more cerebral, train-of-thought type literature.

Something different from Tolkien, but just as moving and interesting, is the Earthsea series by Ursula K. LeGuin. I was enthralled by Ged's growth as a wizard, and his humanity. This series had a timeless, otherworldly quality that's so important (in my opinion) to great fantasy.

I think that just about sums up my favourites!
"I'm going to do what the warriors of old did. I'm going to recite poetry!" Andrew of Armar.
RHFay
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Bmat » Thu May 24, 2007 7:35 pm

Favorite genre books and series?

I just finished re-reading Zelazny's Amber series.

Another favorite is the Foreigner series by Cherryh.

And a series that is great fun is the Vorkosigan series by Bujold.
Bmat
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Blog: View Blog (10)

Postby LightBrigade » Thu May 24, 2007 7:41 pm

But, the classics, of course *s*

(If this is a laconic catalogue, listing more names than what any index here could possibly include, I have succeeded in making a useful entry/post).

Athalia, RHFay, Bmat, thank you for your own lists! I will be looking out for the authors you mention *s*
When people agree with me, I always feel that I must be wrong. -- Oscar Wilde --
LightBrigade
Site Regular
Site Regular

Postby Llew » Thu May 24, 2007 8:18 pm

Anne McCaffrey's Pern is on the top of my list, followed by Robin Hob's Farseer Trilogy.
“I Speak Spanish to God, Italian to Women, French to Men, and German to My Horse” - Charles V, King of Spain and Holy Roman Emperor, 1500–58
Llew
True Visionary
True Visionary

Re: what are yours?

Postby dawnzky05 » Mon Feb 02, 2009 5:25 am

Terry Pratchett's Discworld series is my favorite. Second in my list is Robin McKinley's The Blue Sword and The Hero's Crown.

--------------------------
diet add-ons
dawnzky05
Just Registered
Just Registered

Return to Recommended Reading