Xenogears

Sci-Fi and Fantasy games are some of the most popular on the market. Drop in to talk about your favorites from video games to role playing games.

Moderator: Bmat

Forever Zero
New User
New User

Xenogears

Post by Forever Zero »

Let me lay it down plain and simple: If you haven't played it yet, you need to play this game.

This RPG is quite old, released in 1998 for the Playstation One, and later re-released as a Greatest Hits in 2004. So you should be able to find a copy.

Okay, so I'm going to have to give a full-blown mock review. Its the least of what this game deserves. As many of you know, its my favorite video game.

Graphics
When you look at graphics for this game, you have to compare it to graphics of its era. This game was released back when Final Fantasy VII was big (And because of that, left in the shadows as an overlooked treasure). The game has sprites for on-foot traveling and such (And on-foot battling), which is a good thing if you ask me. I like sprites, it gives you a nice "old-school" feel. The polygonal graphics, like the environments and such, look amazing. In terms of design, I was very impressed. And for its time, the game had some good graphics. Very good. When you explore, you are able to rotate the camera as you wish to see your environment better, as well. Cut scenes are either fully animated (Great graphics), or done in an anime style, which I personally adore. Can't say much for the dubbing on the anime scenes, though.

Gameplay
This is the only RPG I know of with two seperate battle systems. You have a system for on-foot battling, and a system for Gear battling. Gears are basically giant robots. On foot, you have this awesome combo system. Triangle, Square, and X are used for various combos for weak, medium, and strong attacks respectively. Certain combinations give you things called Deathblows, which are basically really powerful combo attacks. But, you gotta learn the Deathblows first. The Gear battling is a more simplistic version of this system, and you get Attack Levels for higher Deathblows and such. Plus later on you get Hyper Mode, which sends your Gear into a superpowered frenzy for three turns. Without a doubt, this RPG has the best battle system I have ever seen.

Storyline
Oh. My. God. This right here is what makes this game so good. This aspect alone, even if this game were a book, or a movie, or a comic book, it doesn't matter what form this game takes, it would've still been my absolute favorite piece of fictional entertainment, just because of the storyline. It would take a very, very long time to explain the storyline, plus I want you all to play this game, so I'm not going to give out any spoilers. But this game has the absolute best character development and plot fluidity, and most of all plot period, I have ever seen. And the strange thing is, the game was rushed to be completed in its final stages due to budget cuts, so Disc 2 is cut short. And it still has the best storyline I have ever seen. In my entire life. I think that says something.

Replayability
You will play this game twice. There is nothing that can prevent you from doing this. Chances are your first time around, you won't understand much. On your second time around you will start to know what's going on, exactly, and it will be just as enjoyable as it was the first time around. On a personal note, this game is so good, I have an annual ritual to play through this game every year. As of now, I have played through this game over twenty times. So if you do decide to play this game and have any questions, I'm your guru.

Characters
Some of the coolest and best characters I have ever seen. The main villain can't even be considered a villain once you understand him. And once you see the ending, you will understand him. Plus, the other villains are definitely worthy of being feared. Some of the scenes involving them have you on the edge of your seat. And you'll never calm down because the scenes have so much of an impact. The characters you play as are also great. No other game I have played gives so much attention to its supporting cast. Not even any of the Final Fantasy series. Every character in the game gets a chance to reveal their side of the plot, and man, are their stories good. Some of the characters have been major influences on the characters I use for my epic.

Buy this game. There is no reason I can think of not to buy it, if you're looking for a good story. Chances are your favorite book, favorite movie, favorite comic... all of those will pale in comparison to this game. I guarantee you this.

Buy it. Rent it. Do something to get your hands on it.
Last edited by Forever Zero on Wed Oct 21, 2009 12:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
So it shall be written, and so it shall be done.

Magus
Writer Extraordinaire
Writer Extraordinaire

Post by Magus »

Hmmmm... apparently I "have" to play this game.

:wink:

Unfortunately I don't have a play station. That kind of sucks...

:cry:

Alaskamatt17
Casual Poster
Casual Poster

Post by Alaskamatt17 »

I really like the music from this game. I don't know if I'll ever play it, though, as I tend to dislike Playstation RPGs.
After a certain high level of technical skill is achieved, science and art tend to coalesce in esthetics, plasticity, and form. The greatest scientists are always artists as well.
-Albert Einstein

Magus
Writer Extraordinaire
Writer Extraordinaire

Post by Magus »

Haven't played Playstation at all (AVERT THINE THROWING-STONES!!!)

I'm more of a PC RPG kind of guy. Very likely the next game I'll buy is Icewind Dale, an old game, yes, but Jimm2 recommended it to me a while ago and he's spot on when recommending games that I like. But, then again, Baldur's Gate III, if it comes out, would certainly outrank it.

The Blind Guardian
New User
New User

Post by The Blind Guardian »

Wow, so I'm really not the only person who really enjoy

I have to agree with everything that was said in that pseudo review. THough I wasn't big on the graphics, I also didn't care about them, so it was okay ... though the designs of many of the characters and backgrounds WERE pretty good. The anime scenes were also nicely done, especially for the time.

Everything else about this game was spectacular however. This is easily the best RPG in terms of story and gameplay (especially story) on the Playstation 1.

The xenosaga series too was almost as good, though it never really lived up to the original. The series is still definately worth a look however. All three games are on the Playstation 2 (which is quite a surprise, considering most serieses span multiple systems.

Remy/The Blind Guardian
Remy/The Blind Guardian

FantasyMan
Adept Scribe
Adept Scribe

Post by FantasyMan »

Im right there with Magus...I just use the playstation for stuff like GT2 and DDR
"We have nothing to fear, but fear itself"

-Franklin D. Roosevelt

R.I.P Aldan we know now, that you are in a better place