Flight Simulator 2004

Sci-Fi and Fantasy games are some of the most popular on the market. Drop in to talk about your favorites from video games to role playing games.

Moderator: Bmat

Boikat
Resident Author
Resident Author

Post by Boikat »

Another interesting feature: Add-on scenery. Usually, it's more detailed airports, however, bless their little hearts, there's also an add-on Battlestar Galactica that has a "landable" hanger. In a curious juxtaposition of Sci-Fi series's, I just landed a B-5 Starfury on the Galactica. :D
Last edited by Boikat on Sun Mar 30, 2008 6:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"I reject your reality, and substitute my own!" Adam Savage, Mythbusters

Boikat
Resident Author
Resident Author

Post by Boikat »

Boikat wrote:FSX has a lot of Battlestar Galactica ships. I'm not to happy with the scale though. If I recall, the Galactica was supposed to be about a mile long. The one for FS-X can't be more than a quarter of a mile long, if that.
I downloaded the BSG "Scenery" file, and with something next to it to compare, it's about right. :)

Qray

Post by Qray »

Can you download any tailsitters for it?
I'm going to die the way I've lived...poor, screaming, and naked.

Boikat
Resident Author
Resident Author

Post by Boikat »

I'm not sure what you mean by "Tail sitters". Tail *draggers*, sure. Lot's of them, but the only one that lands on it's tail that I've seen is the VTOL prop-job from the mid to late 50's, the XVF-1

http://texasbestgrok.mu.nu/images/xfv-1_300-thumb.jpg

Qray

Post by Qray »

Yup, I was refering to the old VTOL aircraft of the late 40's and 50's that had to land on the empennage.

Convair's XFY-1 Pogo, Lockheed's XFV-1 Salmon, the Ryan X-13 Vertijet, and the Snecma C.450-01.

I've heard that they where next to immposible to land. I was curious if that was true.

How about a SR-71 Blackbird? Can you get that for the FS 04?

Boikat
Resident Author
Resident Author

Post by Boikat »

I downloaded the Pogo, and the aircraft.cfg file must need some "tweekage", since it spawns (shows up on the flight-line, ready to fly) it rotates to "tail down", when it's pointed to the sky, in theory, you are supposed to throttle up, and it is supposed to lift off vertically. Instead, it scoots down the runway, and slowly lifts off as if it were a conventional plane. Landing was no better. Either I have to recalibrate my joystick (And see if I can back down the "throttle" power) or that part of the simulation is not up to par either.

I think a lot of the guys that make these various add-on's do some minor tweaks to their setup/software/controls instinctively, and forget to either add the tweaked software to their final product, or forget to add, "and stick you pinkie finger in your left ear, while at the same time stomping your right foot while humming "When Johnny comes marching Home" then throttle up, and your genuine Dr. Strangelove B-52G will lift off the runway..." :roll:

SR-71? Oh yes! Pretty much any aircraft you can think of is available, along with a fir amount of SF spacecraft and fighters, like the F/A-37 fighter from "Stealth", and a few from various anime, too.

(Actually, I can think of a few that are not available, such as the X-2 through X-15, HL-10.....)

Here's the site I download from:

http://www.simviation.com/downloads.html

Under the Misc, there are a lot of interesting fictional ships, like the "Arkship Odyssey" (Which, now that I look at it, resembles a winged dust-buster.... ) :D

Llew
True Visionary
True Visionary

Post by Llew »

Don't know what type of games you generally play, but the choppers in Battlefield 2 are very fun to fly. Takes skill, but once you've mastered the handling of them, you can pull some pretty darned cool stunts. :)
“I Speak Spanish to God, Italian to Women, French to Men, and German to My Horse” - Charles V, King of Spain and Holy Roman Emperor, 1500–58

Boikat
Resident Author
Resident Author

Post by Boikat »

FS2004 has the Blue Thunder and Airwolf. Of course, you cant' blow anything out of the sky, but still, they are fun too. Blue Thunder works in FS-X, too bad Air wolf doesn't. Unless I installed it wrong. :P

A lot of the SF ships and Aircraft fly like helicopters too.

Boikat
Resident Author
Resident Author

Post by Boikat »

Downloaded a AH-64 Apache. Pretty decent. It has added effects of being able to fire a missile, and "tracers" from the nose gun. The missile makes a nice fireball and smoke ball, but doesn't actually blow anything up.

On the other hand, I'm getting pretty good at shooting down JU-88's with a Mossy on FCS3.

Qray

Post by Qray »

Boikat wrote:On the other hand, I'm getting pretty good at shooting down JU-88's with a Mossy on FCS3.
Wait a tick...you're shooting down German planes with a German plane? Dirty pool, old boy.

Or is that the one that Rudolf Hess landed in Scotland?

"What, you figured you'd just slap a U.S Air Force sticker on a Deathglider?"
-Stargate SG-1

Boikat
Resident Author
Resident Author

Post by Boikat »

No, by "Mossy", I mean deHavilland Mosquito!

I did download two versions of SG Deathgliders for FS2004. though. :)

Boikat
Resident Author
Resident Author

Post by Boikat »

Here's some of the SF ships and craft available: