Welcome to the new forums!

Feedback and suggestions for Speculative Vision. This is also where we make site announcements.

Moderator: Bmat

Qray

Post by Qray »

The Master wrote:You know what, I allow avatar uploads and disable it if it becomes a problem. Uploading only though, no remote linking to images.

Thanks. I look better already. :twisted:

fanuilh
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by fanuilh »

Color scheme is easier to read. I'm guessing the reason I'm not seeing a lot of the icons and such is that it doesn't work well with Mozilla. Is that right? I've enabled cookies and images. I'm able to puzzle out what's where (there's text to tell me where the hot zones for log-out, etc. are).

A bit of adjusting needed.

Magus
Writer Extraordinaire
Writer Extraordinaire

Post by Magus »

If I find one worth having I will. If not... no big loss...

The Master
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by The Master »

fanuilh wrote:Color scheme is easier to read. I'm guessing the reason I'm not seeing a lot of the icons and such is that it doesn't work well with Mozilla. Is that right? I've enabled cookies and images. I'm able to puzzle out what's where (there's text to tell me where the hot zones for log-out, etc. are).

A bit of adjusting needed.

The forum works well in IE6, Firefox (great browser), Mozilla and Netscape 7 (mozilla based). I no longer test on anything older because my logs show that 99.9% of all visitors to this site use one of those browsers (mostly IE6, which isn't surprising). What one person calls "a lot" isn't necessarily what another person calls a lot. This forum is a little more graphic oriented than the old one but we still focus more on the content and not being flashy.

Neurolanis, yes I will be redoing the entire site including the art gallery. The Resource Network made its debut today, the rest of the site is a work in progress and will bleed its way out as I complete things. :D

tiriel
New User
New User

Post by tiriel »

i love this new old site!
Last edited by tiriel on Wed Mar 29, 2006 11:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Neurolanis
Resident Author
Resident Author

Great'o

Post by Neurolanis »

Yeah I like all the buttons and stuff too!

Great to hear it, The Master! I can't wait to the the whole site in the new format! :cheers:

fanuilh
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by fanuilh »

The Master wrote:The forum works well in IE6, Firefox (great browser), Mozilla and Netscape 7 (mozilla based).

OK, I wonder why I'm missing so many things. Oh, well. The "adjusting" I was referring to was mine, not yours. Sorry if that was a bit murky.

I can live with it. I've got Firefox, too, just haven't installed it yet. Maybe it will work better.

Cheers.

jimm2
New User
New User

Post by jimm2 »

The Master wrote:You know what, I allow avatar uploads and disable it if it becomes a problem. Uploading only though, no remote linking to images.

Avatars must be 6144 bytes or less, and no larger than 70x70 pixels.

You should be able to upload them via your profile now...unless I did something wrong :geek:

those are kind of strict size constraints...

i think it would be better limited to 100x100 pixels and 15 or 20 kb...
formerly know as RAINING_BLOOD

Neurolanis
Resident Author
Resident Author

Post by Neurolanis »

Is this site listed on Google yet? I thought I'd say that one of the things they're looking for now, for like high ratings and stuff, is links to top-rated and commercial sites. Yuck, I know, but that's how it is currently. They're also looking for how much if any money you've spent on Google or their products. Yuck again, but it's true. I'd like to see this site get a good rating and all. I'm not sure what other tricks are involved.

Oh they do look a lot for sites that link back to you, instead of sites you're linked to both ways. That's why directories are so great. I wouldn't mind helpng with this myself. SV should hit the directories! :)

Spiderkeg
Site Regular
Site Regular

New Forum Design Template

Post by Spiderkeg »

Anyway to make a template which reflects the old forum? Black and green?

jimm2
New User
New User

Post by jimm2 »

i like this template so much more.
formerly know as RAINING_BLOOD

Aslan
New User
New User

Post by Aslan »

I've been lurking around SV since 2001 (give or take a year). I've always enjoyed the laid-back, friendly, supportive atmosphere. Bmat has been an excellent moderator during that time. Kudos to SV! The new incarnation looks fun and equally enjoyable. It's the people that matter. :D

The colors and style are very mainstream sci-fi. I think I preferred the low-tech, best-friend's-basement look of the old forum. Reminded me of playing AD&D all night in Jr High.

Funcitonality is most important, though. Glad we've got something that works. And there are all sorts of fun options I'm looking forward to exploring.

I'm going to miss all the comments on various books from the old forum, but since I'm not going to go back and copy them all, I'll stop my whining right now. :wink:

My only real complaint is the pop-ups. Really really really annoying. I typically access SV from work. I can't install blockers here. Blech. I don't mind the occasional ad, but popups are evil.

Lastly, will the SV homepage change to match this new look? Will there be current news? What else can we expect to see from Speculative Vision?

Thanks for all the hard work, Master!