Star Wars IV between the lines.

Seen a great movie or video lately? Heard a juicy rumor about an upcoming release? Share your reviews and thoughts with us!

Moderator: Bmat

ScottSF
Site Regular
Site Regular

Star Wars IV between the lines.

Post by ScottSF »

strange things and questions that come up from seeing a movie way too many times.

First, a trivia question.

Who gets the last word in Episode IV A New Hope?

Driver_Gabe
Site Regular
Site Regular

Post by Driver_Gabe »

No clue, maybe Skywalker.

ScottSF
Site Regular
Site Regular

Post by ScottSF »

It occurs to me that this may be open to some interpretation but I have something very specific in mind. So... no, it's not Skywalker :p.

Neurolanis
Resident Author
Resident Author

Post by Neurolanis »

VADER!! (In cowboy voice.) "Tell my Star Destroyer to prepare for my arrivial..."

Qray

Post by Qray »

I'm thinking either Chewbacca or R2, but I can't remember if Chewie growls before R2 beeps or if it's the other way around. Then again, you said "who" and does R2 qualify as a "who" or a "what" Ah smeg, I'll go with R2.

Well, Wink, do I win what's behind door number two? ;-])

ScottSF
Site Regular
Site Regular

Post by ScottSF »

Nice thinking between the linese, Neurolanis thats the kind of stuff I've been thinking about when watching the movie recently.

Quay, R2D2 is not the answer I'm looking for...

aldan
Artisan Wordsmith
Artisan Wordsmith

Post by aldan »

Well, before it switches to the medal scene, Luke says, "He'll be alright" concerning R2D2. Those were the last intelligible words spoken. Chewie does some of his yelling and R2, when he's show, bleeps and bloops, but it was Luke who had the last words.
"It is better to keep your mouth shut and to appear stupid than
to open it and remove all doubt."
---Mark Twain

ScottSF
Site Regular
Site Regular

the answer is...

Post by ScottSF »

Ok, Intelligibility aside, Chewbacca was the answer I was looking for. But that raises other questions. Like is Chewie talking sometimes and roaring othertimes or is he always talking. Also, I noticed in the award ceremony Chewbacca roared and every turned to the front. Was he giving everyone a comand or did they all just turn because Luke and Solo had passed the column. And most importantly, why didn't Chewie get a medal. He risked his butt just like everyone else.

Oh and I need someone to tell me I'm not crazy. I'm starting to understand Chewbacca when he speaks sometimes. Like he isn't speaking wookie language but making attempts to speak Galactic Basic (English). In EP V I heard him say Luke's name, it came out "nhuke" but he was saying goodbye to Luke when he said it. Now in Ep IV before Solo said "where did you dig up this fossil?" I swear I heard Chewie say "Where did you find him?" It came hout like "ere hid ew hindem" It's kinda like Kenny on South Park.

Qray

Post by Qray »

Lack of medal for Chewie at the Closing Ceremony in ANH.
Many sources (SW comics, the actual books, info from Lucas himself) indicate Chewie did receive a medal, it was just done after the ceremony as he was too tall for Leia to place one around his neck.

Even though this is considered canon, IMO it's a bit of bad writing. In many cultures it's not uncommon to have the recipient of a medal/honor kneel while receiving it. Chewie could've easily done this unless for some reason Chewie would've felt it in some way humiliating or demeaning to do so.

The Wookie Language. Taken from The Wookie Shop, which in turn was taken from Starwars.com...
"Though Wookiees can understand Basic, and other galactic languages, their limited vocal apparatus can only produce their native tongues. The most common Wookiee language is Shyriiwook, a dialect of barks, growls, howls and roars. Wookiee language is very complex and liquid. Violence is such an everyday concern that there are 15 separate words for it in the Wookiee vocabulary."

So to answer the question, Chewie's barks, growls, and other roars are words, though some may be just short of a simple utterance of rage in certain circumstances.

aldan
Artisan Wordsmith
Artisan Wordsmith

Post by aldan »

One thing that I'm thinking is that the actor who played Chewie in the costume, while he was big, from what I understand he had some physical difficulties, so it's possible that they didn't do it because the actor couldn't kneel and get back up in his Chewie suit without help. The other possibility is that since it's based on "the Republic" idea, they may not have wanted the whole kneeling thing to be done, since kneeling implies subservience in most cultures.
"It is better to keep your mouth shut and to appear stupid than
to open it and remove all doubt."
---Mark Twain

ScottSF
Site Regular
Site Regular

Post by ScottSF »

Cool, thanks for the ideas. I think the real reason was probably that Geoge didn't even think of it and Chewbacca wasn't considered much more than a smart pet. Or maybe he was considered the noble savage archetype. Maybe it shows some Human-centrist feelings in the culture. Princess Leah made some nasty slurs, i.e. "walking carpet" Perhaps, because of the Impirial "humans only" agenda, Leah grew with less exposure to Aliens. Or maybe there's a deep distrust among skin beings against furr beings. Oh, even C3P0 called him an overgrown mophead and droids are in the lowest rung of the galactic social ladder.

It ocurred to me that since he is around 300 sy old, Chewbacca probably sees Han, Leah and Luke all as children. Anyway, I enjoy the fleshing out of Wookie culture, even if it is an afterthought.
Time flies like an Arrow. Fruit flies like a banana.
-Groucho Marx

Neurolanis
Resident Author
Resident Author

Post by Neurolanis »

For the classic films at least I know that Chewbecca's language was made up of tapings from lions, bears and other animals. They applied animal speach that sounded like it was saying something relotely English. I too have thought that I could hear what Chewbecca was saying at times..