Hunger Games

Seen a great movie or video lately? Heard a juicy rumor about an upcoming release? Share your reviews and thoughts with us!

Moderator: Bmat

Bmat
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Hunger Games

Post by Bmat »

I've seen Hunger Games twice. The first time I thought good movie, but horrendous premise. I read all three books in the series, and saw the movie again on Thursday. The movie was even better the second time around, because I had more of a feeling for what was going on, and I wasn't worried about characters that I liked- either I knew they were dead or weren't going to be. I'll get the movie when it comes out on DVD.

Hunger Games is about a future world where the working masses are kept under strict control by the Capitol. The Capitol is surrounded by 12 districts which had rebelled against the Capitol and were defeated. To remind the districts of the consequences of rebellion, every year each district sends a boy and a girl as Tributes to fight to the death in the Hunger Games, and only one child may survive. There are a number of references to Ancient Rome and gladiators, as well as reality shows.

The movie is pg-13. I would not take a younger child to see it, because there are a few scenes of violence- although most of the violence is not on-camera, a younger child might be affected.

The Master
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Hunger Games

Post by The Master »

I finally saw it and I have to say that I was pleasantly impressed. The concept is much more well developed than I expected. I also thought it was a fresh and interesting vision of a dystopian society (although I am unclear if it is supposed to be a future earth or its own universe). I liked the "its a TV show" angle in particular. Its not without its flaws, some of which are probably inherent in a story for younger audiences (or at least the source material was), but they weren't so huge as to spoil the enjoyment of the movie.

Bmat
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Post by Bmat »

I'm curious about what flaws you noticed?

I think future in this universe. Did you see something that might point to a different universe?

The Master
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by The Master »

I don't necessarily think its a different universe, but I didn't see anything to specifically indicate it is our own future either. I'll stick the rest in a spoiler.
► Show Spoiler

Bmat
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Post by Bmat »

I see what you mean. I have read the book now and some was filled in. I'm not sure about when spoiler warnings aren't needed, but just in case here are some more.
► Show Spoiler